+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For all those that thought Tony Benn told it as it was - without the BS tactics

Blog Entries

Re: For all those that thought Tony Benn told it as it was - without the BS tactics

Love democracy? Then leave the EU

http://www.spiked-online.com/newsite...4#.V0Q4ofkwhdg

Re: For all those that thought Tony Benn told it as it was - without the BS tactics

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Steve R View Post

Ya,but, it don't mention the "ILK".

Some big words in there though

One of the very last conviction politicians. I canvassed for him in Bristol in 1983. That video is a hard watch - he's obviously not going to be with us for much longer. RIP Tony.

Quote Originally Posted by Robin Friday's Ghost View Post
    he's obviously not going to be with us for much longer. RIP Tony.
    He died two years ago? Unless you meant the video was obvious he wasn't going to be around for much longer.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bob Banker Spanker View Post
    He died two years ago? Unless you meant the video was obvious he wasn't going to be around for much longer.
    You are replying to a ghost in fairness

Quote Originally Posted by rudy gestede View Post
    You are replying to a ghost in fairness
    Spooky.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bob Banker Spanker View Post
    This. When the video was filmed, he's was obviously nearing the end of his life.

Tony Benn was a bullshitter. He was from a very rich family and made a big fuss about giving up his Lord Stansgate title in the early 60's.
    He was a trouble maker in the Labour party for years whilst living in a great big house in Hampstead.
    Corbyn ( also from a posh background ) seems to have modelled himself on Benn.

Funny how some little rich boys have to pretend they are men of the people and some little poor boys like Goslow
    like to pretend they are posh Tories like Alf Garnett.

Before anyone starts I'm a Labour voter btw.

Quote Originally Posted by ninianclark View Post
    If you are or were a Labour voter (or even if you werent) - then Tony Benn was seen as an honest hard working MP - one of the few. One of the few who told it exactly how it was and was a man of principal. Just watched this from the Oxford Union Debate a few years ago.
    Not 100% sure what he was getting at. Civil servants in the UK are not elected either.

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Cærdiffi View Post
    Not 100% sure what he was getting at. Civil servants in the UK are not elected either.
    Democracy in the UK feels like an overblown concept at the moment. As you say, we don't elect the many incredibly powerful people in Whitehall. We don't directly elect the Prime Minister, the party in government do. Then when we finally realise they are in the pocket of a load of rich people who allowed them to be there in the first place, as Benn says, we can remove them and elect a new bunch of puppets.

This all leads to a system which rewards and therefore unknowingly insists upon short-sighted policies.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    Democracy in the UK feels like an overblown concept at the moment. As you say, we don't elect the many incredibly powerful people in Whitehall. We don't directly elect the Prime Minister, the party in government do. Then when we finally realise they are in the pocket of a load of rich people who allowed them to be there in the first place, as Benn says, we can remove them and elect a new bunch of puppets.

This all leads to a system which rewards and therefore unknowingly insists upon short-sighted policies.
    I see what you're saying, we need a dictator. Do you have a website or perhaps a book detailing your struggle?

Love democracy? Then vote how Mrs R tells you ;)

Quote Originally Posted by ninianclark View Post
    If you are or were a Labour voter (or even if you werent) - then Tony Benn was seen as an honest hard working MP - one of the few. One of the few who told it exactly how it was and was a man of principal. Just watched this from the Oxford Union Debate a few years ago.

This is quite sad to see Tony Benn like this

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Badly Ironed Shirt View Post
    Love democracy? Then vote how Mrs R tells you ;)
    I'm not telling anyone to do anything, that is the title on the article.

Quote Originally Posted by Nelsonca61 View Post
    This is quite sad to see Tony Benn like this
    You should see him now.

I'm not telling anyone to do anything, that is the title on the article.
    I've long since stopped clicking your links.

Blog Entries

I've long since stopped clicking your links.
    Why comment then?

Why comment then?
    Your comment suggested that, if you like democracy, then you should vote one way. I was just pointing out the irony (i.e. Democracy means voting the way you choose, not as others would choose)

I thought the comments were your own, perhaps some quotation marks will make it clearer next time?

Blog Entries

Your comment suggested that, if you like democracy, then you should vote one way. I was just pointing out the irony (i.e. Democracy means voting the way you choose, not as others would choose)

I thought the comments were your own, perhaps some quotation marks will make it clearer next time?
    Yep, no problem, I will slap my wrist and make sure I add them next time ok?

Yep, no problem, I will slap my wrist and make sure I add them next time ok?
    Hehe.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BlueWales View Post

Funny how some little rich boys have to pretend they are men of the people and some little poor boys like Goslow
    like to pretend they are posh Tories like Alf Garnett.

Before anyone starts I'm a Labour voter btw.

Blog Entries

"The left wing case for leaving the EU"
    http://www.newstatesman.com/politics...ase-leaving-eu

For those interested (not the shirt man obviously)

"The left wing case for leaving the EU"
    http://www.newstatesman.com/politics...ase-leaving-eu

For those interested (not the shirt man obviously)
    He's doing the ironing

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nelsonca61 View Post
    He's doing the ironing

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post

Too right. My vote counts for nothing in a General Election.. Millions of us have wasted votes. Democracy only really counts in the marginal seats when a vote matters.