+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: GLAMMY

Re: GLAMMY

Quote Originally Posted by chrisp_1927 View Post
    At Lords for the middlesex game. Looks like they should destroy Sussex very easily. Big game for us against Sussex tomorrow
    I don’t think our run rate helps. Three wins is very unlikely to be enough.

I've used the word "pathetic/" to describe Glamorgan cricket plenty of times down the years, but last night is the first time I've considered using it this season - one man has carried our batting in T20 this season and, one match apart, the decision to favour Ingram over Neser, which looked dubious at the time, has been a total flop.

My concern is that our campaign in the four day game, which I would call a success up to now, faces the prospect of being derailed because so many of our batsman have played themselves out of form in the twenty over games - I reckon us finishing third or fourth in a group featuring four First Division teams would be a really good outcome, but I presume Labuschagne and Neser won't be available for the Sussex match on Sunday?

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I've used the word "pathetic/" to describe Glamorgan cricket plenty of times down the years, but last night is the first time I've considered using it this season - one man has carried our batting in T20 this season and, one match apart, the decision to favour Ingram over Neser, which looked dubious at the time, has been a total flop.

My concern is that our campaign in the four day game, which I would call a success up to now, faces the prospect of being derailed because so many of our batsman have played themselves out of form in the twenty over games - I reckon us finishing third or fourth in a group featuring four First Division teams would be a really good outcome, but I presume Labuschagne and Neser won't be available for the Sussex match on Sunday?
    The glam website has been suggesting they will be back on Sunday. Sussex will still be without their covid affected players though

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    I don’t think our run rate helps. Three wins is very unlikely to be enough.
    It does make it very tough to be fair. I think someone will qualify from the group with 14 points, but that caning does make it unlikely to be us.

Another hammering tonight. Glad it’s back to Championship cricket because this has been yet another feeble T20 campaign

First Team

Like Chris I was at Lord’s last night and Sussex were very poor against what is a terrible Middlesex side.

Admittedly they were missing a few regular players due to a Covid outbreak but frankly they were pathetic.

If Glammy are struggling against these two then that is a quite unimpressive achievement.

Struggling to think of options outside of some dramatic and extensive recruitment on both the playing and coaching staff.

Quote Originally Posted by Majorblue View Post
    Like Chris I was at Lord’s last night and Sussex were very poor against what is a terrible Middlesex side.

Admittedly they were missing a few regular players due to a Covid outbreak but frankly they were pathetic.

If Glammy are struggling against these two then that is a quite unimpressive achievement.

Struggling to think of options outside of some dramatic and extensive recruitment on both the playing and coaching staff.
    In fairness Salt and Wright are terrific in T20. Not many better opening partnerships in this form of the game.

Another disapointing game. Obviously losing Selman and Marnus has hurt us. But we weren't exactly setting the world alight when they were playing.

I think we've been poorly coached.

I understand why Douthwaite started the season so low down the batting order as he wasn't in great touch. When he hit form he should have been moved up into the top 4.

Ingram has quite obviously been bang out of form, really begs the question why he was continually picked over Neser. Combined with the fact that our pace bowling has been a bit underpowered when Smith isn't in the side. Even if Ingram had been playing well, Neser arguably still would have been the better option.

Can't understand Carlson opening. A good coach would have told him to stop trying to swing from the hip every ball and build some innings. Maynard has just encouraged him to carry on in that vein by sticking him up top. Carlson is one of the few players we have with the ability to rotate strike and accelerate at the end. He needs to be in the engine room not pissing about trying to play cameos. Douthwaite did well at the top of the order when given the chance last year, he'd be a much better shout as an opener than Carlson going forward.

In 2019 we had a great start to the season, then it all fell apart from the last 4 day game before the t20s onwards. Really hope we can regroup this year and not repeat that.

If we can turn over Sussex in the championship next week, I think I can quite happily forget this whole sorry t20 campaign ever existed.

The thing is Neser can bat as well. Not good enough from Maynard to continually play Ingram who wasn’t good enough to be brought back this season. It was a very poor mistake.

The thing is Neser can bat as well. Not good enough from Maynard to continually play Ingram who wasn’t good enough to be brought back this season. It was a very poor mistake.
    Very true, he's a definite all rounder. He bowled so well in his championship appearances for us I'm positive he'd have had a good t20 campaign. 4 good pace overs a game, and power from 7 or 8 would have been so valuable.

Very true, he's a definite all rounder. He bowled so well in his championship appearances for us I'm positive he'd have had a good t20 campaign. 4 good pace overs a game, and power from 7 or 8 would have been so valuable.
    It would have made a big difference.

everyone raves about Matt Maynard but why? the whole setup is failing to deliver.

