+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: £57m Cardiff Eastern Bay Link Road works set to begin

£57m Cardiff Eastern Bay Link Road works set to begin

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-s...wales-35823638

A £57m project to build a new road linking Cardiff Bay and the east of the city is set to begin.
    The Eastern Bay Link Road will connect the A4232, at the Queensgate roundabout, with the A48, at the Ocean Way roundabout in Tremorfa.

Transport Minister Edwina Hart is due to officially launch the development on Thursday morning.

Work is expected to be completed by spring 2017.

---

Another step closer to Cardiff ring road. Future is looking bright with the city deal, central square regeneration and possible M4 relief road.

Next stop, Commonwealth Games bid!

Re: £57m Cardiff Eastern Bay Link Road works set to begin

I noticed they had cleared land by the roundabout at the end of the dual carriageway, glad to see this is finally happening. Will make the city so much easier to get around.

Presumably the funds for this have been released as part of the city region deal the other day.

Rover way will be chaos unless that's getting revamped as well, but on the map it doesn't look like

So, adding about 400 yards of road on, big deal. As Llanedwryn says, Rover Way will now become an even worse bottleneck than it already is

How does such a small stretch of road cost so much!?

Quote Originally Posted by Mabinogion View Post
    My thoughts precisely...

I went around both roundabouts today and all I can see is chaos if they expect Rover Way to deal with the volume of traffic that's about to descend on that roundabout. The moment that road is opened it becomes the main route for avoiding the Centre of Cardiff for the whole of the Vale of Glamorgan, Cardiff Bay and much of West Cardiff with easy access to the A4232.

The one major benefit is that everyone's going to be able to get to Jimmy's garage a lot quicker

Bit of a second prize really given the fact that what was originally proposed 20 or so years ago was a new road all the way to the A48(M).

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch Mort View Post
    Bit of a second prize really given the fact that what was originally proposed 20 or so years ago was a new road all the way to the A48(M).
    I think we are all presuming that is the next stage.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I think we are all presuming that is the next stage.
    I hope so but it has taken long enough to get this far.

If that drawing is accurate then they are not even going to build a flyover over the round about when you come out of the Bute tunnels as was originally planned.

I did the brickwork on the sides of the flyover to nowhere in 1992, suppose it's the longest ongoing job I've ever been involved in

Quote Originally Posted by Mabinogion View Post
    Land purchases aswell as building the road.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    I did the brickwork on the sides of the flyover to nowhere in 1992, suppose it's the longest ongoing job I've ever been involved in
    Superb bit of brickwork. Every time I drive past it I elbow my wife in the ribs and point out to her what a fine example of British craftsmanship it is. She never looks impressed but to be honest she don't know shit from sherbet.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shitpeas View Post
    Superb bit of brickwork. Every time I drive past it I elbow my wife in the ribs and point out to her what a fine example of British craftsmanship it is. She never looks impressed but to be honest she don't know shit from sherbet.
    Hasn't even weathered.............whereas I have dramatically, strange that!!!!!!

Logically the ski jump route with a dedicated dual carriageway connecting up to the A48(M) should still be the long-term aim to allow traffic to flow freely around the City. Depends on the City region plan being successful in generating new business and jobs I guess.

Not going to happen in my lifetime now I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post
    So, adding about 400 yards of road on, big deal. As Llanedwryn says, Rover Way will now become an even worse bottleneck than it already is
    Bit of a self attitude there.

Perfect for me going home cuts out Ocean Way.

It is a bit crap that it's taken twenty five years after the Bute tunnels were completed and they are building barely half a mile of the barely five miles of road that would complete the ring road.

It is a bit crap that it's taken twenty five years after the Bute tunnels were completed and they are building barely half a mile of the barely five miles of road that would complete the ring road.
    While London gets crossrail, a new Thames crossing at Dartford, hs2, and goodness knows how many other multi billion pound infrastructure projects.
    We can't even have electrified railway lines yet.

But it's better than nothing.

It's chicken feed compared to what we actually need, but it's a small start.

As I've posted previously, we also desperately need:

* The missing J31 of the M4
    * Rail electrification
    * leading to the new Metro plan
    * Dualling of Rover Way
    * M4 relief road
    * New road bridge over Taff in Cardiff
    * Dual carriageway direct link to CWL

Quote Originally Posted by Arfur Europe View Post

* Rail electrification
    * Dualling of Rover Way
    * M4 relief road
    A direct rail line into the airport would be a big one too. It's only about a mile of track.

Quote Originally Posted by Arfur Europe View Post

* Rail electrification
    * Dualling of Rover Way
    * M4 relief road
    Agree with all of that with the exception of j31 of M4. I don't see the point now, ocd aside.

A direct rail line into the airport would be a big one too. It's only about a mile of track.
    a train on a sunday to maesteg would be a start

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Agree with all of that with the exception of j31 of M4. I don't see the point now, ocd aside.
    Would be great for me to get on the M4 quicker - not that I use it much these days, but the problem with that plan is Thornhill and Caerphilly Roads. They are already rammed at rush hour with traffic from over the mountain - add in even more traffic from the missing junction and it would be a total nightmare.

Hopefully when the valley lines rail franchise runs out they renationalise it and also put Cardiff bus under the same control.