Taylor - 5
    Allen - 7
    Ledley - 6
    Ramsey - 7
    Bale - 6
    Robson-Kanu - 7

J Williams - 7
    Edwards - 6

Don't get me wrong I like the game plan of playing on the counter but in the second half I can't recall us getting any decent opportunity apart from Jonny Williams' shot over the bar. Bale never in the game bar his goal, Ramsey looking to play the ball forward all the time but no support up top.

Hennessey didn't have anything to do bar the goals and didn't get near them unfortunately. Taylor was absolutely ruined by Kyle Walker and his end product was pretty poor throughout. Didn't see Gunter get forward much which was disappointing.

Overall thought we were way too conservative and naive to think we could hold on for another 40 odd mins after Vardy scored, especially when they were coming again and again and again. Disappointing but I feel we will get at least a point out of Russia.

Re: Player ratings

Quote Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
    Hennessey - 6
    Gunter - 6
    Chester - 6
    Williams - 6
    Davies - 6
    Taylor - 5
    Allen - 7
    Ledley - 6
    Ramsey - 7
    Bale - 6
    Robson-Kanu - 7

J Williams - 7
    Edwards - 6

Don't get me wrong I like the game plan of playing on the counter but in the second half I can't recall us getting any decent opportunity apart from Jonny Williams' shot over the bar. Bale never in the game bar his goal, Ramsey looking to play the ball forward all the time but no support up top.

Hennessey didn't have anything to do bar the goals and didn't get near them unfortunately. Taylor was absolutely ruined by Kyle Walker and his end product was pretty poor throughout. Didn't see Gunter get forward much which was disappointing.

Overall thought we were way too conservative and naive to think we could hold on for another 40 odd mins after Vardy scored, especially when they were coming again and again and again. Disappointing but I feel we will get at least a point out of Russia.
    Yep pretty much agree with all of this. I would give Allen a 6 though.

I don't know, I thought Allen did a decent job today and did most things as he normally does; kept their midfield at bay for a long time and wasn't rash in the tackle like Ledley was occasionally. Would have been more use if we had the wing backs getting forward more to give options up front and a bit of width but there wasn't anything and England deserved it in the end. I can't remember Walker or Rose having to deal with anything of significance defensively.

I didn't enjoy watching that second half because Wales offered nothing in attack and invited Sturridge, Vardy, Rooney and co. to get at them which is bloody naive. Coleman said in his post-match interview how talented the England side are and how many forward options they have, yet we sat back with 11 men behind the ball like Northern Ireland did against Poland and paid the price (though harsh in the dying minutes).

England didn't even have to deal with Bale because he was positioned so deep, they must've had a good laugh about that after the game.

We didn't play well and gave them far too much time on the ball. Why do that? We were inviting pressure

I'm sure Robson-Kanu would have earned a contract somewhere after that very hardworking performance.

Did Bale play ?

I don't know, I thought Allen did a decent job today and did most things as he normally does; kept their midfield at bay for a long time and wasn't rash in the tackle like Ledley was occasionally. Would have been more use if we had the wing backs getting forward more to give options up front and a bit of width but there wasn't anything and England deserved it in the end. I can't remember Walker or Rose having to deal with anything of significance defensively.

I didn't enjoy watching that second half because Wales offered nothing in attack and invited Sturridge, Vardy, Rooney and co. to get at them which is bloody naive. Coleman said in his post-match interview how talented the England side are and how many forward options they have, yet we sat back with 11 men behind the ball like Northern Ireland did against Poland and paid the price (though harsh in the dying minutes).

England didn't even have to deal with Bale because he was positioned so deep, they must've had a good laugh about that after the game.
    Allen on a number of occasions took the easy option of passing backwards to defenders who were out of their depth. Particularly Taylor.

Poor performance from him.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Did Bale play ?
    Yes 2 goals now.

Quote Originally Posted by Elysium View Post
    I'm sure Robson-Kanu would have earned a contract somewhere after that very hardworking performance.
    I thought he did well and won quite a few battles.

Rambo was ****ing awesome - 12/10

while the game was very hard to watch, the 2nd half was really tough

i thought the team did well, we knew we were going to sit back and try to counter, we know we dont have a team full of world beaters either

Attack is the best form of defense !

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    We didn't play well and gave them far too much time on the ball. Why do that? We were inviting pressure
    Agreed. Despite the lateness of the winning goal, I'm not too disappointed about the outcome because we didn't deserve anything from the game. No complaints whatsoever with the team's spirit and fight, but we've got more quality than we showed today and I'm afraid there were some who looked a bit intimidated by the occasion.

Hennessy 6 - surprisingly little to do considering the flow of the game, no chance with either goal.

