+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can we be those oft successful Play Off gatecrashers?

Can we be those oft successful Play Off gatecrashers?

It's often been said that if you're going to be involved in the Play Offs, then the best way to do it is to make a late bid and finish in 6th place.

I will probably be corrected here, but I think our one and only Play Off success came that way v QPR at the Millenium?

We all remember the heartbreak of missing out by one goal at Sheff Weds away on the final day after cruising, and also being comfortably placed for the Play Offs only to lose at different stages. We're just outside now and nearly into March.

So could a change in attacking form starting last Saturday and with a result tomorrow night see us jockeying into a late Play Off run?

Re: Can we be those oft successful Play Off gatecrashers?

A draw tomorrow followed by beating Preston and the Wurzel wankers would really put us in the frame as serious contenders for a play off position.
    Hopefully Saturdays result will be the start of the type of run we need at this stage of the season

Quote Originally Posted by olderblue wrote on Mon, 22 February 2016 21:12
    A draw tomorrow followed by beating Preston and the Wurzel wankers would really put us in the frame as serious contenders for a play off position.
    Next three games will give us a clearer picture.

Agreed. I just wonder how our players will react having had that kind of a run, only to be the away team at the CCS when Leeds bring 85,000 fans down on the 8th March...

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock wrote on Mon, 22 February 2016 21:16
    Hopefully Saturdays result will be the start of the type of run we need at this stage of the season
    On past experience one of the current top six will drop out, we just need to be in the right position to take advantage of that

Leeds United champions of europe, my arse

Quote Originally Posted by Arfur Europe wrote on Mon, 22 February 2016 21:00
    It's often been said that if you're going to be involved in the Play Offs, then the best way to do it is to make a late bid and finish in 6th place.
    That season, including the playoff games, we scored 3 goals in our last 8 matches. I doubt any playoff winning side won promotion with such a dismal end of season scoring run!!

Quote Originally Posted by olderblue wrote on Mon, 22 February 2016 21:28
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock wrote on Mon, 22 February 2016 21:16
    We live in hope. I have said all season we have the quality on the park for better than play offs in my opinion.
    ^^^^^^^^

Recent experience tells us the 6th placed club gets found out pretty easily by superior opposition. Getting 6th place has never been an impossibility this season but that doesn't mean we'll do anything if we get it.

Quote Originally Posted by surge wrote on Mon, 22 February 2016 21:40
    Recent experience tells us the 6th placed club gets found out pretty easily by superior opposition. Getting 6th place has never been an impossibility this season but that doesn't mean we'll do anything if we get it.
    That's the spirit.

Play off can be acheived. It's autos that we need to focus on, plenty of time to gatecrash the top 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Dragon wrote on Tue, 23 February 2016 09:37
    Play off can be acheived. It's autos that we need to focus on, plenty of time to gatecrash the top 2.
    Half of the last 20 seasons would have needed 86 points or more for automatic promotion. 12 wins out of 14?

A fellow eternal optimist.

Quote Originally Posted by Arfur Europe wrote on Mon, 22 February 2016 21:18
    i`m having a half day to get back from Newport for the Leeds game I better take the fvcking week before off

I'm trying not to get too carried away after Saturday's performance, but if we can build on that and go on a run, it's all about momentum. That said, as others have alluded to, if we hadn't thrown points away earlier in the season we'd be challenging for autos.

Putting a decent run together is something that we have failed to do all season. If it happens now we could be in with a chance, but we have to buck the trend first.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee wrote on Tue, 23 February 2016 09:56
    Lol!

We have dropped perhaps 6 points too many to make us serious challengers.

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy corbyn wrote on Tue, 23 February 2016 12:26
    We have dropped perhaps 6 points too many to make us serious challengers.
    Fulham, MK Dons, Bristol City, Rotherham. 4 teams in the bottom 7. 6 matches against those strugglers - 4 points.

Quote Originally Posted by Observer wrote on Tue, 23 February 2016 12:09
    Putting a decent run together is something that we have failed to do all season. If it happens now we could be in with a chance, but we have to buck the trend first.
    As I was saying ...

Quote Originally Posted by Arfur Europe wrote on Mon, 22 February 2016 21:00
    No.

Quote Originally Posted by olderblue wrote on Mon, 22 February 2016 21:29
    I see there having another great 45 minutes

Quote Originally Posted by olderblue wrote on Mon, 29 February 2016 20:32
    Quote Originally Posted by olderblue wrote on Mon, 22 February 2016 21:29
    Leeds United champions of europe, my arse
    Great as long as we dont feel the back lash of this.

Back on again!!

Quote Originally Posted by Observer wrote on Tue, 23 February 2016 12:09