+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Shaping up for war in Europe

Shaping up for war in Europe

With the Russians getting friskier by the day, France under constant attack and on the verge of bringing in an extreme right government, Muslims in Europe facing the kind of dehumanising press the Jews received prior to WW2, Turkey and the middle east turning into shit soup, Britain leaving the union but renewing Trident... could we be on the brink of something nasty in the coming decade?

Re: Shaping up for war in Europe

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Cærdiffi View Post
    With the Russians getting friskier by the day, France under constant attack and on the verge of bringing in an extreme right government, Muslims in Europe facing the kind of dehumanising press the Jews received prior to WW2, Turkey and the middle east turning into shit soup, Britain leaving the union but renewing Trident... could we be on the brink of something nasty in the coming decade?
    Well it will liven up the news coverage , its so bland these days , so miss those old war newsreels .

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Well it will liven up the news coverage , its so bland these days , so miss those old war newsreels .
    Do you also miss the draft and rationing?

Blog Entries

France is descending into militarized state ruled by fear, it wont be long before we are heading down the same road, Tridant is a waste of space and money too, we are being destroyed from within by our infested government so it's not much use to us.

Balls of steel: Footage from Turkish Coup

Is that you Gluey?

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    Is that you Gluey?
    yes i was gleuy al along

I've just finished watching Band of Brothers so reckon I'd be pretty good at it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlue View Post
    I've just finished watching Band of Brothers so reckon I'd be pretty good at it.
    I wanted to be a dancer when I saw Dirty Dancing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Steve R View Post
    I wanted to be a dancer when I saw Dirty Dancing.
    Nobody sticks Mrs R in the corner........

(apparently that is a similar line from the film, so someone just told me......)

I carried a watermelon

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlue View Post
    Nobody sticks Mrs R in the corner........

(apparently that is a similar line from the film, so someone just told me......)

I carried a watermelon

It would explain why Boris was appointed foreign secretarty, to help get the war started a bit earlier.

I fear for my kids and their kids .
    I put the blame on the Thatcherites and the Blairites and if it kicks off while I am still alive I will do a pre emptive strike on those responsible.

Quote Originally Posted by Smoothoppa Razor View Post
    I fear for my kids and their kids .
    I put the blame on the Thatcherites and the Blairites and if it kicks off while I am still alive I will do a pre emptive strike on those responsible.
    don't be so over dromatic pal.

You forgot to mention Chinese expansion in the South China Sea.

People who know better than me about these things say that we came pretty close to a World War 3 during the Cuban missile crisis in the early sixties. I was too young to realise what was happening at the time and, anyway, I get the feeling that the ordinary man and woman in the street had little idea of how serious things became, but what we are living through now strikes me as the most dangerous period since the age where I was able to make some sort of educated judgment on matters like this - i.e. about 1970.

There was plenty to be concerned about during the EU referendum, but one of the worst aspects of it for me was that it led plenty of credence to my theory that we are suffering from a lack of credible political leaders in this country at the moment - actually, I don't think there are too many worldwide either. I don't see it as a party political matter, accomplished leaders and statesmen/women just don't seem to be there at a time when we most need them.

Lets not forget that within about four months we could have a complete fruit loop sitting in the White House.

I think war in Europe is a tad overdramatic, but it does concern me that the extrem right wing appear to be gaining more and more support across Europe, and the USA.

There's been conflict of some kind going on somewhere in the world at every minute of every day since "our" war ended in 1945.

About time we caught up?

Is that you Gluey?

IT is the doom predictions of Gluey. That lady wouldnt be happy until impending doom was at her door.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    People who know better than me about these things say that we came pretty close to a World War 3 during the Cuban missile crisis in the early sixties. I was too young to realise what was happening at the time and, anyway, I get the feeling that the ordinary man and woman in the street had little idea of how serious things became, but what we are living through now strikes me as the most dangerous period since the age where I was able to make some sort of educated judgment on matters like this - i.e. about 1970.

There was plenty to be concerned about during the EU referendum, but one of the worst aspects of it for me was that it led plenty of credence to my theory that we are suffering from a lack of credible political leaders in this country at the moment - actually, I don't think there are too many worldwide either. I don't see it as a party political matter, accomplished leaders and statesmen/women just don't seem to be there at a time when we most need them.
    I'm not so sure the Cuban missile crisis was quite so dramatic. It's been portrayed in Western media as a victory for freedom and Kennedy, but all that happened was in return for the missiles leaving Cuba, the USA agreed to remove missiles from Turkey. There was never any threat from either country and they were 'talking' to each other throughout..

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post

I can't remember who said it but I'm sure I remember a quote that once there is nobody left alive who remembers living through the last world war then we will find ourselves in the next one.

It certainly seems like our current trajectory is towards a less safe Europe

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    There's been conflict of some kind going on somewhere in the world at every minute of every day since "our" war ended in 1945.

About time we caught up?
    We've been at war for 100 years

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/n...rs-of-conflict

It would explain why Boris was appointed foreign secretarty, to help get the war started a bit earlier.
    Maybe it's the opposite of 1938, and we're just too ready for war at the moment.

Might as well use up those Trident nukes now, then we won't have to spend the money renewing them (there'll be no one left to bomb). Win win.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    You forgot to mention Chinese expansion in the South China Sea.
    The South China Sea is a huge flashpoint. The Philippines recently won their case in the Hague, but China have stated that they do not recognise the ruling. There are American military in the area, and the Philippines has just elected a new leader who may, very well, decide to side with China anyway - because the recent court case was brought forward by his predecessor.

The new Philippine president is an interesting character to say the least and I recommend that people read up on what has been happening there in the last 3 weeks, particularly their clamp-down on drug lords and drug dealers.

If anything is going to "kick off" it will be in the South China Sea, or the Middle East. The American elections are the key event of the next 6 months.