Gunter 5 - looked a Premier League player on Saturday and a Championship player today, limitations shown when compared to the England player in his position.
    Chester 7 - best of the central defenders.
    Williams 6 - did a lot of good things defensively, but looks more fallible lately than he did in the qualification campaign.
    Davies 6 - decent game overall, but didn't hit Saturday's heights.
    Taylor 5 - tough afternoon for someone who is one of our most consistent players.

Ledley 5 - it was asking an awful lot for him to come back in such a match and, sadly, he wasn't really a factor in the game.
    Allen 6 - did okay at times, but we needed more from him if we were to compete on something approaching equal terms with England.

Ramsey 7 - I mentioned some looked a bit intimidated by the occasion, he definitely wasn't one of them - my Welsh man of the match.
    Bale 6 - free kicks apart, a second quiet game for our main match winner. On Saturday I thought he struggled to impose himself, but this time he looked like he could have caused England plenty of problems if we had been better at getting him on the ball in the right areas.

Robson-Kanu 6 - a bit like Bale, his relatively low mark was down to the failings of others rather than him doing much wrong, gave Cahill and Smalling some uneasy moments.
    Last edited by the other bob wilson; 16-06-16 at 18:09.

Would like to see Davies at left back instead of Taylor with Collins coming in at centre back for the Russia game. Taylor's final ball was woeful this afternoon and wasn't that great against Slovakia either, he just seems to swing his boot at it without even looking up.

Also, what does that Joe Ledley injury mean? Tournament over? I'd like to see Andy King come in for Edwards if that's the case and see this team against Russia:

Hennessey

Chester....Williams.... Collins

Gunter.......King.... Allen....... Davies

Bale

Ramsey........J Williams

Hard to leave Robson-Kanu out after his performances in the last couple of games but Jonny Williams will run rings around those 36 year olds in the Russian defence (if they don't kick him to pieces first). HRK to come on and tire them out in the last 25 mins.

Would like to see Davies at left back instead of Taylor with Collins coming in at centre back for the Russia game. Taylor's final ball was woeful this afternoon and wasn't that great against Slovakia either, he just seems to swing his boot at it without even looking up.

Also, what does that Joe Ledley injury mean? Tournament over? I'd like to see Andy King come in for Edwards if that's the case and see this team against Russia:

Hennessey

Bale

Ramsey........J Williams

Hard to leave Robson-Kanu out after his performances in the last couple of games but Jonny Williams will run rings around those 36 year olds in the Russian defence (if they don't kick him to pieces first). HRK to come on and tire them out in the last 25 mins.
    Yep good call that. Both Russia's goals have come from headers. Collins is superb in the air. I doubt Coleman will though.

Yep good call that. Both Russia's goals have come from headers. Collins is superb in the air. I doubt Coleman will though.
    Dzyuba is their only threat up top at 6ft5/6 and Ginge will love that battle.

Chester and Williams both under 6ft I believe.

Their last headed goal came from a fella 3ft 6ins

Hennessey

Bale

Ramsey........J Williams

I'd even be tempted to push Bale behind King and Allen so he can receive the ball directly from the defence/goalie and have a run at the opposition.

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Cærdiffi View Post
    I'd even be tempted to push Bale behind King and Allen so he can receive the ball directly from the defence/goalie and have a run at the opposition.

Or put him in goal so that every time the opposition shoot he automatically has possession.

Blue in the Face

Hennessey - 6
    Gunter - 6
    Chester - 8
    Williams - 6
    Davies - 7
    Taylor - 6
    Allen - 6
    Ledley - 7
    Ramsey - 8
    Bale - 6
    Robson-Kanu - 7

J Williams - 6
    Edwards - 6

Quote Originally Posted by Blue in the Face View Post
    Hennessey - 6
    Gunter - 6
    Chester - 8
    Williams - 6
    Davies - 7
    Taylor - 6
    Allen - 6
    Ledley - 7
    Ramsey - 8
    Bale - 6
    Robson-Kanu - 7

J Williams - 6
    Edwards - 6
    Hennessey - 6
    Gunter - 5.5
    Chester - 8
    Williams - 6
    Davies - 6
    Taylor - 4
    Allen - 6.5
    Ledley - 6
    Ramsey - 8
    Bale - 6.5
    Robson-Kanu - 6.5

J Williams - 5
    Edwards - 4

I'm not going to go into player ratings as the image that will live on is our reaction at the end (the huddle, the applause to the fans, the twitter posts - you have to have a look at Gunter's - about it being disappointing but not going into Russia positively) rather than the sorts that helped form player ratings in other games.

Together Stronger.

Blue in the Face

Good point Surge. I felt churlish to post ratings for this game. It's such an emotional event it's hard to judge clearly anyway.

That said, I still think we'll win the tournament.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    I'm not going to go into player ratings as the image that will live on is our reaction at the end (the huddle, the applause to the fans, the twitter posts - you have to have a look at Gunter's - about it being disappointing but going into Russia positively) rather than the sorts that helped form player ratings in other games.

Together Stronger.
    An obvious correction needed.