+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Turner released

Re: Turner released

I am surprised that almost everyone commenting on this un-sourced story believe it to be true. There has been no corroboration and the only news story I have seen that backs it up is Coventry Mad who seem to be quoting this Board (or ****).

I think Turner is out of contract on 1st July - so 6 weeks away. The club haven't appointed a new manager (coach) yet.

There are more stories today linking Manga to a move away with one year left on his contract - this time saying Palace, Swansea and West Ham are in the frame. Manga was rightly Player Of The Year in 2014-15, but inconsistent and injury plagued in the last season. If a reasonable offer comes in I would expect the club to sell.

That leaves Connolly, Morrison (out injured until mid summer and will miss part of pre-season at best), Oshilaja and Ajeyi. Peltier could cover at CB but that is only a short term fix. Given that picture I wonder why the club would make a decision now (before the manager appointment and before assessing Manga interest, and before getting more information on how Morrison is recovering) and decide to jettison Turner.

In my opinion Ben Turner is a smart and very effective defender. He may not have much pace and he may be an average footballer, but he does his main job very well - certainly at Championship level. He is also an impressive personality who speaks clearly and honestly about the club and the team. He is a 'captain' even if he doesn't have the badge.

Every time Russell Slade has spoken about Turner in recent months it has been glowing. He seems to rate him very highly and all the signs seemed to suggest to me that a new contract for him was in the offing. Slade may not have any serious input into decisions about the playing squad any more (I assume he is still trying to find a Job Description?) or the medical opinion may be that Turner is much too prone to further injury to take a risk. If so, that would be sad but fair enough.

However, if there isn't any evidence to suggest that Turner will spend most of next season injured, I would like to see him given a new contract - even if only for one year with an extension option. If Coventry or some other club then come in and offer him a longer term deal that gives him more security and prospects of playing, and he likes that better, then (again) fair enough and we can say goodbye with thanks.

But dumping him now - if that is really the club's decision - seems daft to me.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    I am surprised that almost everyone commenting on this un-sourced story believe it to be true. There has been no corroboration and the only news story I have seen that backs it up is Coventry Mad who seem to be quoting this Board (or ****).

I think Turner is out of contract on 1st July - so 6 weeks away. The club haven't appointed a new manager (coach) yet.

There are more stories today linking Manga to a move away with one year left on his contract - this time saying Palace, Swansea and West Ham are in the frame. Manga was rightly Player Of The Year in 2014-15, but inconsistent and injury plagued in the last season. If a reasonable offer comes in I would expect the club to sell.

That leaves Connolly, Morrison (out injured until mid summer and will miss part of pre-season at best), Oshilaja and Ajeyi. Peltier could cover at CB but that is only a short term fix. Given that picture I wonder why the club would make a decision now (before the manager appointment and before assessing Manga interest, and before getting more information on how Morrison is recovering) and decide to jettison Turner.

In my opinion Ben Turner is a smart and very effective defender. He may not have much pace and he may be an average footballer, but he does his main job very well - certainly at Championship level. He is also an impressive personality who speaks clearly and honestly about the club and the team. He is a 'captain' even if he doesn't have the badge.

Every time Russell Slade has spoken about Turner in recent months it has been glowing. He seems to rate him very highly and all the signs seemed to suggest to me that a new contract for him was in the offing. Slade may not have any serious input into decisions about the playing squad any more (I assume he is still trying to find a Job Description?) or the medical opinion may be that Turner is much too prone to further injury to take a risk. If so, that would be sad but fair enough.

However, if there isn't any evidence to suggest that Turner will spend most of next season injured, I would like to see him given a new contract - even if only for one year with an extension option. If Coventry or some other club then come in and offer him a longer term deal that gives him more security and prospects of playing, and he likes that better, then (again) fair enough and we can say goodbye with thanks.

But dumping him now - if that is really the club's decision - seems daft to me.
    Maybe he'll get offered a one year deal in reduced wages?

Classic cardiff city incompetence leeting Turner go if its true. Morrison has had exactly the same operation as Turner and will be out for 3 to 4 months. Manga cant wait to get away and we let a guy go who has just returned to fitness?

Yes, if Ben is released we'll be left short of central defenders.

Seems an odd decision, if true.

Thought he was outstanding until tiring late on in the Brum game.

As we all know he isn't the best passer but he is a very good centre half and a leader, if he had the other aspects to his game he would probably be playing at a higher level. If this story is true I think it's a poor decision to let him go.

This thread can't pass without another look at this. One of my most memorable moments watching the City.

The noise I made when that goal went in wasn't human.
    Pure primitive.

I went to Wembley just hoping we could put a decent performance in that day when Ben scored I honestly thought we was going to win so was absolutely gutted at the end . Turner and especially Hudson was superb that day

Quote Originally Posted by Seabird View Post
    Yes, if Ben is released we'll be left short of central defenders.

Seems an odd decision, if true.

Thought he was outstanding until tiring late on in the Brum game.
    When fit hes still the best DEFENDER in the club. Him and Huds kept 19 clean sheets in the season we went up. Turner has been to brave for his own good sometimes. We will find it v hard to find a 6'4" left footed centre back for free!! Its a crazy decision after weve paid his wages all season to get him fit only to let him go??

Blue in the Face

Hmm. Jon is right. Nothing online to substantiate this story.

If he re-signs with us then that will mean the medical team are happy his injuries are behind him. Can see him being offered a good contract elsewhere if we don't make a decision on him quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by chepstow View Post
    When fit hes still the best DEFENDER in the club. Him and Huds kept 19 clean sheets in the season we went up. Turner has been to brave for his own good sometimes. We will find it v hard to find a 6'4" left footed centre back for free!! Its a crazy decision after weve paid his wages all season to get him fit only to let him go??
    "When he's fit". There you go. Enough said.

Quote Originally Posted by CCFC CASUAL View Post
    "When he's fit". There you go. Enough said.
    We might be saying the same about morrison!! Hes out for 3 to 4 months

We spent 9 million on Morrison and Manga and that they are no better than Hudson and Turner were says something about the quality of the latter over a season. Hudson is no approaching retirement and Turner has had his injury problems.

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy corbyn View Post
    Bye bye Ben. Thanks for the memories.
    Cue Grangetown to tell us he's better than Ash...

*ducks for cover

Also too slow. He's 28 now and should be in his prime but sadly injury I feel has ended his career at this level. Never going to get a run of games to even get himself up to full fitness.

Wish him all the best but it's time for both parties to move on and try some new blood.

Turner has not been released, city are waiting for the new manager to be appointed, so that he can have an input with the committee, to decide if Turner will be offered a new contract

Quote Originally Posted by chepstow View Post
    We might be saying the same about morrison!! Hes out for 3 to 4 months
    Turners been out for the best part of 24 months.