+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: GLAMMY

Re: GLAMMY

Quote Originally Posted by Kind of Blue View Post
    I caught this as well and thought exactly the same TOBW. After a good start in the championship, that didn’t see us far off qualifying for the top division (mercifully, in this nick), the performances in this final quarter’s worth of games have been truly woeful. They are doing their best to take the shine off the one day cup victory and what was a very decent 4-day campaign till September!
    Essex have been the best four day side in the country in the years before this season and are still a very good team, Gloucestershire were unlucky not to make it through to the top group after leading their table for so long and I think Durham would have got promoted this season under the two Division system that was around pre pandemic, so we've played some sides that player for player are better than us in these three games.

However, back in the spring and early summer, we were unbeaten in four matches with Yorkshire and Lancashire (we beat the latter in one of them) and thrashed a Kent side that were doing well in Division One in 2019. More than that, we were competitive in all of the early matches played before Labuschagne and Neser arrived.

Therefore the players, who have Rutherford as an improvement on Balbernie now, have shown that they are a lot better than their form during September has suggested. I have tended to be more sympathetic than some in this thread about what's happened since the Final. but yesterday was hard to take - they are still being paid a decent wage to do something which few get the chance to do and they really do need to show a bit more in the season ender against Surrey.

Glamorgan 213-2 coming up to tea on the first day of their match at the Oval against Surrey - David LLoyd 91 not out.

Cue a spectacular collapse.

Relief to see some of the top order getting runs under the belt following the chastening last few games, although you really should expect it given the conditions (appreciating its Glamorgan we’re talking about…).

Took the day off and it’s been a very pleasant day in the sun with a couple beers at the Oval. Strangely enough I’ve a works thing here on Friday, so hope it goes the distance.

Quote Originally Posted by Undercoverinwurzelland View Post
    611-5 at tea!
    Will the declaration come if Cooke gets a double century.
    What happened at Chelmsford? Essex win by an innings and some after being dismissed for 170. 😱

672-6 declared, Glamorgan’s third highest score, with Cooke 205 not out.

Northants were bowled out for 81 and 45 in that match with Essex.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post

Brilliant innings. A double century, a century and a couple of 50s from our batsmen. A lot of very low scores around the country so this must a cracker of a wicket for batsmen. Let's see how our bowlers get on.

Good to see the batsmen in the runs. Looks like an odds in draw though.

Think Essex would easily be challenging for the title had they not had their blip right at the start of the season.

Got to the Oval in time to catch Cooke reaching 205, great achievement. Been a good couple of days for our beleaguered batsmen (or batters!). See how our spinners get on as the deck hasn’t been offering much for seam, which is a little bit of a shame as I wouldn’t have begrudged Rikki Clarke getting a wicket on his final game.

Think Essex would easily be challenging for the title had they not had their blip right at the start of the season.

Got to the Oval in time to catch Cooke reaching 205, great achievement. Been a good couple of days for our beleaguered batsmen (or batters!). See how our spinners get on as the deck hasn’t been offering much for seam, which is a little bit of a shame as I wouldn’t have begrudged Rikki Clarke getting a wicket on his final game.
    Looked like Cooke missed a stumping in the two overs Salter bowled, but it’s looking a very flat pitch and it’s hard to imagine Surrey losing twenty wickets in two days. Glamorgan may get to bat again and, maybe besides Clarke getting his wicket, Carlson can get the sixty odd he needs to complete a thousand runs for the season.

Surrey 185-1 - I'm jumping the gun a bit here and may end up looking stupid, but if counties can be docked points for preparing bowler friendly pitches, why can't the same apply to batting? We're getting towards the half way point of the third day and so far seven wickets have fallen.

TOBW: think Cooke did miss a stumping chance late doors yesterday but hard to be too hard on him given the length of his knock in what was essentially a full on summer day’s conditions.

Agreed re: pitch prep too. I’d personally take bowler friendly wickets as bar the PBs for some batters and enjoying the weather whilst being there this has been a bit of a non-contest.

Not gotten to catch much today but watching the last overs now and seems to have gone as predicted. Didn’t realise Byrom dabbled with any bowling till a wicket notification came through earlier!

TOBW: think Cooke did miss a stumping chance late doors yesterday but hard to be too hard on him given the length of his knock in what was essentially a full on summer day’s conditions.

Agreed re: pitch prep too. I’d personally take bowler friendly wickets as bar the PBs for some batters and enjoying the weather whilst being there this has been a bit of a non-contest.

Not gotten to catch much today but watching the last overs now and seems to have gone as predicted. Didn’t realise Byrom dabbled with any bowling till a wicket notification came through earlier!
    It was 336-2 last time I looked, so I don’t think Cooke’s missed stumping made much difference.

Agree entirely about bowler friendly conditions because it often results in a good, close game, whereas long form cricket would die as a spectator sport if it was always played on pitches like this one.

Amla dropped off a bit of a gimme at slip.

In a mirror opposite of this match Lancs beat Hants by one run at Liverpool. Think the championship is their’s now unless Warks beat Somerset.

Amla dropped off a bit of a gimme at slip.

In a mirror opposite of this match Lancs beat Hants by one run at Liverpool. Think the championship is their’s now unless Warks beat Somerset.
    Just been watching the finish of the Lancashire match, tremendous stuff.

SomerSet have had their fill of batting disasters lately, but a draw has to be favourite.

As a Surrey member this is some tedious cricket, but nowhere near as bad as a game in 2017 against Hampshire where Rory Burns spent all 4 days bar 20 minutes or so on the field

what the hell is about this wicket at the Oval? Pretty dire to watch and a total non event.

If I was Surrey now I’d declare. I say that thinking about this infamous game in the early nineties when we were scored 562-3 and then were bowled out for around a hundred in losing by ten wickets

http://static.espncricinfo.com/db/AR...05JUL1993.html

The way Glamorgan have been batting, there might be a bit of a panic if we were to lose a few early wickets.

I’m sure Surrey will just keep on batting though.

If I was Surrey now I’d declare. I say that thinking about this infamous game in the early nineties when we were scored 562-3 and then were bowled out for around a hundred in losing by ten wickets

The way Glamorgan have been batting, there might be a bit of a panic if we were to lose a few early wickets.

551/2 at lunch, you're probably right about Glammy hashing it up if they batted again.

Only declaration that would happen for us would be if we somehow had a lead of 150 or so before tea and having a wild stab at it.

Can't see anything other than handshakes

Carlson and Chris Cooke taking the new ball, Hogan keeping wicket in short sleeves

I love county cricket

Quote Originally Posted by Alex! View Post
    Carlson and Chris Cooke taking the new ball, Hogan keeping wicket in short sleeves

I love county cricket
    11 bowlers used by Glamorgan - you dont see that very often. If this was a 3 day game there would have been some debatable part time bowling and a contrived run chase. Those were the days.

4 full days play with (I think) no rain breaks and only 10 wickets! That's a very flat pitch.

The game turned out to be the equivalent of a team being bowled out for 1300 with four wickets falling on the “hard” first batting day and two each on the following days - Surrey should be giving any members who attended all four days a refund.

Does Ollie Pope’s knock make him any more likely to be in England’s team for the First Ashes test? It shouldn’t, because that wasn’t a worthwhile cricket match.