+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: vauxhall zafaria cutting out ECU faulty?

vauxhall zafaria cutting out ECU faulty?

Hello all,

My vauxhall zafaria cut out the other day on the way to work. AA came and diagnosed the fault as the fuel pump was not kicking in. He eventually traced the fault back to the fact that the fuel pump relay pin 86 had no earth connection. He mentioned that when the ECU management system overheats it cuts out, and it does this it removes the return path for the current so cutting off the fuel pump and hence cutting out the engine. He gave me a temporay - ve so that the vehicle would not cut out. Also it could have been down to my own fault for not checking the oil level as that was quite low and this would cause the engine to get hotter than normal if it was low (I assume working on my limited knowledge)

My question is how difficult is it to replace the ECU unit I know it has to be reprogrammed etc just wondered if it is easily located and it is a case of unscrewing the block and then rescrewing a new one in its place. I have looked for wiring diagrams and also a guide on how to replace it but not much success.
    Anybody know how easy this is to do as when I have spoken to people they all seem to just say it is going to be expenisive.

Re: vauxhall zafaria cutting out ECU faulty?

Quote Originally Posted by city1927 View Post
    Hello all,

My vauxhall zafaria cut out the other day on the way to work. AA came and diagnosed the fault as the fuel pump was not kicking in. He eventually traced the fault back to the fact that the fuel pump relay pin 86 had no earth connection. He mentioned that when the ECU management system overheats it cuts out, and it does this it removes the return path for the current so cutting off the fuel pump and hence cutting out the engine. He gave me a temporay - ve so that the vehicle would not cut out. Also it could have been down to my own fault for not checking the oil level as that was quite low and this would cause the engine to get hotter than normal if it was low (I assume working on my limited knowledge)

My question is how difficult is it to replace the ECU unit I know it has to be reprogrammed etc just wondered if it is easily located and it is a case of unscrewing the block and then rescrewing a new one in its place. I have looked for wiring diagrams and also a guide on how to replace it but not much success.
    Anybody know how easy this is to do as when I have spoken to people they all seem to just say it is going to be expenisive.
    It is going to be expenisive

Not as expensive as you think. There are companies where you send away your ecu to be tested and can get a new one reasonably cheaply - less than £100 for some models but in all honesty this is not a diy job.

Thanks Vindec

As you have pointed out it is not as expensive to replace it is just the other part I was looking at how difficult it was to replace it myself as I can source the part relatively easily it is just replacing it. So will hunt around now to see about that.
    Thanks for confirming that it is not a DIY Job I was hoping it was but oh well.

This place in Barry is always advertising ECu remapping, so might be worth giving them a call.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Dragon View Post
    This place in Barry is always advertising ECu remapping, so might be worth giving them a call.
    Thanks Barry will give them a ring

Update they don't do it know but recommended A1 Diagnostic, rang them but don't do that model.
    Thanks again,
    Have been looking at where it is located as after ringing the garages they say it is a matter of 4 bolts, be nice to see its location etc. Can't find any decent pictures.

Thanks Vindec

As you have pointed out it is not as expensive to replace it is just the other part I was looking at how difficult it was to replace it myself as I can source the part relatively easily it is just replacing it. So will hunt around now to see about that.
    Thanks for confirming that it is not a DIY Job I was hoping it was but oh well.
    I had assumed the new ecu would need to be coded in but you need to check that. Otherwise it might be a diy job. What about the Scottish guy on this site who owns a garage?

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    I had assumed the new ecu would need to be coded in but you need to check that. Otherwise it might be a diy job. What about the Scottish guy on this site who owns a garage?
    of course Jimmy the Jock,

Your biggest concern should be when your car is going to catch fire.

Personally I'd get rid of it before it does.

Hello all,

The ECU went on my old Vectra ( lovely car )

I could be driving down the road and everything would die, which was a pain in the dark, no lights, no power steering, fook all

we had a quote of slightly over £ 2 k we part-ex'ed it agaisnt a new Golf, The golf took 2 months to arrive and the Vectra never cut out once in that time, always the way i guess