+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: GLAMMY

Re: GLAMMY

214 runs behind now its hard but it is still day 2

Salter out cheaply again. This silly experiment of playing him as an opener needs to end. He should be coming in as a number eight.

I’m used to Glammy being poor but this performance is annoying me because this team should be a lot better than this. It’s looking like an innings defeat. Not good enough.

Looks like rain could affect a fair bit of tomorrows play. Still probably won't be enough for us unfortunately though. Ideally I suppose we'd need tomorrow to be rained off, followed by a 200 run partnership between neser and northeast. Dream territory basically

Disappointing after the last match

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    I’m used to Glammy being poor but this performance is annoying me because this team should be a lot better than this. It’s looking like an innings defeat. Not good enough.
    I agree, very disappointing stuff. You could make a case for saying that they were unlucky to lose an impirtant toss, but their batting in the second innings has knocked that on the head.

One other thing, when we next play Middlesex at home, can we take it to an out ground (why can’t we play at that lovely ground at Abergavenny again?), we seem to be beaten before a ball is bowled when we play them in Cardiff.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I agree, very disappointing stuff. You could make a case for saying that they were unlucky to lose an impirtant toss, but their batting in the second innings has knocked that on the head.

One other thing, when we next play Middlesex at home, can we take it to an out ground (why can’t we play at that lovely ground at Abergavenny again?), we seem to be beaten before a ball is bowled when we play them in Cardiff.

Yep our record is dreadful against them in Cardiff. Is there a cost implication playing games outside of Sophia Gardens? I presume Colwyn Bay will have it’s usual games. Beyond that Neath have a couple of Royal London games and that’s about it.

Yep our record is dreadful against them in Cardiff. Is there a cost implication playing games outside of Sophia Gardens? I presume Colwyn Bay will have it’s usual games. Beyond that Neath have a couple of Royal London games and that’s about it.
    Yes, I think it is down to cost. There’s no game at Newport then? I thought they’d have a one day game and we really should be playing some cricket at St Helen’s - it’s terrible the way that grounds been allowed to go to pot.

Yes, I think it is down to cost. There’s no game at Newport then? I thought they’d have a one day game and we really should be playing some cricket at St Helen’s - it’s terrible the way that grounds been allowed to go to pot.
    I checked the fixtures and I can’t see any in St Helens which is plain wrong. Not any in Newport either.

I can’t see any games being played at Colwyn Bay either. That’s not good.

Yes, a couple of games at Neath, the friendly with Wales at a venue to be confirmed and the rest at Cardiff - I wonder if there’ll be an effect on membership numbers as it hardly seems worth bothering unless you live in the M 4 corridor.

Just to change the subject slightly, but Jos Buttler hit another century in the IPL today. That's his 3rd of the season in 8 games. Hes also got 2 50's. There's only been 1 other ton this year.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Just to change the subject slightly, but Jos Buttler hit another century in the IPL today. That's his 3rd of the season in 8 games. Hes also got 2 50's. There's only been 1 other ton this year.
    Buttler should still be part of the ODI and T20 squads but not the Test team. Time to move on.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    He's such a great player to watch. Absolutely untouchable this ipl. Although I see that the utterly useless McCoy did his best to undo Buttlers hard work. Really enjoyable tournament so far !

I ws going to post last night that we had been unlucky with the toss as the pitch seemed to get easier later in the day.

Then today Middlesex make the most of the easier pitch and we don't!

When I was a lad I used to go to St Helens several times a season with my dad, in fact I preferred it to the old Sophia Gardens ground (I also liked the old Arms Park Ground)

I can understand why they play the majoritty of games in Cardiff but I agree that they should play some cricket at swansea and the odd day at some of the other grounds.

Buttler should still be part of the ODI and T20 squads but not the Test team. Time to move on.
    People who know more about these things than me say that Buttler is potentially a good captain and with so few batting places nailed down in the test team, I wonder if the selectors (if England have any at the moment!) are looking at him as a possible replacement for Root? I’m not too keen on Stokes taking over because I think all of his attention should go towards giving the team as much as he can with bat and ball.

