+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Turner released

Turner released

Bye bye Ben. Thanks for the memories.

Blue in the Face

Re: Turner released

Link?

Wouldn't be surprised if this were true. It might be more a case of him getting a better offer elsewhere rather than us releasing him

Unless he was on silly money that's an odd one, I think he could've done a decent job for us next season.

Blue in the Face

I suspect I'll be alone on this one... Giving contracts to injury prone players is a luxury we simply can't afford anymore. The FFP budget restriction will tighten now the parachute payments come to an end.

Would have loved him to stay but really needs to get his career back on track with a club that will guarantee him a starting place.

Will never forget his top class performance against Villa at the CCS. And of course, one of my favourite City goals of all time in the Carling Cup Final!

Quote Originally Posted by Blue in the Face View Post
    I suspect I'll be alone on this one... Giving contracts to injury prone players is a luxury we simply can't afford anymore. The FFP budget restriction will tighten now the parachute payments come to an end.
    Spot on, did well for us at times and we won't forget the league cup final, but you can't be giving contracts out to guys with his injury record.

Cheers feller, good luck.

Will be interesting to see where he goes now, and how he does there. Another one capable of haunting us - some other place at some other time.

Perhaps Cardiff Blues will take a punt on him as he loved to find touch with an 80 yard diag

Ben will never be the best passer of the ball, but if I had to pick one centreback who has been at the club in the last five years to go out and do what they are supposed to do best (i.e defend) it would have been the Ben Turner of three or four seasons ago. Sadly. he's been out injured so much in the last two seasons that it's been virtually impossible to tell if he can still reach those standards and, given that he had suffered long term injuries at Coventry as well, I can understand their decision if the club have decided not to offer him a new contract.

I'll also miss Ben for his media conferences which were far more interesting and insightful than most player interviews you hear and I certainly won't forget the one where he explained why he had opted not to represent Wales - I wanted to be critical of him for letting my country down, but ended up respecting him for his honesty.

Ben deserves a few seasons free from injury now. I hope he finds them and, if he does, he could be an excellent signing for someone this summer - some players you say "good riddance" to when you hear they are going, but that's the last thing that occurs to me with Ben, "thanks for the memories" is what I say to him.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Ben will never be the best passer of the ball, but if I had to pick one centreback who has been at the club in the last five years to go out and do what they are supposed to do best (i.e defend) it would have been the Ben Turner of three or four seasons ago. Sadly. he's been out injured so much in the last two seasons that it's been virtually impossible to tell if he can still reach those standards and, given that he had suffered long term injuries at Coventry as well, I can understand their decision if the club have decided not to offer him a new contract.

I'll also miss Ben for his media conferences which were far more interesting and insightful than most player interviews you hear and I certainly won't forget the one where he explained why he had opted not to represent Wales - I wanted to be critical of him for letting my country down, but ended up respecting him for his honesty.

Ben deserves a few seasons free from injury now. I hope he finds them and, if he does, he could be an excellent signing for someone this summer - some players you say "good riddance" to when you hear they are going, but that's the last thing that occurs to me with Ben, "thanks for the memories" is what I say to him.
    Spot on 👍

I'd go along with all that Bob. He got found out a bit for his lack of ball retention in the premier league and letting him have the ball was often a tactic used by the opposition, however he often carried Caulker that season and has been a rock at centre back since he arrived at the club.
    I wish him all the best and hope he gets his career back on track

You are right. I love Turner but we have to look at the wider picture.Good luck and thanks Ben.

I'd just like to add my thanks to this thread. Ben's goal at Wembley nearly caused me a heart failure. On top of what's been said, I've had the fortune to meet Ben on a few occasions and he's the opposite of many footballer. Quiet, introvert, unassuming and a really top man.

Good luck & thanks Ben. I hope you gone on and have many injury free seasons. I've got a feeling you might play against us sometime next season.

There's no actual official confirmation of this though is there?

THIS^^^

Best of luck in the future Ben and thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gabbsthenewt View Post
    Nope, all I've seen is rumors on twitter and both messageboards.
    Wouldn't surprise me if true, but nothing confirmed.

Feedback

can't pass, couldn't shoot but did what he was paid to do - that is - defend. I like Turner and will be sorry to see him go

Thanks for THAT goal Ben, there was a lot of man love going on straight after that

Quote Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
    Would have loved him to stay but really needs to get his career back on track with a club that will guarantee him a starting place.

Will never forget his top class performance against Villa at the CCS. And of course, one of my favourite City goals of all time in the Carling Cup Final!
    Yep - that is one of my all time favourite City goals as well. I'll never forget him for that.

Blue in the Face

A few years ago he was Premier League without the ball, but League Two with it. Quite over rated by City fans for me, perhaps because he tended to do well in high profile games.

I think Bruno from the 14/15 season was a much better player. Hudson too brought more to the table.

Some great memories though indeed. Good luck Ben.

Would be an excellent signing for a top division 1 club

Why play him in the last game if we were going to release him? May as well have given a youth player a run out for experience.

Quote Originally Posted by ken smith View Post
    Why play him in the last game if we were going to release him? May as well have given a youth player a run out for experience.
    Lets him prove his fitness for any interested clubs. Least we could do after his 5 years service.

Blue in the Face

Quote Originally Posted by ken smith View Post
    I guess to show thanks and respect for the service. Help chuck him in the shop window.

Agree, we should've had youth players in the game though.

Concur.

Will miss his 50 yard diagonal puts up the field.

Good servant for the City with that one abiding memory at Wembley; thanks Ben.

Quote Originally Posted by gabbsthenewt View Post
    Yes, it's about time we announced our retained list, lots of clubs have done so in the last week, and some announced who was going even before the last game.