Plenty of twenties and thirties from Glamorgan players and then they get out. I watch Carlson bat thinking he’ll be out every ball - that’s fair enough if he’s playing under orders to thrash at everything, but it seems a bit of a waste of a real talent to me.

Colin Ingram is not the player he was and I can understand the decision to start with Labuschagne and Neser, but he knew how to convert promising starts into fifties or more - generally speaking, you need someone to do that if you’re going to get the sort of totals we should have got at Middlesex and last night especially, but unless our “anchorman” Northeast does it at a slower pace (it’s okay having someone anchor the innings when chasing the sort of totals we had to in our two wins, but it’s a luxury you can’t afford in most twenty over games surely?}, we’ve got no one who can do that it seems - I think I’m right in saying that we’ve only scored one four day game century so far in this high scoring season as well.

We’ve plenty of players who can play attractive cameos which don’t win matches, but we’ve never replaced the Ingram of five years ago and I’m beginning to wonder if it might be worth getting him back in the side before Labuschagne departs in the hope he can roll back the years because otherwise I can’t see us getting beyond the 180/190 range which is limiting the number of ways we can win matches.

I wouldn’t blame the bowlers, who’d done really well before then, for last night - Smeed will be playing for England soon I reckon and he’s a young player who can do what no one in our side is capable of by the look of it.