+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: 31 years ago today the Bradford Disaster

31 years ago today the Bradford Disaster

56 people went to a football match and never made it home.
    RIP the 56.
    Never forgotten.

Re: 31 years ago today the Bradford Disaster

Df anyone hear the thing on this last year which was investigating whether the fire could have been deliberate?

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Df anyone hear the thing on this last year which was investigating whether the fire could have been deliberate?
    I remember that.
    The owner alledgedly had some previous with fires and insurance fraud.

Nothing seems to have happened, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Yes some man has written a book on it saying the owners had previous for burning down Mills that they own to get the insurance money.
    I can`t see that they would do it with people in the stadium though.

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    I remember that.
    The owner alledgedly had some previous with fires and insurance fraud.

Nothing seems to have happened, though.
    I saw it but think the bloke is dead now.

8 of his previous businesses burnt down inn suspicious circumstances.
    The subsequent inquiry was very lightweight and there are questions over some evidence that a police officer had given.

Quote Originally Posted by insider View Post
    Yes some man has written a book on it saying the owners had previous for burning down Mills that they own to get the insurance money.
    I can`t see that they would do it with people in the stadium though.
    From what I understand, the book is quite smart with its allegations and never fully points the finger. But the general theory is that a fire at 5am on a Thursday morning in an empty stand is very suspicious, but one during a game is not so - because who would deliberately start a fire while there are people in it, as you say.

It's not hard to imagine a situation where someone who wants to get insurance for a fire starts one when there are plenty of witnesses about, and it quickly getting horribly out of hand. This may not be what happened but it's plausible.

Daniel Taylor wrote a few articles in the Guardian about it and there was some very odd things that happened that day (which I can't remember now as it was a year ago that I read it) which make you think this probably wasn't just an awful tragedy.

I read the allegations last year and in light of the fact that everything to do with the 1980s now seems to be corrupt, it would be worth looking into!