+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: GLAMMY

Re: GLAMMY

Glamorgan 48-2 at lunch with Joe Cooke and Ingram out for single figure scores - could go either way at the moment.

I agree with Chris that it looks a decent wicket today.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Glamorgan 48-2 at lunch with Joe Cooke and Ingram out for single figure scores - could go either way at the moment.

I agree with Chris that it looks a decent wicket today.
    That 1 boundary looks very short aswell. Would love to see this root and Lloyd partnership go big.

111/4. The game has evened up which is disappointing given Sussex were 98/6 last night

127/5. St this rate Sussex will have a first innings lead.

159/6. Disapppointing batting performance. We have a long tail too. Not having Labuschagne and Neser for this match doesn’t help.

Hopefully weighell gets established and him or cooke can keep on attacking with the tail

187/8. Very disappointing.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    187/8. Very disappointing.
    Say that again, 188 for 9.

Quote Originally Posted by Kind of Blue View Post
    Say that again, 188 for 9.
    Yep it’s a weak batting line up. Some loose shots played and Sussex will have a decent first innings lead.

Getting to 200 feels like a small victory now. At least that's one extra bonus point. It's a bloody shame we didn't get the last 4 Sussex wickets as cheaply as they've got ours.

I wish Salter would have a bit of a go, not much chance of having long left with Hogan as partner. May aswell have a crack from his end aswell

A poor effort today with too batsmen getting in and then giving it away - it's funny, there are some counties that aren't great now, but we always struggle against them, Sussex are one, Middlesex another.

what a dull shot from Hogan just now

Northants 8 down but threatening to pull off a miracle. C'mon !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by chrisp_1927 View Post
    Northants 8 down but threatening to pull off a miracle. C'mon !!!!
    Think I jinxed that one

Yep pretty certain we won’t finish top two now.

Yep pretty certain we won’t finish top two now.
    Needs a miracle now. Those 8 points we gave Northants would have made things slightly easier ! Maybe Darren Stevens can score a quick 100 and 10 wickets against lancs 😂

Needs a miracle now. Those 8 points we gave Northants would have made things slightly easier ! Maybe Darren Stevens can score a quick 100 and 10 wickets against lancs ��
    That declaration was painful. The pitch was dead. We have a decent chance of finishing third which would be a good effort in a very tough group.

That declaration was painful. The pitch was dead. We have a decent chance of finishing third which would be a good effort in a very tough group.
    Would be fantastic to be fair, our pace bowling attack especially have really stepped up and shown they are as good as any about . Would have been nice to have a real winner takes all game against Northants to finish up but overall very positive

I do hope they keep this structure for championship next year with seeding based on finishes. It’s got more going for it than the two division split IMO.

I’m a little uncertain about the next phase of it outside the top group that then plays for the final at Lords. What they could do is have it so those three groups have promotion / relegation with those finishing bottom of each group going down in the seedlings and those winning the other two groups going up in the seeding for next season.

I do hope they keep this structure for championship next year with seeding based on finishes. It’s got more going for it than the two division split IMO.

I’m a little uncertain about the next phase of it outside the top group that then plays for the final at Lords. What they could do is have it so those three groups have promotion / relegation with those finishing bottom of each group going down in the seedlings and those winning the other two groups going up in the seeding for next season.
    Can't quite make my mind up. Its great that every club has a chance of the final at the start of the season. But there will be a lot of meaningless games from now on as you point out. Even within the top group after a game or two. Clubs are taking through the points they gained against the other team that qualified from their group. If a team don't take many points in with them and then lose the first game they could be looking at nothing to play for.

I wonder if it may work a little bit better with the top group of 6 who play each other twice as at present. Then a bottom group of 12 who only play each other once. Could then have a shield game maybe for the top 2 in the lower group

Can't quite make my mind up. Its great that every club has a chance of the final at the start of the season. But there will be a lot of meaningless games from now on as you point out. Even within the top group after a game or two. Clubs are taking through the points they gained against the other team that qualified from their group. If a team don't take many points in with them and then lose the first game they could be looking at nothing to play for.

I wonder if it may work a little bit better with the top group of 6 who play each other twice as at present. Then a bottom group of 12 who only play each other once. Could then have a shield game maybe for the top 2 in the lower group
    That’s a decent shout. Didn’t realise the points were carried through, definitely in favour of there being a clean slate in the second phase.

I’m not as worried about dead rubbers so much as it’s hard to argue there weren’t plenty of dead rubbers in the original format and then the two division format. I do think this format gives the opportunity for a bit more overall excitement all round, at least for half a season.

I think if you added some jeopardy into the second stage with a form of promotion / relegation (similar to the Nations League in a way) that translates into getting a better seeding (or avoiding a worse one) for the next season at least gives you something to play for in the second phase of the season with minimal changes required to the structure. Maybe division 2/3 trophies or something as well so it feels like some honours are involved.

Looking like this game is headed for a handshake at 5 at the moment. Although given how we’re batting…

Surrey, trying to save their game, currently 40-4 off forty eight overs with Amla 7 not out after nearly three hours at the crease, while Gloucestershire are batting on despite being over 400 in front of a Middlesex side they bowled out for 101 in the first innings - giving eight points for a draw will encourage that type of cricket.

As for us, Sussex seem to be batting for a declaration, so there could be some life in the game yet.

I see Labuschagne scored 276 yesterday - the highest ever score by a Glamorgan player in a second eleven game.

That’s a decent shout. Didn’t realise the points were carried through, definitely in favour of there being a clean slate in the second phase.

I’m not as worried about dead rubbers so much as it’s hard to argue there weren’t plenty of dead rubbers in the original format and then the two division format. I do think this format gives the opportunity for a bit more overall excitement all round, at least for half a season.

I think if you added some jeopardy into the second stage with a form of promotion / relegation (similar to the Nations League in a way) that translates into getting a better seeding (or avoiding a worse one) for the next season at least gives you something to play for in the second phase of the season with minimal changes required to the structure. Maybe division 2/3 trophies or something as well so it feels like some honours are involved.

Looking like this game is headed for a handshake at 5 at the moment. Although given how we’re batting…
    Agree, a zeroing of points or even halving as a compromise would give everyone a fairer crack in round 2. And a bit of added jeopardy should hopefully encourage everyone to stay as competitive as possible

275 target then. Great way to make your 100 and bring about the declaration.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Surrey, trying to save their game, currently 40-4 off forty eight overs with Amla 7 not out after nearly three hours at the crease, while Gloucestershire are batting on despite being over 400 in front of a Middlesex side they bowled out for 101 in the first innings - giving eight points for a draw will encourage that type of cricket.

As for us, Sussex seem to be batting for a declaration, so there could be some life in the game yet.

I see Labuschagne scored 276 yesterday - the highest ever score by a Glamorgan player in a second eleven game.
    At Amlas age and with what he has done in his career that is tremendous. To still have that desire to dig in and save a game. That was always what set him and devilliers apart from the rest of the modern batsman for me. Average wise they were as good as anyone, they can be as destructive and pleasing on the eye as anyone. They also both have an amazing capacity to dig in and switch the shots off when the game situation demands that approach, an increasingly rare ability in the modern game.