+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Whittingham

Whittingham

I know this will be controversial because there are many Whitts lovers. I like him too, and he deserves great credit for what he has done for us in the past (Ever more distant past)

He has to go.

His presence (not his fault) is why we haven't had a midfield in the last 3 years.

Had he not been available, because he is never injured, we would have become a better team.

Now he's too slow to play wide. Until a rule to allow a player to come on to play set-pieces is implemented, he has no position in any top-level Championship team. And his set-pieces have become fairly hopeless.

Give him 20 yards of space and time to think, and he has a nice left foot. That's not enough. It's like playing with 10 men.

Sorry, he's been a great servant of the club and is a good footballer, but he is nowhere near what we need now, and he confuses managers.

Re: Whittingham

u best be joking dog

100% agree, in fact if that decision was taken 2 years ago we may have been back in PL by now?

Should be the FIRST name on the teamsheet and the side built around him. !

The number of times he looked up yesterday and had no runners creating space was criminal.

He needs quality up front like a Bellers, Chopra, Vardy, someone of that ILK , making runs and creating space.

Best player at the club by a country mile.

He's the Pirlo of the Championship. Just as Malone is the prince of leftbacks and Revell was Slade's best signing.

He needs players making runs off the ball, we don't have that at the moment

Quote Originally Posted by JKB View Post
    He's the Pirlo of the Championship. Just as Malone is the prince of leftbacks and Revell was Slade's best signing.
    He was pirloesque against Bolton in the second half against ten men. Given time and space there is no doubting his quality but he is too often anonymous these days - like he was on Saturday. Think he'd still make a good squad player for next season though

Just kick it down the middle mun.....

Wait for the loose ball for our hard man to get onto.

Dungeon football mentality.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmytaff View Post
    He was pirloesque against Bolton in the second half against ten men. Given time and space there is no doubting his quality but he is too often anonymous these days - like he was on Saturday. Think he'd still make a good squad player for next season though
    the rest of the players around him aren't good enough , he always looks for a pass rather than just hoofing it and hoping for the best , ifthere's nothing on he will pass it around the back to keep possession but he gets booed by fans for doing this

The number of times that he made space for himself yesterday, controlled the ball, looked up but had no bugger making a run. Some of his passing yesterday was, yet again, a joy to watch.

Past his peak, but every time he's been dropped, he's worked his way back into the side with some good performances. Perhaps managers have been to reluctant to drop him, but used more sparingly I'm sure he can still offer a lot.

Indeed it was.

One over his shoulder was lovely.

But we are not watching synchronised swimming. Where did any of his lovely passes get us?

This is the problem. He has no natural position any more, and has lost any spark.

Quote Originally Posted by rich munn View Post
    Indeed it was.

But we are not watching synchronised swimming. Where did any of his lovely passes get us?

This is the problem. He has no natural position any more, and has lost any spark.

Maybe it was playing for a dullard that affected him.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Maybe it was playing for a dullard that affected him.
    He's been exactly the same under other managers. I understand your loyalty to him. Tony, because he has been a great player for CCFC, but no longer. Nowhere near good enough.

Give me an example of when we have won a match this season and he has has starred?

Ralls has had an average season but is much more important because when he picks the ball up he moves forward. Not sideways. Not wondering where his next Horlicks is coming from.

He's been exactly the same under other managers. I understand your loyalty to him. Tony, because he has been a great player for CCFC, but no longer. Nowhere near good enough.

Give me an example of when we have won a match this season and he has has starred?

Ralls has had an average season but is much more important because when he picks the ball up he moves forward. Not sideways. Not wondering where his next Horlicks is coming from.

Took bollox to take a last kick of the game penalty against Bolton

NEXT.

Ralls plays better when Whitts is on the pitch

Whittingham scored 6 (joint second) and assisted 7 (joint top)
    Hasn't lost it yet

Indeed it was.

Agreed. His time is up. I understand and agree with much of what the pro whitts brigade are saying. But we need pace and steel in CM. He has neither.
    Spedger

Feedback

yet another post that demonstrates some city fans are devoid of any sense

I think our entire midfield needs a rethink.

On whose side are you? Your post doesn't disclose that!

And whichever side you are on, how about some argument in favour of it?

Quote Originally Posted by Sloop_Jon_Bee View Post
    Agreed. His time is up. I understand and agree with much of what the pro whitts brigade are saying. But we need pace and steel in CM. He has neither.
    Spedger
    True.

But we also need players who can pass , shoot , cross and take set pieces and he can do all them as good as anyone in this league.

City need to build a side around witts passing ability and how many times did witts and immers link up and make space for pilks this season.

Whitts has never been blessed with pace, so he's hardly lost that has he's aged. What's different between now and when he was at his so-called 'peak', is the players he's playing with. As has been said above, he's got no willing runners and no-one to pick out a through ball with. He's probably been involved in more goals than any other player this season (either scoring or assisting) and can pick out passes that the rest of our midfield can't even see.

Joe Ralls is a decent player, but he is not Peter Whittingham. He will take at least 2, more often than not 3 touches before playing a pass.

It's the usual Cardiff fans being unable to appreciate someone not running around a lot, unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by ccfcwelshlad View Post
    Whitts has never been blessed with pace, so he's hardly lost that has he's aged. What's different between now and when he was at his so-called 'peak', is the players he's playing with. As has been said above, he's got no willing runners and no-one to pick out a through ball with. He's probably been involved in more goals than any other player this season (either scoring or assisting) and can pick out passes that the rest of our midfield can't even see.

Joe Ralls is a decent player, but he is not Peter Whittingham. He will take at least 2, more often than not 3 touches before playing a pass.

It's the usual Cardiff fans being unable to appreciate someone not running around a lot, unfortunately.

I'd build a team around Whitts, two ball winners in midfield either side of him and two speedy wingers and Whitts would be in his element
    Best footballer at the club currently by a country mile