With no spinner really putting their hand up to be selected, I’d also consider Liam Livingston as a Moeen Ali type all rounder at number eight - he can bowl decent leg and off spin in limited overs cricket and I would be encouraging him to work really hard on it to see if he can make the step up to test cricket.

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood Blues View Post
    When I was a lad I used to go to St Helens several times a season with my dad, in fact I preferred it to the old Sophia Gardens ground (I also liked the old Arms Park Ground)

I can understand why they play the majoritty of games in Cardiff but I agree that they should play some cricket at swansea and the odd day at some of the other grounds.
    Swansea was unique on the county cricket circuit, the Liberty Stadium, or whatever it’s called these days, has a lot to answer for!

abergavenny was a lovely ground i watched them play i think it was gloucester one year cant remember which two batsman caused carnage up there

People who know more about these things than me say that Buttler is potentially a good captain and with so few batting places nailed down in the test team, I wonder if the selectors (if England have any at the moment!) are looking at him as a possible replacement for Root? I’m not too keen on Stokes taking over because I think all of his attention should go towards giving the team as much as he can with bat and ball.

With no spinner really putting their hand up to be selected, I’d also consider Liam Livingston as a Moeen Ali type all rounder at number eight - he can bowl decent leg and off spin in limited overs cricket and I would be encouraging him to work really hard on it to see if he can make the step up to test cricket.

Fully agree on Stokes not being captain and looking to bring Livingston into the Test team. I really hope the selectors resist bringing back Buttler. I don’t think he has the right temperament for Test cricket and goodness knows he has had enough chances. It would also cause further issues about whether he keeps wicket or not.

I would go with James Vince as the next captain.

Quote Originally Posted by poc View Post
    abergavenny was a lovely ground i watched them play i think it was gloucester one year cant remember which two batsman caused carnage up there
    Yes, I saw them play against Gloucester and Northants at Abergavenny - I think Viv Richards scored a few against Gloucestershire on the day I was there.

Fully agree on Stokes not being captain and looking to bring Livingston into the Test team. I really hope the selectors resist bringing back Buttler. I don’t think he has the right temperament for Test cricket and goodness knows he has had enough chances. It would also cause further issues about whether he keeps wicket or not.

I would go with James Vince as the next captain.
    Ordinarily, I’d agree that Buttler has had enough chances and the same should also apply to James Vince, but the cupboard is so bare when it comes to test class batsmen at the moment that, apart from Root and Stokes, I don’t see anyone who you could rely on to consistently outscore Buttler, or Vince for that matter, over a period of, say, two years. As for wicket keeping, Buttler would have to give that op for me if he was to become captain.

Roll over Glamorgan.

Not good.

I’ve been abroad and not been able to keep an eye on this, save the notifications coming through, which has done me a favour I guess. What a turnaround from last week.

Following on from what TOBW has said re: playing Middlesex at Sophia Gardens. I can’t back this up with any stats but I’ve half thought for a while that we’ve tended to do better away from home generally and we don’t get much of a home advantage in Cardiff. But as I’ve said, that’s not based on any stats I’ve bothered to unearth and probably added to by the fact we’ve not been that great consistently at home - or away! - for a while generally.

I do have a soft spot for St Helen’s and it’s a shame the state it’s gotten into. On talk of out grounds, I picked up some Wisden book on county cricket grounds in a charity shop in east London a few years back. Great little Time Capsule of a book, pre Durham getting first class status I think. Glammy had quite a number in there, I’d have to check but one of the most out of any county, but also easily the most venues out of the historic county too compared to others. Outside of the ones mentioned here so far I think Ponty, Merthyr, Ebbw Vale, Aberystwyth and Llanelli, have all hosted games at some points.

Quote Originally Posted by poc View Post
    Abergavenny was (is) a great ground. They used to play all over didn't they. I've seen them play in Abergavenny, Newport, Ebbw Vale (I think), Pontypridd, Neath (the coldest I've ever been at a cricket match) as well as Cardiff. Not been to Swansea or Colwyn Bay.