+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: GLAMMY

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: GLAMMY

I’ve been abroad and not been able to keep an eye on this, save the notifications coming through, which has done me a favour I guess. What a turnaround from last week.

Following on from what TOBW has said re: playing Middlesex at Sophia Gardens. I can’t back this up with any stats but I’ve half thought for a while that we’ve tended to do better away from home generally and we don’t get much of a home advantage in Cardiff. But as I’ve said, that’s not based on any stats I’ve bothered to unearth and probably added to by the fact we’ve not been that great consistently at home - or away! - for a while generally.

I do have a soft spot for St Helen’s and it’s a shame the state it’s gotten into. On talk of out grounds, I picked up some Wisden book on county cricket grounds in a charity shop in east London a few years back. Great little Time Capsule of a book, pre Durham getting first class status I think. Glammy had quite a number in there, I’d have to check but one of the most out of any county, but also easily the most venues out of the historic county too compared to others. Outside of the ones mentioned here so far I think Ponty, Merthyr, Ebbw Vale, Aberystwyth and Llanelli, have all hosted games at some points.

Quote Originally Posted by Kind of Blue View Post
    I’ve been abroad and not been able to keep an eye on this, save the notifications coming through, which has done me a favour I guess. What a turnaround from last week.

Following on from what TOBW has said re: playing Middlesex at Sophia Gardens. I can’t back this up with any stats but I’ve half thought for a while that we’ve tended to do better away from home generally and we don’t get much of a home advantage in Cardiff. But as I’ve said, that’s not based on any stats I’ve bothered to unearth and probably added to by the fact we’ve not been that great consistently at home - or away! - for a while generally.

I do have a soft spot for St Helen’s and it’s a shame the state it’s gotten into. On talk of out grounds, I picked up some Wisden book on county cricket grounds in a charity shop in east London a few years back. Great little Time Capsule of a book, pre Durham getting first class status I think. Glammy had quite a number in there, I’d have to check but one of the most out of any county, but also easily the most venues out of the historic county too compared to others. Outside of the ones mentioned here so far I think Ponty, Merthyr, Ebbw Vale, Aberystwyth and Llanelli, have all hosted games at some points.
    Yes, I can remember us playing at all of those grounds - I’ve seen us play at the first three of them. We also played a Sunday League match at Pentyrch about thirty years ago and we played Surrey a few years at some village in west Wales, I’d not heard of before or since!

We beat Kent and Middlesex at Cardiff in four matches last season and I seem to remember reading after the first of them that was our first win Cardiff for three years - I may be wrong there, but we haven’t won many in Cardiff in the last decade or so.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Yes, I can remember us playing at all of those grounds - I’ve seen us play at the first three of them. We also played a Sunday League match at Pentyrch about thirty years ago and we played Surrey a few years at some village in west Wales, I’d not heard of before or since!

We beat Kent and Middlesex at Cardiff in four matches last season and I seem to remember reading after the first of them that was our first win Cardiff for three years - I may be wrong there, but we haven’t won many in Cardiff in the last decade or so.
    I went to that one in Pentyrch , I think it was Northamptonshire and Curtley Ambrose was playing

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    I went to that one in Pentyrch , I think it was Northamptonshire and Curtley Ambrose was playing
    Yes it was Northants - here’s a list of the grounds Glamorgan have played at;-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...t_Club_grounds