+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: GLAMMY

Re: GLAMMY

Yes. I remember Thorpe's application as an England opener at the time meant he was a shoe in for selection.

Nice nature about him too.

Hope he pulls through.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Graham Thorpe, only fifty two and currently coach of Afghanistan, “seriously ill” with no prognosis for his condition. Hope he pulls through, he was England’s best batsman of the nineties in my opinion.
    One report suggested that he had had a fall, but that would suggest injury not illness?

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Yes. I remember Thorpe's application as an England opener at the time meant he was a shoe in for selection.

Nice nature about him too.

Hope he pulls through.
    Don't think he ever opened?

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    It used to be 3 but Paul has just confirmed its only 2 these days.
    Yeah my mistake I knew it was one less but for some reason I thought that went from 2 to 1 not 3 to 2

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    One report suggested that he had had a fall, but that would suggest injury not illness?
    I’ve read it as fallen ill, rather than a fall.

Quote Originally Posted by Father Dougal View Post
    Don't think he ever opened?
    You are right Father, my mistake. I'm not sure why I thought he opened!

My memory is wavering somewhat but thinking about him now, I do seem to remember him getting England out of all kinds of bother in his career.
    Didn't England try him in a number of positions further up the batting during their many struggles?

You are right Father, my mistake. I'm not sure why I thought he opened!

My memory is wavering somewhat but thinking about him now, I do seem to remember him getting England out of all kinds of bother in his career.
    Didn't England try him in a number of positions further up the batting during their many struggles?
    England chopped and changed their batting order all of the time back then. It usually depended on where they wanted to play Alec Stewart, which was anywhere from 1 to 7. Players like Hussain, Hick, Butcher and Thorpe just fitted around them. I don't think Thorpe would bat at 3 though - he was more 4 5 or 6 I think.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    England chopped and changed their batting order all of the time back then. It usually depended on where they wanted to play Alec Stewart, which was anywhere from 1 to 7. Players like Hussain, Hick, Butcher and Thorpe just fitted around them. I don't think Thorpe would bat at 3 though - he was more 4 5 or 6 I think.
    Yep correct. Terrific battler of a player in an incredibly tough era of fast and spin bowling.

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Shot Hamish. View Post
    I’ve read it as fallen ill, rather than a fall.
    Yes, that’s what I took it to be.

Glamorgan seconds are 377-1 against Worcester with the only wicket to fall being Joe Cooke for 135, Billy Root 175 not out and Colin Ingram is forty odd not out. Bit surprised Ed Byrom hasn’t batted yet - Billy Root the next player to have a go at opening for the first team?

Glamorgan seconds are 377-1 against Worcester with the only wicket to fall being Joe Cooke for 135, Billy Root 175 not out and Colin Ingram is forty odd not out. Bit surprised Ed Byrom hasn’t batted yet - Billy Root the next player to have a go at opening for the first team?
    thats a good call root opening worth a try

I would prefer Joe Cooke is given a chance. He is a useful bowler too. Root has had a lot of chances and apart from the occasional innings has been below par.

I think I'm in a minority of 1, judging by this forum and Facebook. But I actually don't mind Salter opening. He's worth his place in the team for his bowling, and he's facing an average of 32 balls per innings. OK, his average is rubbish at present, but when I look at some of the early collapses we've endured over the years I don't mind him being there. If he wasn't bowling well I'd be a lot more receptive to looking at his place as opener.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisp_1927 View Post
    I think I'm in a minority of 1, judging by this forum and Facebook. But I actually don't mind Salter opening. He's worth his place in the team for his bowling, and he's facing an average of 32 balls per innings. OK, his average is rubbish at present, but when I look at some of the early collapses we've endured over the years I don't mind him being there. If he wasn't bowling well I'd be a lot more receptive to looking at his place as opener.
    Salts is a decent bowler in the shorter form of the game but in first class cricket his bowling average at just below 48 is pretty poor. I know he got a good haul of wickets in one innings this season but in the main he does very little in the longer form of the game with the ball. Batting wise his average is around 24 which is fine if he were coming in at 8 but nowhere near up to it as an opener. I think his batting average is around 13 this season.

We’ve still got Byrom to come in and you’d think he’d be pencilled in for the opening job, but I remember him batting at number four or five when he played last season and he didn’t go in first for the seconds, so maybe Maynard sees him as a middle order batsman?

We’ve still got Byrom to come in and you’d think he’d be pencilled in for the opening job, but I remember him batting at number four or five when he played last season and he didn’t go in first for the seconds, so maybe Maynard sees him as a middle order batsman?

I suspect he may come in as an opener given our middle order is very strong. I can’t see the Salter experiment continuing once Byrom is fit. Salter might stay in the side though at the expense of one of the bowlers and bat at eight.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    Salts is a decent bowler in the shorter form of the game but in first class cricket his bowling average at just below 48 is pretty poor. I know he got a good haul of wickets in one innings this season but in the main he does very little in the longer form of the game with the ball. Batting wise his average is around 24 which is fine if he were coming in at 8 but nowhere near up to it as an opener. I think his batting average is around 13 this season.
    I think he's a bit of a late bloomer , watching him towards the end of last season and this season he just seems to have a bit more of a zip. Bowling to plans and looking to take wickets, rather than just playing a holding role. Not sure if the emergence of sisodyia and Taylor gave him a kick up the bum, or if something just clicked for him.

Billy Root in for Glamorgan who have won the toss and put Durham in - as usual, plenty of online coverage of the game.

Billy Root in for Glamorgan who have won the toss and put Durham in - as usual, plenty of online coverage of the game.
    Nice to see van der gugten back aswell. Great opportunity for Root after a good score with the 2nds. Would be nice to see him carry on that form

I may be slightly biased. But all this glam v stokes, stokes v marnus stuff that keeps popping up on previews is winding me right up. Stokes v Neser fair enough, decent comparison. But Marnus is on another level, best test batsman in the bloody world!!

Durham 81-2, looks a good pitch despite its green tinged appearance.

I see an ex Glamorgan player, Brendan McCullum ( he played for them in 2006) seems likely to become the coach of England's red ball team according to the Telegraph and Guardian.

Matthew Mott the former Glamorgan coach is an outside bet for the white ball job (Paul Collingwood appears to be favourtie)

A bit late with this but it was nice to see Aneurin Donald get some runs the other day in his first first-class match since 2019.

https://www.thecricketer.com/Topics/...y_lay-off.html

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood Blues View Post
    I see an ex Glamorgan player, Brendan McCullum ( he played for them in 2006) seems likely to become the coach of England's red ball team according to the Telegraph and Guardian.

Matthew Mott the former Glamorgan coach is an outside bet for the white ball job (Paul Collingwood appears to be favourtie)
    Matt Mott?

Is there any truth in the rumour that he once played American baseball as backstop?
    Matt Mott the Mitt

Matt Mott?

Is there any truth in the rumour that he once played American baseball as backstop?
    Matt Mott the Mitt

He also has a dog and once studied at the institution formerly known as UWIC