+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wales and the £2 billion from EU

Re: Wales and the £2 billion from EU

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Steve R View Post
    But we are the xenophobic ones for wanting to leave the EU apparently, lets just keep focused on that
    You must be the stupidest person on here, Jesus Christ you post nothing but shite non stop!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rudy gestede View Post
    You must be the stupidest person on here, Jesus Christ you post nothing but shite non stop!
    People have called me all sorts for wanting to leave, you calling me stupid is nothing.

But we are the xenophobic ones for wanting to leave the EU apparently, lets just keep focused on that
    Security will be compromised if we leave, just call me Dave said this morning

Quote Originally Posted by tommy31 View Post
    It's hard to argue for a reform of the Barnett formula when the party in power in Wales wants to keep it exactly as it is.
    But surely fair reform of the Barnett formula would mean Wales gets less money?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nelsonca61 View Post
    Security will be compromised if we leave, just call me Dave said this morning
    Shocker.

Shocker.
    If I was a conspiracy theorist, I would guess that another attack would happen before the in out vote with just call me Dave basking in a I told you so moment, the threat is still SEVERE at the moment!.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Um, ok? Don't see what this has to do with my point?

Quote Originally Posted by Nelsonca61 View Post
    I thought this mornings disclosure by Cameron regarding security was disgraceful and sheer desperation that the gravy train is maintained for the select few, I'm in the out camp anyway but, if I was unsure, after this mornings outburst, it would have tipped me over to the outers.
    He really did appear to be clutching at straws with the " security " speech, shocking stuff

doesnt he know we won 2 world wars

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    He really did appear to be clutching at straws with the " security " speech, shocking stuff

don't know if this is a serious point or not........

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post

I had this discussion on FB yesterday, apparently, we only won bcos, the Americans and the French steamed in

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    And also, probably not. The Barnett formula disadvantages Wales, quite a lot too. Generally speaking, the accepted amount is. Around £300m a year.. We could have. Government fighting for this to change, but instead we just elected the party who like to mean about, but when it came to it decided that they'd like to keep it the way it s after all.

It's hard to argue for a reform of the Barnett formula when the party in power in Wales wants to keep it exactly as it is. Brussels makes up for where Westminster has failed Wales, we wouldn't need the funding if they had looked after us from the start.

To put it short, the government could have signed up to match the funding Wales would get from the EU should we leave, but Cameron said he wouldn't do that. To me, this means we would be £2bn down. No good.
    Tellingly, when asked a month or so ago Cameron said he "Could not guarantee the current levels of funding for Wales should BREXIT be successful" Cameron is desperate to stay in so this would have been a great opportunity to confirm that Wales would be worse off but he didnt. The fact that he didnt suggests that he could not say it with any degree of accuracy whatsoever. The party in power in Wales is happy with the Barnett formula because of european funding but its a false economy.

Out of Europe, Wales has more 'clout' in Westminster because the grovelling corrupt politicians (all sides have them) will have votes to play for. Ignoring Wales completely is not an option for any government in London simply for this reason. IN Europe, its not so important because we get EU structural funds and Welsh Labour get to argue that they negotiated it. OUT of Europe, we will be renegotiating that Barnett Formula, of that there is no doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by cityviking View Post
    This,

People who think that Wales would see even 10 percent of the EU funding from the crooked London tories are completely deluded.
    You missed my point. Currently, under Europe Wales stands to get just £2billion out of the £108 billion the UK will pay to the EU and that is less than 2%. If we could negotiate even 3% from the 'corrupt' Tories we would be better off.
    Under the Blair government, Wales became a world leader and poverty free until the tories got in and stuffed us again - Yes im joking. It makes me laugh to hear Welsh people speak of the tories with so much hate when the Labour government in Wales is stuffing us year after year.

Quote Originally Posted by the leader View Post
    You missed my point. Currently, under Europe Wales stands to get just £2billion out of the £108 billion the UK will pay to the EU and that is less than 2%. If we could negotiate even 3% from the 'corrupt' Tories we would be better off.
    Under the Blair government, Wales became a world leader and poverty free until the tories got in and stuffed us again - Yes im joking. It makes me laugh to hear Welsh people speak of the tories with so much hate when the Labour government in Wales is stuffing us year after year.
    Judging by the calibre of welsh labour, I'd worried we'd negotiate -3%. That is, if they even bothered to try and negotiate.

Quote Originally Posted by the leader View Post
    I don't think that is true though. To start with I think the 2 billion is up to to 2020 while you have calculated it over a 6 year period. In addition to that I think there are extra pots of money that Wales are likely to get. I am not claiming to be a genius but everywhere you look (places with perceived bias and without) everyone appears to acknowledge that Wales pays less into the EU than they receive (usually detailed to be around £70 per head).

I never thought I would say this but we need Feedy back lol

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    I don't think that is true though. To start with I think the 2 billion is up to to 2020 while you have calculated it over a 6 year period. In addition to that I think there are extra pots of money that Wales are likely to get. I am not claiming to be a genius but everywhere you look (places with perceived bias and without) everyone appears to acknowledge that Wales pays less into the EU than they receive (usually detailed to be around £70 per head).

I never thought I would say this but we need Feedy back lol

Behave!

Ah feedback. Indeed. He is pro EU I believe.

https://fullfact.org/europe/wales-ge...t-deal-out-eu/

Accounting for the variety of estimates that we do have available, the annual investment received by Wales could be an estimated €653-747 million per year, compared to an estimated annual contribution of €630 million. So, based on this method, Wales does seem to receive more financially than it contributes
    OP? I don't understand this, so is this wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Behave!
    Well come on then, we need a smart person to debunk the OP. OP is suggesting Wales will receive less than they contribute per head, doesn't appear to be true but I am well out of my depth.

Edit/ Oh god did I just call feedy smart

Feedback

And also, probably not. The Barnett formula disadvantages Wales, quite a lot too. Generally speaking, the accepted amount is. Around £300m a year.. We could have. Government fighting for this to change, but instead we just elected the party who like to mean about, but when it came to it decided that they'd like to keep it the way it s after all.
    The accepted amount by whom?

wales receives more per head than England. a fair settlement would see England's rise with everyone else falling. you can't just take the settlement apropos of Scotland in isolation

Quote Originally Posted by TISS View Post
    The accepted amount by whom?

wales receives more per head than England. a fair settlement would see England's rise with everyone else falling. you can't just take the settlement apropos of Scotland in isolation
    So is fair giving a poor person the same amount as you'd give a rich person?

Feedback

So is fair giving a poor person the same amount as you'd give a rich person?
    you asked for fair, would you consider tyneside better off than Wales?

Barnett is poor. but it doesn't mean Wales does bad out of it. in fact we do very well.

Quote Originally Posted by TISS View Post
    you asked for fair, would you consider tyneside better off than Wales?

Barnett is poor. but it doesn't mean Wales does bad out of it. in fact we do very well.
    I'd consider england richer than wales yes.

http://www.ifs.org.uk/publications/7444

And another one for you:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indepe...ance_for_Wales

That is, if we were a region in england, we'd get £300m more.

Feedback

the uk contribution to the eu per capita is about £130 per annum (£8bn net per annum)

with matched convergent funding Wales receives around £160 per capita per annum (£3bn matched from 2014-2020)