+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Frazier Campbell - would you like to see him back?

Re: Frazier Campbell - would you like to see him back?

If wages were right it's a no brainer. Why the hell would he want to come back though?

Fraizer (nor Frazier :-D) runs the channels well which has many offensive benefits... such as forcing the back line to defend deeper, allowing our more creative midfielders more space on the pitch to do their thing.

Problem is, as has already been mentioned, he is injury prone. This is more than likely down to the length of time he's been plying his trade and sheer nature of his style of play.

Even though I don't think we should go in for him, FC is the 'type' of striker I like and one that will see us progress.

And a big no from me

Quote Originally Posted by *** G L O V E S *** View Post
    Would rather we go all out and bring Mutch back to the club
    No to both of these individuals they both couldnt wait to get away after our relegation. Dont want, either back now

Quote Originally Posted by Aramore View Post
    Proven quality in the championship, can't see him costing that much as Palace only paid pittance for him and he's barely ever played for them..
    Here's the conundrum. We'd be expecting him to replicate what he did in the Championship with us before. He's had 3 seasons as a failed striker battering at his confidence to contend with.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Amazingly 5 of Campbell's Premier league goals came against Man City (3), Man Utd and Liverpool (1). His only other strike was in a 2-2 home draw against Sunderland. That means 2/3rds of his goals came against the top two. Had he been able to get anywhere near that strike rate when it mattered against mid table sides and teams at the bottom we might have had half a chance of staying up, but 1 goal against the teams placed 8th-19th was piss poor.

This season has not exactly been a success for him, either. 4 starts in the Premier league, substituted in every one of them, 7 further appearances as a substitute, 6 hours of time on the pitch and no goals.
    Cardiff play in the Championship, don't they?

Quote Originally Posted by Badly Ironed Shirt View Post
    Bloody hell, you're quick. I've gotta hand it to you. No flies on you.

Quote Originally Posted by Badly Ironed Shirt View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Bloody hell, you're quick. I've gotta hand it to you. No flies on you.
    I think he might be basically saying that knowing Campbell's Premier League record is useless when deciding on whether he can score goals for us in the 2016/17 season...

How many has he scored in a World Cup? Eh? Eh?

Exactly.

And I'm including women's World Cup too.

Quote Originally Posted by Ainsley Harriott View Post
    I think he might be basically saying that knowing Campbell's Premier League record is useless when deciding on whether he can score goals for us in the 2016/17 season...
    Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    He played 12 games in the championship for us and scored 7 goals. That's a good tally for any striker. He also scored twice in our opening Premiership game against Manchester City.
    This quote makes Campbell sound like a top striker. The rest of my post was to balance his Premier league exploits.

As for Premier league exploits being no guide as to whether he could score goals for us next season, I don't necessarily disagree. The point of my reply to Vindec wasn't to suggest otherwise. However, consider the following:

Jay Bothroyd - 41 goals in 116 league appearances is a decent Championship record. Jones took him to Sheffield Wednesday after a poor Premier league season where he scored 1 in 14.

Adam Le Fondre scored lots of goals for Reading in both Championship and Premier league, yet joined us and could hardly find the net.

Russell Slade wanted to sign Daryl Murphy after one fantastic season for Ipswich. Last season he failed to score in 24 out of 30 starts, though thanks to a hat trick and a couple of braces he managed to reach 10 goals.

Campbell had a good strike rate in this division (5 in his first 3 games was explosive) but that was as a part of a Championship winning team which had a midfield that would press, harass and cause mistakes. It was probably just a bit more creative than our current midfield as well. I would also argue that his past form for us is largely irrelevant and, as I've already mentioned, we're presuming he'd come in and do the same as he did before. That's a big presumption.

Also, something else to throw into the mix - we know he's not a Premier league quality striker. If the aim (chortle) is promotion, then signing Campbell would be very short term. I'd much rather someone with potential that, if we were to get back there in a season or two (stranger things have happened), could maybe do a job for us there as well. I think it's called building for the future.

The question was a simple one although I should have added "at the right price" which would then have focused on his ability to score goals.

Irrespective of the past, does he have the confidence and skill to turn half chances into goals and could he still do a job in the Championship.

In my view he is a six yard box striker and will do well if his teamates get the ball into the box more than on an occasional basis.

As a lone striker meant to do everything. No.