+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tata steel to sell entire uk business

Tata steel to sell entire uk business

Bad news for the many thousands of people including me this will effect if a buyer can't be found (unlikely imo)

Re: Tata steel to sell entire uk business

Worse than most thought then

Tara Tata

Perhaps Micky Miller , Archie , sludge and muff can renationalise . Seriously this is shit news , haven't seen the gist but fear the worst .

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Siffredi View Post
    Perhaps Micky Miller , Archie , sludge and muff can renationalise . Seriously this is shit news , haven't seen the gist but fear the worst .
    Can't imagine what this will do to Port Talbot Absolutely terrible news.

Apparently there is some talk of the UK Government stepping in, but I won't hold my breath:

http://www.itv.com/news/2016-03-29/c...-nationalised/

We have simply GOT to safeguard manufacturing in this country or the banks will be the least of our concerns

Its a dead industry, future cars will be made of carbon fibre

Doubt we will have any heavy industry left in the Uk soon. Now if it was a bank that was in trouble that would be another story

Quote Originally Posted by Arfur Europe View Post
    Can't imagine what this will do to Port Talbot Absolutely terrible news.

Apparently there is some talk of the UK Government stepping in, but I won't hold my breath:

http://www.itv.com/news/2016-03-29/c...-nationalised/

We have simply GOT to safeguard manufacturing in this country or the banks will be the least of our concerns
    The government didn't bother sending anyone out there

They will just use this to "bury" other bad news

We have hardly anything left of our manufacturing industry, we have lots of coffee shops and coffee drive-ins though

The government voted not to introduce tax levys on Chinese steel only a matter of weeks ago I think that shows how serious they are about saving the UK industry

Awful news for Port Yalbot

Quote Originally Posted by herberthuw View Post
    Its a dead industry, future cars will be made of carbon fibre
    I really think that car ownership will be only available to the elite in the not too distant future, carbon emissions being the catalyst
    to this, cars will become driver less, owned by Google and Co, people will basically be ordering driver less Cars to take them from A to B, all done from your smartphone and on a subscription service, there will be 1,000's of them going about.

It's more than awful news for port talbot but the whole surrounding areas, it will be a knock on affect to other businesses including mine, Iv done a few jobs for people who work down the steel lately, if people local have no money they wudnt employ me, and that goes for all the other self employed, and people who own shops pubs etc

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nelsonca61 View Post
    I really think that car ownership will be only available to the elite in the not too distant future, carbon emissions being the catalyst
    to this, cars will become driver less, owned by Google and Co, people will basically be ordering driver less Cars to take them from A to B, all done from your smartphone and on a subscription service, there will be 1,000's of them going about.
    Agenda 2030, push public transit, remove free travel, toll roads EVERYWHERE.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Steve R View Post
    Agenda 2030, push public transit, remove free travel, toll roads EVERYWHERE.
    Time for us workng people to stand up and be counted.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy corbyn View Post
    Time for us workng people to stand up and be counted.
    I often feel that it's far too late for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Steve R View Post
    I often feel that it's far too late for that.
    It's never too late. If you fight you might lose. But if you don't fight you will always lose.

Best of luck to the steelworkers relying on our government for help.
    That's not going to happen is it.
    The only thing going in there favour is they got Roy Rickhuss fighting in their corner. The man is an absolute legend in my eyes. If he can't save them no one will.

Who is going to buy a plant that loses £1m a day? While the Chinese are allowed to dump steel at low prices there will be no way back for this plant or indeed steel manufacturing in this country. Nationalisation of Port Talbot might be the short term answer but I doubt whether that will happen. In addition to workers at the Plant there are a number of small firms and sole traders that rely on the Plant for their livliehhoods. I feel so sorry for the workers and their families but I guess even they can see the writing is on the wall.

Quote Originally Posted by Llanedeyrnblue View Post
    The government didn't bother sending anyone out there

They will just use this to "bury" other bad news

We have hardly anything left of our manufacturing industry, we have lots of coffee shops and coffee drive-ins though
    England lost 2-1 last night deliberately to bury this news.

Quote Originally Posted by gandalf1927 View Post
    The government voted not to introduce tax levys on Chinese steel only a matter of weeks ago I think that shows how serious they are about saving the UK industry
    Do you think it may affect the way China treat the goods we export to them?

China and India are holding all the best cards at the moment.

EU need to sort out the tariffs on chinese steel straight away for any steel industry to survive. Can't see anything surviving without tariffs on chinese imported steel.

Hopefully a buyer will be found. Or a part nationalisation until British Steel shares can be sold. Scotland have set a precedent with saving plants, hopefully the UK/Welsh government will step into make sure a buyer can be found, even if not immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    Do you think it may affect the way China treat the goods we export to them?

China and India are holding all the best cards at the moment.
    They know they are dumping their steel below cost to keep jobs. It not like there is a fair playing field in the market.

If we tried to set tariffs on markets that are playing fair then they might have something to say about it, but as they are not playing fair at the moment I wouldn't imagine they would kick up too much fuss. Not heard much action from the Chinese about the 200% tariffs that US have imposed.

industry has been dead in the UK for a long time, this is just the final nail in the coffin, from a country who was proud and made great things we now do nothing

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    industry has been dead in the UK for a long time, this is just the final nail in the coffin, from a country who was proud and made great things we now do nothing
    Presumably, the nail will be imported.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Dragon View Post
    EU need to sort out the tariffs on chinese steel straight away for any steel industry to survive. Can't see anything surviving without tariffs on chinese imported steel.

Hopefully a buyer will be found. Or a part nationalisation until British Steel shares can be sold. Scotland have set a precedent with saving plants, hopefully the UK/Welsh government will step into make sure a buyer can be found, even if not immediately.
    The Welsh government's response has hardly been inspiring so far.. Sit on our hands and hope....

First Team

It's a huge blow for several, already, down on their heels communities.
    The obvious solution is to nationalise and support the industry in the hope that the costs can be offset by the secondary benefits within these areas.
    However, it's hard to see the current government supporting such an idea especially as those affected are probably not natural Conservative voters.