+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: GLAMMY

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: GLAMMY

I’ve been checking through my old Wisdens and it was Northants (who we also beat by an innings in 2019) at home in 2015. There was a great stat someone contacted the commentators about today - James Harris has played in the last three Glamorgan victories in two days spread over a period of thirteen years.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I’ve been checking through my old Wisdens and it was Northants (who we also beat by an innings in 2019) at home in 2015. There was a great stat someone contacted the commentators about today - James Harris has played in the last three Glamorgan victories in two days spread over a period of thirteen years.
    Yeah that’s a great stat. Good to see him chipping in at the end. I presume that’s his two week loan over.
    Shame Joe Cooke couldn’t get a run in the second innings. Pleasing to see some home grown players doing so well this season especially Lloyd and Carlson.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    Yeah that’s a great stat. Good to see him chipping in at the end. I presume that’s his two week loan over.
    Shame Joe Cooke couldn’t get a run in the second innings. Pleasing to see some home grown players doing so well this season especially Lloyd and Carlson.
    I think it was Nick Webb who mentioned that Harris' loan was for an "initial two weeks" during the commentary, so maybe there's a something in place for Glamorgan to extend it if they want to. However, with Douthwaite to come back and Neser to come in, do we need to do that if the latter turns out to be as good as his record of recently being selected in Australian test squads suggests he is? I've always thought Harris' tendency to be expensive was down to him being a pitch it up and tempt the drive type bowler, but, based on what I've seen of his bowling in the past two games, he seems to have gone back quite a lot - a lot of it was on the short side and on both sides of the wicket. If we were to keep Harris longer, I'd be looking to use him a bit higher up the batting order because I've always thought he had the technique to play as a batting all rounder - he's an orthodox batsman who I feel could have made a decent opener in another life, but it's probably too late to think of him doing that now.

Joe Cooke scored what looks like a very good hundred for the seconds (who have won their first two matches at Somerset and Lancashire) in their last match - the pitch was clearly doing a lot because Lancashire were bowled out for 64 in their second innings and so Cooke's innings was instrumental in setting up another ten wicket win. Clearly, Maynard and co were impressed, because they chose to drop Selman after he finally scored a few runs and, having done so, I think they have to give Cooke a few games to establish himself - at least his not out nought yesterday meant he didn't bag a pair.

Talking of pairs, I'm sure David Lloyd got two ducks on his debut for us against Yorkshire and then followed it up with another one in his next innings against Kent, so it was somehow appropriate that he should have the best game of his career in four day cricket so far against Kent. I agree with the earlier comment about his bowling being improved this season and, so far at least, he's making a better job of opening in the longer game than I thought he would (I thought he'd be too ,loose) - at the moment, he looks like a very good county all rounder who might just possibly become a contender for higher honours.

That's always assuming that the England selectors know how to find their way to Cardiff because there's no evidence that they do based on recent years - although, to be fair, there's been no reason why they would need to for a good few seasons! However, if they stick to the criteria of looking for young batsmen making an impression in the county game as their policy for A tours, then Kiran Carlson's name surely will have come up in conversations this season - although he seems to have been around a good few years, he's still only twenty two.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I think it was Nick Webb who mentioned that Harris' loan was for an "initial two weeks" during the commentary, so maybe there's a something in place for Glamorgan to extend it if they want to. However, with Douthwaite to come back and Neser to come in, do we need to do that if the latter turns out to be as good as his record of recently being selected in Australian test squads suggests he is? I've always thought Harris' tendency to be expensive was down to him being a pitch it up and tempt the drive type bowler, but, based on what I've seen of his bowling in the past two games, he seems to have gone back quite a lot - a lot of it was on the short side and on both sides of the wicket. If we were to keep Harris longer, I'd be looking to use him a bit higher up the batting order because I've always thought he had the technique to play as a batting all rounder - he's an orthodox batsman who I feel could have made a decent opener in another life, but it's probably too late to think of him doing that now.

Joe Cooke scored what looks like a very good hundred for the seconds (who have won their first two matches at Somerset and Lancashire) in their last match - the pitch was clearly doing a lot because Lancashire were bowled out for 64 in their second innings and so Cooke's innings was instrumental in setting up another ten wicket win. Clearly, Maynard and co were impressed, because they chose to drop Selman after he finally scored a few runs and, having done so, I think they have to give Cooke a few games to establish himself - at least his not out nought yesterday meant he didn't bag a pair.

Talking of pairs, I'm sure David Lloyd got two ducks on his debut for us against Yorkshire and then followed it up with another one in his next innings against Kent, so it was somehow appropriate that he should have the best game of his career in four day cricket so far against Kent. I agree with the earlier comment about his bowling being improved this season and, so far at least, he's making a better job of opening in the longer game than I thought he would (I thought he'd be too ,loose) - at the moment, he looks like a very good county all rounder who might just possibly become a contender for higher honours.

That's always assuming that the England selectors know how to find their way to Cardiff because there's no evidence that they do based on recent years - although, to be fair, there's been no reason why they would need to for a good few seasons! However, if they stick to the criteria of looking for young batsmen making an impression in the county game as their policy for A tours, then Kiran Carlson's name surely will have come up in conversations this season - although he seems to have been around a good few years, he's still only twenty two.
    Yep don’t see a need for Harris to stay with Neser ready and Douthwaite likely to be fit to return. Douthwaite has chipped in well this season. Plus Hogan will have had a bit longer to rest before Lancs and has to play based upon his excellent form.
    Harris’s bowling has been a bit disappointing although he wasn’t helped with such a docile pitch last week.He has often scored runs lower down the order. I see him as a 7 but no higher than that.

Lloyd is doing very well. He does play his shots but it’s just as well because Selman doesn’t. Cooke will surely start v Lancs as one failure isn’t a sensible judgement of his ability. Also promising signs with the seconds doing so well.

I do think Carlson may have been affected by his college studies because he is flying now.His form was awful last season but if he carries on like this the selectors will need to take a look at him. High time a Glammy player represented England. It’s been too long.