+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: GLAMMY

Re: GLAMMY

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    You've posted a link to a written article but with no comment and I wondered if you have you an opinion on any of it Bob?
    Not really, Glamorgan, like so many other counties, don’t seem to have had many black home produced players down the years - there haven’t been many at all following in the footsteps of someone like Tony Cordle have there.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Not really, Glamorgan, like so many other counties, don’t seem to have had many black home produced players down the years - there haven’t been many at all following in the footsteps of someone like Tony Cordle have there.
    No you are right, it doesnt look great and although we had some top cricketers of colour play for us down the years, home grown very few.

Mr Williams says..
    "In 2020, former Glamorgan cricketer Mohsin Arif said in a Telegraph article that there had been preferential treatment for white players at the county"
    The problem I have with this is that preferential treatment goes on all the time, whether in sport or any workplace.
    Why does it have to be linked to racism?

It is also mentioned in the article that the Cardiff midweek league contained many Asian players but none "made it" so to speak.
    I played a few games in that league myself and there were plenty of white talented cricketers who too were never "spotted".
    I would agree though that the vast percentage of cricketers in Cardiff's leagues are Asian.
    You see them playing in the streets and in Pontcanna fields all year round.

I would say that cricket was, and still is to a certain extent an elitist sport. It strikes me as a bit of a closed shop at the top level and if there were a bunch of talented youngsters on the shortlist, chances are the public school kid or the chairman's business partner's boy or the nephew of a former England player would get the nod.

To me, that's life.

It would be interesting to hear say Ravi Shastri's or Waqar Younis's view on their experience of possible racism during their time at the club or even Javed Miandad's.
    I'm sure if the latter was a victim of racism he'd have sorted it out himself

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    No you are right, it doesnt look great and although we had some top cricketers of colour play for us down the years, home grown very few.

Mr Williams says..
    "In 2020, former Glamorgan cricketer Mohsin Arif said in a Telegraph article that there had been preferential treatment for white players at the county"
    The problem I have with this is that preferential treatment goes on all the time, whether in sport or any workplace.
    Why does it have to be linked to racism?

It is also mentioned in the article that the Cardiff midweek league contained many Asian players but none "made it" so to speak.
    I played a few games in that league myself and there were plenty of white talented cricketers who too were never "spotted".
    I would agree though that the vast percentage of cricketers in Cardiff's leagues are Asian.
    You see them playing in the streets and in Pontcanna fields all year round.

I would say that cricket was, and still is to a certain extent an elitist sport. It strikes me as a bit of a closed shop at the top level and if there were a bunch of talented youngsters on the shortlist, chances are the public school kid or the chairman's business partner's boy or the nephew of a former England player would get the nod.

To me, that's life.

It would be interesting to hear say Ravi Shastri's or Waqar Younis's view on their experience of possible racism during their time at the club or even Javed Miandad's.
    I'm sure if the latter was a victim of racism he'd have sorted it out himself
    I played a few games in the midweek league as well in the seventies. They were ahead of their time in that they were twenty over games, so you had to get on with it when it came to batting. I kidded myself I was a decent player of spin bowling when I was a kid, but that opinion changed when we played a team of Asian youngsters at Blackweir one evening. I came in at about number seven with us having early wickets , but our best batsman was still there and I stayed with him as we put on about fifty.

However, my contribution to the partnership was very small as i ended up facing two or three overs from someone who seemed to me to be about fifteen. He may have been young, but he was the first "proper" spin bowler I'd ever faced (all the others has just been slow bowlers) - he was quicker through the air than many of the so called quick bowlers I'd faced up to then, landed the ball on a sixpence and was actually turning it consistently, I'd never faced anything like it in my life before or since. From memory, I played out a couple of maidens and was quite pleased to have kept him out, any attacking shot was beyond me though as I proved when I finally lost patience and played a daft cut shot that got me out.

I've long forgotten the young boy's name now, but I sought it out after the game because I thought I'd be hearing it again as he made his way into first class cricket, but it never happened - the Asian lads murdered us and had a couple of talented batsmen as well, but they never went any further. Maybe, they didn't want to or they figured it wasn't worth trying because, back then, any players of Asian or Caribbean heritage in the first class game tended to be from overseas.

The team I played for had some good players, but three or four of that Asian side we played were another level up again. I'm sure that's a story which can be repeated all over the country down the years and yet barely any England qualified players with an Asian background emerged until we saw the likes of Owais Shah, Adil Rashid and Moeen Ali coming through, so you have to think that racism, whether intentional or not, played some part in that.

About five years ago, maybe a bit longer, Hugh Morris was asked to name one youngster they had coming through at Glamorgan who would make it in the first class game - he chose an Asian leg spinner who he said had tremendous ability. From memory, he was fourteen at the time and so I kept an eye open for a mention of this boy playing in our second team. I never saw anything though and mentioned what Hugh Morris had said to a mate of mine who watches a lot of second team cricket. At first, he thought I must have got it wrong, but then he remembered a youngster who he'd seen in a game some years earlier who quite impressed him, but he never saw him play again. Was he really as good as Hugh Morris thought he was I wonder, but, whether he was or not, I think cricket is still a game where the British non white player has a harder job to break through than a white one.

WNC Membership 2022.jpg

Over the years during cricket chats, it often comes up why don't we support Wales in cricket, for £20 for the year you can do just that.

