+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heineken to reopen 60 pubs in UK

Heineken to reopen 60 pubs in UK

Brewing giant Heineken says it is investing £39m in hundreds of its UK pubs and reopening 62 that were closed in recent years.
    The company says the cash injection in its Star Pubs chain will create more than 1,000 new jobs.
    The move will see Star make renovations at more than 600 hundred pubs, around a quarter of the 2,400-strong chain.
    The Netherlands-based firm says the locations that will see improvements reflect how many of its customers have cut back on how often they commute into city centres.
    The work will "concentrate on transforming tired pubs in suburban areas into premium locals", Heineken said.
    The investment will include "subtle zoning" work aimed at allowing customers to enjoy different activities like watching sports and dining.
    Lawson Mountstevens, Star Pubs' managing director, said: "People are looking for maximum value from visits to their local.
    "They want great surroundings and food and drink as well as activities that give them an extra reason to go out."
    This and other similar plans unveiled by Heineken since 2019 represent £200 million in investments.
    According to figures from the British Beer and Pub Association, the number of pubs across the UK has been steadily declining, with some 500 pubs closing in 2023.

Re: Heineken to reopen 60 pubs in UK

Shame about their sjite lager.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Brewing giant Heineken says it is investing £39m in hundreds of its UK pubs and reopening 62 that were closed in recent years.
    The company says the cash injection in its Star Pubs chain will create more than 1,000 new jobs.
    The move will see Star make renovations at more than 600 hundred pubs, around a quarter of the 2,400-strong chain.
    The Netherlands-based firm says the locations that will see improvements reflect how many of its customers have cut back on how often they commute into city centres.
    The work will "concentrate on transforming tired pubs in suburban areas into premium locals", Heineken said.
    The investment will include "subtle zoning" work aimed at allowing customers to enjoy different activities like watching sports and dining.
    Lawson Mountstevens, Star Pubs' managing director, said: "People are looking for maximum value from visits to their local.
    "They want great surroundings and food and drink as well as activities that give them an extra reason to go out."
    This and other similar plans unveiled by Heineken since 2019 represent £200 million in investments.
    According to figures from the British Beer and Pub Association, the number of pubs across the UK has been steadily declining, with some 500 pubs closing in 2023.
    Probably a bit of gentrification going on, which I don't like, but has to be good news reopening currently closed pubs 👍

Does anyone know what’s happening with The Westgate? It was supposed to be reopening in the new year.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Flange View Post
    Does anyone know what’s happening with The Westgate? It was supposed to be reopening in the new year.
    The Westgate got a couple of social media pages, think the Twatter one has loads of City related reposrs. I read on one June this year.

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    Nothing wrong with Birra moretti, Amstel ,Fosters and Heineken Export and what’s not to like about Cruz-Campo

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    Nothing wrong with Birra moretti, Amstel ,Fosters and Heineken Export and what’s not to like about Cruz-Campo
    They’re all bog standard mass produced lagers which taste almost exactly the same. Each to their own of course but there is far better on the market.

Who's going to go to them?

They’re all bog standard mass produced lagers which taste almost exactly the same. Each to their own of course but there is far better on the market.
    Can’t knock job creation

name that tune.

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    Can’t knock job creation
    Absolutely. I’m really pleased to hear of pubs reopening, it’s great news.

Put £2 on a supermarket can and knock £2 off a pub bought pint. Drinking at home, alone isn’t a good thing for society as a whole. A cup of tea is the ‘at home’ drink and a few pints in a pub with mates is sociable and can much better for the mind and well being and should be encouraged……in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Put £2 on a supermarket can and knock £2 off a pub bought pint. Drinking at home, alone isn’t a good thing for society as a whole. A cup of tea is the ‘at home’ drink and a few pints in a pub with mates is sociable and can much better for the mind and well being and should be encouraged……in my opinion.
    Agree with this. Apply the same principle to ready meals and takeaway food.

I see that The Unicorn, a Star owned pub, has recently reopened after an extensive refurbishment.

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    Words starting with 'sj' tend to be Scandinavian rather than Dutch

Any news on where these 'new' pubs will be?

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    Any news on where these 'new' pubs will be?
    And who will be going there to keep them open. Most pubs in my area are dead midweek, they close early or entirely on some days.

The ones in town aren't much better and get by off a busy weekend but even they must be struggling, one of the clubs used to be open every Thursday, I'd see people outside there 4am Friday as I was driving home, It's only open Friday and Saturday now and looks dead on a Saturday night when I pass between 9-11 depending on where I'm working, same as spoons etc they are only busy now if theres a big sporting event like rugby internationals or football, and even some of the local pubs are half what they used to be 10 years ago.

Pubs are great. But they need people to go in them to keep them open, and employing staff etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Dembe View Post
    And who will be going there to keep them open. Most pubs in my area are dead midweek, they close early or entirely on some days.

The ones in town aren't much better and get by off a busy weekend but even they must be struggling, one of the clubs used to be open every Thursday, I'd see people outside there 4am Friday as I was driving home, It's only open Friday and Saturday now and looks dead on a Saturday night when I pass between 9-11 depending on where I'm working, same as spoons etc they are only busy now if theres a big sporting event like rugby internationals or football, and even some of the local pubs are half what they used to be 10 years ago.

Pubs are great. But they need people to go in them to keep them open, and employing staff etc.
    And this is exactly why pub drinking has to be made more financially attractive than cheaper ‘at home’ drinking.

And this is exactly why pub drinking has to be made more financially attractive than cheaper ‘at home’ drinking.
    as a senior I like to have a beer, sit down and to be able to have conversation.

our local pubs are very busy, overcrowded, insufficient seating and expensive beer. it's the whole package which makes inviting friends over more appealing.

I also don't enjoy rowdy yobs using bad language and people out for a ruck.

Quote Originally Posted by Taffy Blue in Berkshire View Post
    as a senior I like to have a beer, sit down and to be able to have conversation.

our local pubs are very busy, overcrowded, insufficient seating and expensive beer. it's the whole package which makes inviting friends over more appealing.

I also don't enjoy rowdy yobs using bad language and people out for a ruck.
    Are pubs that bad your way?

The breakdown of society, the working man or woman not even being able to afford to go out and have a few drinks anymore…..

How would you cut the costs in a pub? Take it off the barrel price? Even then theres still higher staff wages, the electric bill etc.

Do you think supermarkets are just going to roll over and accept their prices being forced up and the backlash they'd get from their customers? Some people don't like drinking in the pub and like a cheap drink at home, what about them?

I think pubs are great and we need them in the community, but I don't think its as simple as you make out.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    The breakdown of society, the working man or woman not even being able to afford to go out and have a few drinks anymore…..
    Wouldn't you say alcohol has broken society?

Are pubs that bad your way?
    there are a few decent real ale pubs in Reading like the Nags Head but the ones in our village are not appealing for the reasons I mentioned. not enough places for too many people.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Words starting with 'sj' tend to be Scandinavian rather than Dutch
    Fat fingers.
    Either that or I've too much real ale