+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Cardiff humiliated on final day of season as “we want you to stay” choruses still ring out.

Cardiff humiliated on final day of season as “we want you to stay” choruses still ring out.

Tanner and Ashford shine amid last day gloom.

https://mauveandyellowarmy.net

Re: Cardiff humiliated on final day of season as “we want you to stay” choruses still ring out.

Good write up as always Bob. Sadly, I think 5-2 defeats will become the norm next season. Just my thoughts that's all....

Re: Cardiff humiliated on final day of season as “we want you to stay” choruses still ring out.

Interesting comment from Steve Evans after the game: “The players were surprised when we told them we were going with three strikers, but we thought that was a way we could get at Cardiff City.”

So, the new manager of one of the very worst sides in Championship history identified a weakness in City’s set-up and exploited it, while our manager stuck with his usual formation. No surprise there.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Interesting comment from Steve Evans after the game: “The players were surprised when we told them we were going with three strikers, but we thought that was a way we could get at Cardiff City.”

So, the new manager of one of the very worst sides in Championship history identified a weakness in City’s set-up and exploited it, while our manager stuck with his usual formation. No surprise there.
    It was only when the 4th or 5th went in I even realised that old dinosaur Steve Evans was their manager. FFS outdone by Evans tactics.

I've renewed my season ticket but I won't be looking forward to next season if Bulut stays. I've seen absolutely nothing to support the contention of some that he's steadying the ship ready to push on with some much more attacking, attractive football. I don't believe anyone else has either. Maybe they just find it hard to believe he could could possibly pursue this dull-as-ditchwater and, ultimately, not very successful style of football going forward? I think they'll be bitterly disappointed if so.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    It was only when the 4th or 5th went in I even realised that old dinosaur Steve Evans was their manager. FFS outdone by Evans tactics.
    Steve Evans is a whiley old fox. Hand on heart, I'd rather him here next season than Bulut

If teams pressed our defence more, we’d be doomed most weeks. It’s a no brainer.

If Bulut is still here next season and doesn't change his approach, which I don't believe he will do, then many of this season's opponents will have sussed out his tactical inflexibility.

bulut's park the bus tactics found out by the weakest team in championship history. roll on next year....

As usual a good write-up Bob. I would imagine you're quite relieved to have a break from commenting on this dross week in week out.

From being ambivalent towards Bulut's potential contract extension, I like many supporters I suspect, now feel apprehensive about our prospects under him next season.

The issue is despite the "conservative" approach and set up of bulut we concede so many goals. 70 this season. Eric said our worst at this level for nearly 50 years?

That would be understandable if we were playing fast attacking football but conceding a few goals as part of the transition but being so embarrassingly poor and weak in defence yet also setting the team up only to defend is ridiculous.

We scored 20 goals from set pieces this season, the highest in the Championship. Is this a part of the Bulut masterplan, because if it isn't and they dry up next season our points tally will reflect the dire quality of our football.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    We scored 20 goals from set pieces this season, the highest in the Championship. Is this a part of the Bulut masterplan, because if it isn't and they dry up next season our points tally will reflect the dire quality of our football.
    We've scored 12 more goals this season than last season. We scored 13 more goals from set pieces this season than last season.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    We've scored 12 more goals this season than last season. We scored 13 more goals from set pieces this season than last season.
    I think those stats back up my argument - take away our set pieces and we're a relegation side.

I think those stats back up my argument - take away our set pieces and we're a relegation side.
    Apparently, City ended the season rock bottom of the Championship in terms of goals from open play, but top of the Championship in terms of goals from set pieces. And also top of the Championship in terms of own goals in our favour.

That's it in a nutshell. Set pieces, late winners, recovering from being behind in games, they're the reason we finished in the top half. That's the winning mentality that Bulut created, almost a British Bulldog approach. Virtually every statistic from this season makes for grim reading, other than the number of wins we've achieved. To some, those wins matter more than anything else. To others, those stats cause concerns. Nobody is right or wrong to feel like that, of course.

Apparently, City ended the season rock bottom of the Championship in terms of goals from open play, but top of the Championship in terms of goals from set pieces. And also top of the Championship in terms of own goals in our favour.
    CHAMPIONS!!!!!

Unreal isn't it. Though apparently if you were to take away all goals we conceded from right footed strikes we'd be top 6.

International

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Tanner and Ashford shine amid last day gloom.

https://mauveandyellowarmy.net
    The last few games became glorified friendlies, although it's nice to give the kids a game, the results dived, I think that was the established players though just going through the motions.

easy to read too much into a game with nothing riding on it, clearly several of the players were already on the beach

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    easy to read too much into a game with nothing riding on it, clearly several of the players were already on the beach
    They were playing like they were on the beach in November.

I doubt that was the case.

It's also easy to dismiss a heavy defeat if it doesn't the narrative you're keenest on.

It's also easy to dismiss a heavy defeat if it doesn't the narrative you're keenest on.
    100%.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    CHAMPIONS!!!!!
    Yes, we should be going up instead of Leicester! Imagine us in the premier league under Bulut. Actually don't....