For anyone wanting to watch some pre season Glamorgan cricket, there’s some very basic coverage of their warm up match at Gloucestershire here;-

https://glamorgancricket.com/news/gl...eam-and-report

There’s no commentary and I can’t read the scoreboard on my tablet, so I’ve no idea how Gloucestershire are doing, but I do know Glamorgan scored 329-6 yesterday. This follows on from a win over Somerset in their first friendly which owed much to a very generous declaration.

One other thing, I can’t be sure because of not great stream, but it looks like the Glamorgan wicketkeeper and slips are wearing bobble hats .

For anyone wanting to watch some pre season Glamorgan cricket, there’s some very basic coverage of their warm up match at Gloucestershire here;-

https://glamorgancricket.com/news/gl...eam-and-report

There’s no commentary and I can’t read the scoreboard on my tablet, so I’ve no idea how Gloucestershire are doing, but I do know Glamorgan scored 329-6 yesterday. This follows on from a win over Somerset in their first friendly which owed much to a very generous declaration.

One other thing, I can’t be sure because of not great stream, but it looks like the Glamorgan wicketkeeper and slips are wearing bobble hats .
    I can see the scorecard well on my laptop.Glouester are 50 for 0 at the moment Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood Blues View Post
    I can see the scorecard well on my laptop.Glouester are 50 for 0 at the moment Bob
    Thanks Elwood, I could make out they hadn’t lost any wickets, but didn’t have a clue how many they’d scored - there was very little sign of a possible wicket for Glamorgan in the twenty minutes or so I watched.

A big unbeaten hundred for Kieran Carlson in Glamorgan’s final pre season game, there’s a live stream of the match on

https://glamorgancricket.com/glamorg...22/live-stream

A big unbeaten hundred for Kieran Carlson in Glamorgan’s final pre season game, there’s a live stream of the match on

https://glamorgancricket.com/glamorg...22/live-stream
    I walked past the ground after the game yesterday and could see Carlson 119 not out at the time. Very encouraging.

season starts tomorrow weather permitting ,home to durham

Quote Originally Posted by poc View Post
    season starts tomorrow weather permitting ,home to durham
    The season preview I read in the Guardian yesterday had Glamorgan finishing third behind Notts and Durham - the batting does look stronger on paper, but I’d like to have seen us bring in a spinner.

yes true would have helped ,maybe relying on labucshange a lot more weather dont look good at all this week

Quote Originally Posted by poc View Post
    yes true would have helped ,maybe relying on labucshange a lot more weather dont look good at all this week
    Looks like Salter is going to open the batting. Neser’s over here, but he’s recovering from an injury.

https://glamorgancricket.com/glamorg...070422/preview

Looks like Salter is going to open the batting. Neser’s over here, but he’s recovering from an injury.

We have done well in securing Aussie players in recent times it appears , anybody know why ?

Really not convinced by Salter opening

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    We have done well in securing Aussie players in recent times it appears , anybody know why ?
    I may be wrong, but I think Hogan came here because we recruited the Australian coach Matthew Mott and I read somewhere that he’s played a part in the recruitment of some Australian players since he left us.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    Really not convinced by Salter opening
    I’ve often thought Salter had the potential to bat higher in the order, but I agree with you, opening seems to be too big a jump - especially in the modern game in this country where they are often just cannon fodder against the Dukes ball on juicy pitches. I assume Byrom is injured because I’ve not seen his name mentioned in the pre season games, but I’m a bit surprised Cooke isn’t opening - his average is poor, but he’s been able to occupy the crease for a long time so that conditions are sometimes easier for the later batsmen.

Good luck to Matthew Maynard and the Glamorgan team as they start the new season against Durham today.
    Live stream via the Glamorgan website match zone.

I think Salter will do ok, should have been moved into our top 4 years ago. He's been the best crease occupier we've had over the last 7/10 years. Quite excited to see him play a big part as his bowling seemed to take a bit of a jump forward last year aswell.

Might just be the usual pre season optimism. But with the new additions I really think promotion is on the cards this year. Byrom and Northeast are very canny pickups. Harris is a stupid signing in my opinion, but it may just work if he can rediscover his form. At the very least, he is always effective in the first few games of the season

Looks like both aussies will be available for large chunks aswell and carlson looks like he's brought last years form into pre season. Got some real match winners.

I couldn't quite work out what they meant by their Neser quote. It seemed a bit like they were saying he's in the squad but not recovered enough to play yet, in which case I can't understand why they'd name him in the squad. Hopefully he will pass the fitness test and be involved today.

Well, an interesting start to my cricket watching season, Lloyd hits the first two balls I see for four off Rushworth of all people and then Salter is bowled by Potts with a beauty off the fourth one, Glamorgan have been put in and there’s no Neser in their team.

Well, an interesting start to my cricket watching season, Lloyd hits the first two balls I see for four off Rushworth of all people and then Salter is bowled by Potts with a beauty off the fourth one, Glamorgan have been put in and there’s no Neser in their team.
    i did read a report saying he was struggling with a side strain, you were correct about salter hopefully northeast settles quick coiuld be bonus with him joining

Lloyd is looking fantastic. This will probably jinx him, but he's played some cracking shots.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisp_1927 View Post
    Lloyd is looking fantastic. This will probably jinx him, but he's played some cracking shots.
    Looks like I did. 76 ball 50 for Ingram, I won't comment on how well he's played !!

Couple of wickets just before lunch for Durham ruins what had been a good session for Glamorgan, 108-4.