Quote Originally Posted by Taffy Blue in Berkshire View Post
    everyone raves about Matt Maynard but why? the whole setup is failing to deliver.
    I think he is the main problem personally. We’ve got some decent players and one absolutely world class player in Marnus. Our cluelessness has really stood out in the t20s. Bowling a left arm spinner first over to 2 left handed openers in one game being the most ridiculous example. Most t20 sides get the little things right now, its a huge part of the game. As a team we just don't even seem to notice these things, Maynard and Cooke have to take the blame for that

Quote Originally Posted by Taffy Blue in Berkshire View Post
    Our t20 record under him is very poor but our Championship record is decent. I don’t think he takes t20 seriously but he should because that’s where the money is and it’s brings in punters through the turnstiles.

Our t20 record under him is very poor but our Championship record is decent. I don’t think he takes t20 seriously but he should because that’s where the money is and it’s brings in punters through the turnstiles.
    I see Maynard is involved with the coaching for the Welsh Fire - I agree that he's been a better long game coach for Glamorgan than short game one, but this suggests that he is pretty highly regarded when it comes to the latter.

Duncan Fletcher rated Maynard, he still seems to be pretty well thought of at Somerset and his longevity as a coach suggests that applies throughout the game.

The wheels rather came off for Glamorgan in T20 once Labuschagne became unavailable and as he and Neser's period of self isolation doesn't end until Monday, they both miss out at Sussex - Joe Cooke, Hogan and Van Der Guigten (his resting for the last couple of T20 matches suggests we took the opportunity to give a few youngsters a game) return, while Ingram is in a squad of thirteen along with Sam Pearce.

Allowances are made for players to jump in and out of county games due to international call ups. I think its poor form from the ecb not to enact a similar rule for covid isolations.

Should be an interesting game. Will be nice to see Ingram back in the longer format

Early wicket for timm, then another delay .
    frustrating! Would much rather be the bowling side in a stop start game though

Sussex 60-4, Travis Head has his highest Championship score of the season (22) and Ben Brown, who always scores runs against us it seems, together. If we can break this partnership quite quickly, we could bowl them out cheaply after they elected to bat.

Good day for glammy. Was getting a bit worried about another good lower order partnership against us. The wicket right at the end tips it well on our favour again. 161/7 good result

Strange choice for Sussex to put themselves in first but no complaints here, decent couple sessions for us that. Hopefully can knock a few off early doors tomorrow and see how we fare on it - weather permitting.

That Ibrahim for Sussex looks like he’s maybe on course for his second fifty of the season at 16 years old.

Quote Originally Posted by Kind of Blue View Post
    Strange choice for Sussex to put themselves in first but no complaints here, decent couple sessions for us that. Hopefully can knock a few off early doors tomorrow and see how we fare on it - weather permitting.

That Ibrahim for Sussex looks like he’s maybe on course for his second fifty of the season at 16 years old.
    Fair play to him. That spinner they had on Friday was only 16 aswell. They're putting some of the experienced players there to shame

Fair play to him. That spinner they had on Friday was only 16 aswell. They're putting some of the experienced players there to shame
    Isn’t as easy to tell with all the batting gear on today but that lad on Friday very much looked like a child as well! Agreed, fairplay to them both.

Very impressed by Ibrahim yesterday who played in a mature fashion while looking like he should be batting quite a bit higher than seven. At the other end of the age scale, I had to admire how Hogan was able to to finish the day with three very accurately bowled deliveries on the leg side into Beer's chest. With the first one I thought it was a poorly directed, wasted ball, but when he did it again, it was clear he was bowling to a plan and he got his man with the last ball of the day. I just thought it was so good on Hogan's behalf to be still thinking and planning at a time when I know my thoughts would have been along the lines of "let's get this over as soon as possible and come back fresh tomorrow".

Apparently, the forecast is quite a bit better for today, so the opportunity is there for Glamorgan to work themselves into a strong position. I see Sussex have picked two spinners and Hove has had some pitches which turned late on this season (Sussex's Carson is, arguably, the most impressive young spinner in the country currently) , so I think we need to have a decent first innings lead - some of our batsmen will need to show that they're not carrying their poor T20 form into the longer game.

Big day of cricket. If we can wrap this innings up quickly and build a good total we could start thinking about top 2. With no play yet in the lancashire game, and the way Northants v Yorkshire is going at the moment. A win here, followed by beating Northants would see us in a top 2 place. Never a good idea to start getting hopeful when it comes to glammy, but maybe, just maybe this is the year we can do it

Sussex end on 226

Tempted to say that the ease of tailenders indicates a decent batting deck. Hasn't always been the case this season though. 300 now would be fantastic. Bonus points would indicate we have the best bowling attack and worst batting lineup in the league(although the major factor has obviously been the sophia Gardens pitch). Can the batsman stand up today !