+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: GLAMMY

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: GLAMMY

To be honest, it's been a much better season for Glamorgan than I feared it would be after our first few four day matches.

Although, we've faded badly recently, we've done well in one day cricket, but, even when we were winning consistently, the batting was over reliant on Ingram. As you would expect from players of their age, Lloyd and Donald have been inconsistent in white ball cricket, but there have been some very good innings from both of them at times and they both should only get better in years to come - it's the other more experienced batsmen who have not really delivered the goods.

Similarly, we are not the same bowling unit without Steyn. Hardly surprisingly, age is becoming more of a factor with Hogan and Cosker no longer offers the control he once did - Graham Wagg has struggled this year as well. Positives for me in one day bowling have been that Meschede seems to have come on and van der Gugten has had a decent first season.

We've not batted too badly in red ball cricket when you consider Rudolph's lack of form, Ingram's complete absence from the team and Cooke's injury. Lloyd has proved that he's not just a one day merchant and Donald's innings against Derbyshire was proof that he is potentially a special batsman - there's been a promising introduction into first team cricket for Selman as well.

On the bowling front, there's a lack of penetration in the seam bowling as Hogan and Wagg, hardly surprisingly, find it hard going in the daily grind of the Championship as thirty somethings, but it's spin bowling which is the real concern for me. Salter struggles to take wickets and it's too early to tell yet whether Morgan will be able to make a success of the step up into senior cricket. Presumably, Bull will be back from his injury, but, if Ingram isn't going to play four day cricket, I feel our priority for the winter should be an experienced spinner.
    Last edited by the other bob wilson; 02-08-16 at 05:36.