+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: GLAMMY

Re: GLAMMY

Quote Originally Posted by chrisp_1927 View Post
    We've already dropped 8 guaranteed points with the declaration against Northants. Here we've gambled 8 points , plus a potential 5 batting bonus points in the hope of taking 16. There is no real payoff. Just Maynard's demented vision of making the team 'prove themselves'
    Have to disagree and go with Elwood on this. We're not going to catch Yorks or Lancs by settling for cautious draws. I also believe we are not going to improve as a team by being totally risk averse.

Quote Originally Posted by Madassa View Post
    Have to disagree and go with Elwood on this. We're not going to catch Yorks or Lancs by settling for cautious draws. I also believe we are not going to improve as a team by being totally risk averse.
    Indeed. There is also the point that Labushagne needs to find some form He wouldn't have got that in the pavilion

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood Blues View Post
    I would concede that the declaration against Northants was misjudged. Still agree with the concept though.

Edit Looking at the weather now it is all pretty academic anyway!
    Weather seems to be teasing us here. Sunday looked a complete write off in all the forecasts pre game. When I checked last night it was predicting no rain until 6, but here it comes!

Quote Originally Posted by Madassa View Post
    In terms of cautious draws i do agree with you. But I just don't see the payoff here, risking 8 guaranteed points, and a possible 13, to instead go for the possibility of 16 points with the potential of 0. If the first innings was done fair enough. But missing the chance of up to 5 bonus points didn't make sense to me

In terms of cautious draws i do agree with you. But I just don't see the payoff here, risking 8 guaranteed points, and a possible 13, to instead go for the possibility of 16 points with the potential of 0. If the first innings was done fair enough. But missing the chance of up to 5 bonus points didn't make sense to me
    At 64/3 I think it unlikely we'd get near 5 batting points even with the lower order heroics we've seen so far this season - a max of 3 would be more realistic. I suppose the judgement made was a max of 11pts if we batted well for a draw or the possibility of an extra 5points on top of this if we pulled off an admittedly ambitious win. As Elwood says the prospect of giving Labushagne time at the crease might also be a factor.

Should have batted on for bonus points. Maynard is destroying this team again.

I dunno. Seemed the chances of getting more than a couple of batting points was remote. Yes there was the risk of losing and missing out on the 8 points for the draw but going for a 16 point win seemed fair enough. All academic now with yet another game ruined by this bloody weather.

All done now - Match drawn

Can’t you just tell Glamorgan aren’t playing in this weeks round of fixtures- look at the weather!

Some news on our two overseas signings.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/57247692

Michael Hogan has signed a one year contract extension.

Also, Glamorgan began their defence of the Second eleven 20/20 trophy today against a Warwickshire side that they beat twice in warm up games last week. Trouble is this time Warwickshire had a certain C Brathwaite playing for them who scored 116 off fifty odd balls in a total of 202-6and then took four wickets as Glamorgan replied with 189-7. The good news is that there were runs for Nick Selman who scored 107 off sixty balls.

Fans allowed back in for today's home game with Lancashire. Glamorgan make one change with Weighell replacing Van Der Guyten who's away playing for the Netherlands - they've won the toss and put Lancashire in.

Great start.
    Lancs 5 for 1 in 4th over.
    Hogan.

Great start for glam. Mind you, Weighell has now bowled 6 overs. If he has 3 legal deliveries in that spell I would be very surprised. Not sure who is worse, him for bowling no balls or the bloody umpire for not spotting them.

Lancashire 113-6, but latter order batsmen have been a bit of a problem for us this season and the seventh wicket partnership is the highest of the innings so far.

From 74/1 to 97/5 is disappointing. A lot resting on Labuschagne to try and get to us to a first innings lead

Glammy subside to 144/8. In a week of dreadful officiating Umpire Baldwin is right down there. Some of his decisions have been woeful.

What a frustrating day that turned out to be. The 87 runs we leaked for the last 4 wickets could be a big factor. didn't seem that way when we were 71-1 mind. Will be interested to see how the pitch behaves tomorrow

Why do they insist on making the pitches so low scoring in Cardiff??

You can earn more bonus points by batting yet any score over 250 seems really unlikely. Guess you get less draws when a match lasts 7 sessions though we normally turn those draws into defeats!!!

Was not expecting this. Hopefully we get these last 2 wickets cheaply. Glamorgan favourites again!

Quote Originally Posted by fugsyphil View Post
    Why do they insist on making the pitches so low scoring in Cardiff??

You can earn more bonus points by batting yet any score over 250 seems really unlikely. Guess you get less draws when a match lasts 7 sessions though we normally turn those draws into defeats!!!
    Once again, the large majority of the wickets taken in a game at Cardiff have been LBW or bowled and this pitch does not look as green as some have done this season. The overhead conditions are not that bad, so I’m struggling to see why the pitch has been so bowler friendly this season although the high number of LBWs might be down to the current fad of batsmen seeming to want to play a version of French cricket by standing in front of their stumps.

I thought Lancashire would put together a match winning score today, but the truth is that Glamorgan need to score more than they did in the first innings (when I thought they wasted a great chance) to win - Lancashire must still be favourites.

The forecast is superb for the next two days so I would have us just about favourites.

Wouldn't like to have to get too much more than 200 though.
    Need lamb gone.

The amount of runs we are giving to the tailenders is starting to get pathetic now. Starts getting to the point where its more about character than talent. So frustrating

Lamb plumb in front of the wicket and not given as lbw. The umpiring has been abysmal.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    Lamb plumb in front of the wicket and not given as lbw. The umpiring has been abysmal.
    Lamb gone!
    Luckily the rubbish umpiring didn't cost us on this occasion!

188 to win - too many I reckon.

We should win this . I really don't think the pitch is completely responsible for the poor batting by both sides so far. Haven't seen any of today admittedly, but there were a fair few daft shots yesterday. Lloyd looked in decent nick again yesterday before leaving a straight one, and Marnus looked like he is starting to click again. I think a lot depends on those 2.

Huge innings ahead, win this and top 2 is definitely on, combined with a big haul of points to take into the top group.

Really hope it's not the silly runs at the end of both innings that end up costing us