+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: New balls please

New balls please

On the report below from BBC Sport on Andy Murray's win in Miami last night it mentions an incident where Murray picked up a ball from the women's event. I never knew they used a different sized ball in women's tennis than they do in the men's.

Britain's Andy Murray and Heather Watson both progressed at the Miami Open on a day when players struggled in the heat.

Murray played in cooler temperatures as he beat Uzbekistan's Denis Istomin 6-3 7-5 in the evening session.

Watson had earlier fought back to beat Belgian Yanina Wickmayer 3-6 7-5 6-3 over two-and-a-half hours.

Fellow Briton Aljaz Bedene was forced out with a wrist injury, while Jamie Murray lost in the doubles.

Having waited until the final session of day six to play his first match, second seed Murray saw off world number 76 Istomin in one hour and 38 minutes.

There was a moment of confusion in the second set when Murray found himself serving with a rogue ball from the women's event, and duly dropped serve.

"The women's balls are very different from the men's balls," he said.

"They're much quicker, smaller, livelier, and when you're just about to serve at break point down, you don't want to be using a completely different ball. So I was just a bit frustrated with that."

Murray broke straight back in the following game on his way to setting up a match against Bulgarian 26th seed Grigor Dimitrov in round three.

Re: New balls please

Well that's a new one on me.

Cue the ball jokes....

Actually the balls are the same size,the difference is that the men's balls are made of a heavy duty felt while the women's balls are made of a more softer felt, as men hit the ball harder the heavier felt helps them last longer

Quote Originally Posted by Llanedeyrnblue View Post
    Actually the balls are the same size,the difference is that the men's balls are made of a heavy duty felt while the women's balls are made of a more softer felt, as men hit the ball harder the heavier felt helps them last longer
    Did you know this or did you just Google it (as I did)?

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Did you know this or did you just Google it (as I did)?
    I always thought that they used the same balls, so I did check when I read Mikes thread.....

Women's balls are fluffier
    Last edited by Llanedeyrnblue; 27-03-16 at 13:30.

Blog Entries

If women's balls are much quicker, smaller and livelier they should be paid more than men.

I always thought that they used the same balls, so I did check when I read Mikes thread.....

Women's balls are fluffier
    You should see mine...

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Steve R View Post
    If women's balls are much quicker, smaller and livelier they should be paid more than men.
    The men play with their balls for 5 sets. Women get bored after 3...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ainsley Harriott View Post
    Men play with their balls all their lives.

Who mentioned quicker,smaller livelier?
    I'm all for equal prize money if they're as good as men let them play the men

Quote Originally Posted by Ainsley Harriott View Post
    Women get tired after 3

Blog Entries

Who mentioned quicker,smaller livelier?
    I'm all for equal prize money if they're as good as men let them play the men
    It was in Mikes post, they are not as good as the men and they could never fairly compete against men because they are physically different, I'm not sure why but some people can't grasp this fact.

It was in Mikes post, they are not as good as the men and they could never fairly compete against men because they are physically different, I'm not sure why but some people can't grasp this fact.
    But women's bodies are better suited for endurance events and women have a greater pain threshold than men so why can't they play best of five set matches?

Blog Entries

But women's bodies are better suited for endurance events and women have a greater pain threshold than men so why can't they play best of five set matches?
    Yeah they could do that but I still don't think they would be equal, it's like Top trumps, some cards are better than others for different things, that's men and women, we will never be the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    On the report below from BBC Sport on Andy Murray's win in Miami last night it mentions an incident where Murray picked up a ball from the women's event. I never knew they used a different sized ball in women's tennis than they do in the men's.

Britain's Andy Murray and Heather Watson both progressed at the Miami Open on a day when players struggled in the heat.

Murray played in cooler temperatures as he beat Uzbekistan's Denis Istomin 6-3 7-5 in the evening session.

Watson had earlier fought back to beat Belgian Yanina Wickmayer 3-6 7-5 6-3 over two-and-a-half hours.

Fellow Briton Aljaz Bedene was forced out with a wrist injury, while Jamie Murray lost in the doubles.

Having waited until the final session of day six to play his first match, second seed Murray saw off world number 76 Istomin in one hour and 38 minutes.

There was a moment of confusion in the second set when Murray found himself serving with a rogue ball from the women's event, and duly dropped serve.

"The women's balls are very different from the men's balls," he said.

"They're much quicker, smaller, livelier, and when you're just about to serve at break point down, you don't want to be using a completely different ball. So I was just a bit frustrated with that."

Murray broke straight back in the following game on his way to setting up a match against Bulgarian 26th seed Grigor Dimitrov in round three.
    And Jamie Murray is about to be announced as the no 1 ranked doubles player , well done the quiet one, and his partner .

Quote Originally Posted by herberthuw View Post
    And Jamie Murray is about to be announced as the no 1 ranked doubles player , well done the quiet one, and his partner .
    Murray knows feck all about tennis balls

Why have women got smaller feet than men ?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    Why have women got smaller feet than men ?
    So we can stand closer to the sink?

So we can stand closer to the sink?
    Boom tush

I don't mind my balls felt soft, or heavy.