+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This difficult opening to the season

This difficult opening to the season

Played 4 against teams currently 6th, 17th, 21st and 22nd. Our next opponents are 11th.

3 of our next 6 are against teams in the top 5.

Re: This difficult opening to the season

When do we get to the point where Slade can be given some credit because hands up I've not wanted or rated him from the word go but he does seem to be getting a tune out of what looks a very ordinary squad....at least so far

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee wrote on Sun, 23 August 2015 00:05
    Played 4 against teams currently 6th, 17th, 21st and 22nd. Our next opponents are 11th.
    How do you define a difficult opening to the season? The first 4 opponents are short odds to do well.

Looking at league positions (especially in the championship) after 4 games is madness

Quote Originally Posted by Rhiw-Blue wrote on Sun, 23 August 2015 00:12
    When do we get to the point where Slade can be given some credit because hands up I've not wanted or rated him from the word go but he does seem to be getting a tune out of what looks a very ordinary squad....at least so far
    My post wasn't directed at Slade. It was directed at our fans who looked at the big names like Blackburn, Fulham and thought we'd have a tough start to the season based mainly on how big the teams were. I thought it was an ok start. QPR would be low on confidence after relegation, Fulham were shit last year, Blackburn aren't anything special and Wolves is a great result.

Quote Originally Posted by Tandy wrote on Sun, 23 August 2015 00:15
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee wrote on Sun, 23 August 2015 00:05
    We were favourites for promotion this time last year.....

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee wrote on Sun, 23 August 2015 00:17
    How do you define a difficult opening to the season? The first 4 opponents are short odds to do well.
    You can probably give the stats on success rate of bookies odds regarding promotion.

It's been a solid start for us. The first two or three games are always difficult to judge - no team is in any run of form and match fitness is an issue for everybody.

What we have done is competed well. The late Blackburn equaliser was disappointing, but the team showed real guts coming back at QPR and don't forget, their two goals at Loftus Road were very dubious.

Sitting here in Sydney, things look pretty positive. Slade has overseen only two defeats since 7th March (including the full preseason schedule). We've seen six different goal scorers in our first five games, and all the soundbites I'm getting from interviews with the players and management at Cardiff indicate a tightening bond across the team.

Now, if the supporters groups and "fans leaders" could somehow latch onto this much improved team spirit, then we could all be in for a quality season. All the ingredients are there!

Up the City!!

When the fixture list was first published, I thought we had a tough start. It's very early days, but so far we've exceeded my expectations

At this stage of the season performances are what is important and we have been pretty decent on that count

So now we've done ok in the first 4 games it has n't been a tough start ?

Quote Originally Posted by insider wrote on Sun, 23 August 2015 08:01
    Things SHOULD get a bit easier for us in a few weeks, and hopefully we can use our solid start to kick on

Part of the reason that those teams are in those postions is that City denied them points in the first place

The next 3 games seem a bit easier don't they??

That's simply not true.

Far, far too early to see whether our start was tough or not.

Quote Originally Posted by ★☆★☆★☆ wrote on Sun, 23 August 2015 00:15
    Looking at league positions (especially in the championship) after 4 games is madness
    It is. Meaningless.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower wrote on Sun, 23 August 2015 09:03
    Respect to Slade for taking my advice and dropping The Gunnar and Revell, his coaching and my team selection we could go far.

Slade and Trollope surely deserves some praise don't they?

An undefeated start to this season and I've just looked on 'Football365,' only 2 defeats in the last 10 games of 2014/15 suggest that the coaching team are doing something right.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock wrote on Sun, 23 August 2015 09:29
    Do you expect those 3 to be in the top 5 at the end of the season ?
    No point in starting unfit players.

Quote Originally Posted by alfie sherwood wrote on Sun, 23 August 2015 09:34
    Slade and Trollope surely deserves some praise don't they?
    I was sceptical fo Slade. He is certainly winning me over.

Quote Originally Posted by TH63 wrote on Sun, 23 August 2015 08:20
    Quote Originally Posted by insider wrote on Sun, 23 August 2015 08:01
    If that's in reply to me, no, it HAS been a tough start.
    It was in reply to the OP who was saying it was n`t a tough start which seemed to be based on league positions after 4 games.

I thought it was a reasonable start, and by coincidence, we've made a reasonably good start.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee wrote on Sun, 23 August 2015 14:37
    Do you expect those 3 to be in the top 5 at the end of the season ?
    As a matter of interest which sides DO you think will be top 6 as no one stands out for me.

I was reasonably confident that we would have a solid start to the season and was not that concerned by our first group of opponents. It would be great to get a win at Forest to go into the break unbeaten.
    After that things will start to settle down, with one or two teams showing good form, and a few others struggling.
    We will have a good idea by the following break what sort of season we will have.
    At the moment I am looking top10, but who knows with one or two signings?