+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: GLAMMY

Re: GLAMMY

Quote Originally Posted by chrisp_1927 View Post
    At Amlas age and with what he has done in his career that is tremendous. To still have that desire to dig in and save a game. That was always what set him and devilliers apart from the rest of the modern batsman for me. Average wise they were as good as anyone, they can be as destructive and pleasing on the eye as anyone. They also both have an amazing capacity to dig in and switch the shots off when the game situation demands that approach, an increasingly rare ability in the modern game.
    I was thinking exactly the same as you put in your first sentence. I’d say DeVilliers is the most naturally talented batsmen of the twenty first century, while I can remember seeing Amla in his first few tests and thinking he had no chance - it’s a tribute to his attitude and dedication that he became a really good test player.

Glamorgan drew withSussex reaching 154-5 in typical fashion with everyone getting into double figures, but no one scored more than twenty seven - it seems that they’ve cliched a top four finish and a place in the second tier come September no matter what happens Northants next week - that has to be seen as a good effort in what looked a very tough group when the draw was made.

Amla batted all day for scoring thirty seven I think it was off about two hundred and eighty balls as Surrey finished on 122-8 off one hundred and five overs.

Excellent news for Glamorgan fans, Michael Neser has signed a two year contract extension;-

https://glamorgancricket.com/news/ne...deal?nocache=1

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Excellent news for Glamorgan fans, Michael Neser has signed a two year contract extension;-

https://glamorgancricket.com/news/ne...deal?nocache=1
    I dunno.What does it mean these days? Overseas players seem to only play for half a season before heading somewhere else. I would hope both Neser and Labuschagne would be our two T20 overseas players next season. We don’t need to sign anyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    I dunno.What does it mean these days? Overseas players seem to only play for half a season before heading somewhere else. I would hope both Neser and Labuschagne would be our two T20 overseas players next season. We don’t need to sign anyone else.
    Ingram is under contract for next season as well. Neser doesn't seem to be in Australia's plans at the moment, so could be available for almost all of next season.

Need to get van der Gugten to sign a new contract now - he's been very good this season. Fully expecting James Harris to sign for next season as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Ger27 View Post
    Ingram is under contract for next season as well. Neser doesn't seem to be in Australia's plans at the moment, so could be available for almost all of next season.

Need to get van der Gugten to sign a new contract now - he's been very good this season. Fully expecting James Harris to sign for next season as well.
    Sadly, because he was a fine player at his best, I think James Harris would struggle to get in our side now based on his form for us and Middlesex this season.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Sadly, because he was a fine player at his best, I think James Harris would struggle to get in our side now based on his form for us and Middlesex this season.
    In his first season he became the youngest player ever to take 10 wickets or more in a county cricket match (he took 12).

He followed this up by being 13 runs away from being the youngest ever century maker in county cricket (he scored 87 not out)

I think many thought then we had a future England star in the making

Unfortunately whilst he has had a good career he never reached those heights and in fact that 87* remains his highest first class score.

As you say not sure what he brings to the party for us now though

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood Blues View Post
    In his first season he became the youngest player ever to take 10 wickets or more in a county cricket match (he took 12).

He followed this up by being 13 runs away from being the youngest ever century maker in county cricket (he scored 87 not out)

I think many thought then we had a future England star in the making

Unfortunately whilst he has had a good career he never reached those heights and in fact that 87* remains his highest first class score.

As you say not sure what he brings to the party for us now though
    There was a time when he was very close to a test call up, but I think it was always felt that he didn’t quite have enough pace and he wasn’t the first or last cricketer whose career suffered because he made changes to try and satisfy the England selectors. I agree with you about his batting, he’s better than his average suggests - he was so good in scoring his only century, in a televised one day match for Middlesex, that there really should have been quite a few others.

Quote Originally Posted by Ger27 View Post

I am genuinely surprised Ingram is back again next season.

Is Neser playing in the Royal London Cup?

Pretty sure I read somewhere that both Australians are playing their last game of the season for us tomorrow.

That’s what I’ve read. So Neser will have played something like 6 Championship games and that’s it.

I've got used to seeing Glamorgan wickets fall from the first ball I've watched on the stream in recent seasons, but this time it was Van Der Gugten getting one - Northants, batting on winning the toss, have made a decent start at 40-1 and Vasconcelos, who always scores runs against us, is still there.

Glamorgan going pretty well at 177-4 in reply to Northants' 215 at lunch, but they were 154-2 with Labuschagne and Root going great guns until Edward Bevan started talking about how much on top they were - of course, that was the signal for them both to be out within the next three balls!

400 for 4
    Carlson and Cooke with a 200plus partnership

462-4 at the close with Carlson and Cooke putting on an unbroken 300 plus. Incredible really considering the scores at the ground throughout the season, but, occasionally, the Sophia Gardens pitch gets flatter and flatter as a game goes on and this might well be one of those wickets. However, barring something truly incredible tomorrow, Glamorgan will take enough points to go above Northants even if it’s a draw and finish a very creditable third in a six team group which has four First Division sides in it.

Great day today. Hopefully they can skittle Northants out tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by willo1927 View Post
    400 for 4
    Carlson and Cooke with a 200plus partnership
    Finished 462-4.
    400 runs in the day.
    300 partnership.
    Highest ever 5th wicket partnership for Glamorgan, beating one from 1949.
    Highest ever 5th wicket partnership by anyone v Northamptonshire.
    And one for the purist - First 100 of the partnership no extras.

On a Glamorgan theme, Andrew Balbirnie, who had a really tough time of it with us at the start of the season, scored a hundred for Ireland today in their comfortable forty odd run win over South Africa in a fifty over match in Dublin.

Lovely stuff today. As much as the T20 performances have been disappointing the team have done very well in the Championship. We will finish third which in a very tough group is excellent.
    I hope Carlson gets a shot with England Lions this winter.

Very good day . Root and Marnus were very good. When they were both bowled within a few balls it looked like same old story. What a partnership by Cooke and carlson though

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    Lovely stuff today. As much as the T20 performances have been disappointing the team have done very well in the Championship. We will finish third which in a very tough group is excellent.
    I hope Carlson gets a shot with England Lions this winter.
    Agreed

great to watch the batting performance tues afternoon on the telly, let's hope they can do the business later today.

Glamorgan declare … 247 ahead

We should win this now, but why not another half hour this morning, or really hit out last night. Another declaration from a very strong position, that gives the opposition a very good chance.

Got to be honest, can't quite get onboard with the overachieved narrative that Maynard wants to pump out. The 2 aussies are world class, Lloyd's scored lots from the top, Carlson has looked fantastic at times and the bowling attack has showed the quality we all knew it had. We should be playing hard and trying to maximise points, rather than this idea of 'making a game of it for the experience '.

They don't need toughening up or 'experiences '. They deserve to be sent out as a team that can and should compete hard and win a lot of games.