+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Burnley relegated, Luton as good as down

Burnley relegated, Luton as good as down

Shows how predictable that this outcome has been coming.

Can't see a mention of it on the board.

Burnley lose at Spurs and are down with Sheff Utd. Luton need a mathematical miracle next week (need to win by seven and Forest lose by six)

Re: Burnley relegated, Luton as good as down

It’s hardly surprising. The Championship was utter garbage last year - the worst it’s been in terms of quality for many years.

The three teams who got promoted from the Championship in 2021/22 will still be in the Premier League next season , while the three clubs who were promoted last season are coming straight back down. That speaks volumes.

The Championship in 2022/23 was unusually bad.

Really sad to see that whinging Nottingham Forest are going to stay up, but there can be no doubting that they were better than Sheffield United, Burnley and Luton. Some of tho Norwich teams to be relegated in recent years have been hopeless, but I’d say that Sheffield United have been the worst Premier League side since the notoriously bad Derby side that won just one match all season. Burnley were only truly competitive for a while in the last month and had a rabbits caught in the headlights look to them for the majority of the season. Luton, who I thought may break Derby’slow points record were the only ones out of the three to really have a go and, for a while in the winter, it looked like they could stay up, but ithey seemed to run out of steam about six weeks ago.

I reckon Burnley will be challenging at the top of next season’s Championship, but I’m not sure about the other two,- in fact, I wouldn’t be surprised to see Sheffield United struggle.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    It’s hardly surprising. The Championship was utter garbage last year - the worst it’s been in terms of quality for many years.

The three teams who got promoted from the Championship in 2021/22 will still be in the Premier League next season , while the three clubs who were promoted last season are coming straight back down. That speaks volumes.

Spot on

IMO- The 21/22 season was poor as the post-world realities hit home, but the 22/23 season hammered the poorly run clubs (Cardiff) as they did anything and everything to shed costs and those who went into Covid less mad did better as they didn't have to shed as much cost. There were a lot of poor teams last season and you didn't really need to do much to collect points from them.

The premier league is a TV money league so Covid didn't hurt them as much so was unaffected. This season's championship is better, but there are still alot of poor teams in it.

Be interesting to see what happens to Kompany, a media darling so may get a bigger job offer

That 4-3 loss at Bournemouth must have knocked Luton badly.

3-0 up and apparently coasting, to lose 4-3 must have been devastating

This will be only the second time in Premier League history that all three promoted sides have gone straight back down. The last time it happened was 1997/98.

Sheffield United have created a new Premier League record by conceding 101 goals (and counting). For context, that terrible Derby side back in 2007/08 conceded 89 goals.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    Shows how predictable that this outcome has been coming.

Can't see a mention of it on the board.

Burnley lose at Spurs and are down with Sheff Utd. Luton need a mathematical miracle next week (need to win by seven and Forest lose by six)
    As pointed out elsewhere I suspect, this makes our points totals of 30 and 34 for our two seasons in the Premier League look almost respectable….. :-/

Am I right in thinking that we still have our record of being the only team ever promoted to the Premier League twice and never stayed up?

This will be only the second time in Premier League history that all three promoted sides have gone straight back down. The last time it happened was 1997/98.

Sheffield United have created a new Premier League record by conceding 101 goals (and counting). For context, that terrible Derby side back in 2007/08 conceded 89 goals.
    Ths was going to be my question.

No doubt it will lead to concerns that the gap between the divisions is growing, although people have been saying that for 30 years

Forest have spent an exceptional amount of money to finish 4th bottom.

The gap is there thanks to ££££££££.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    As pointed out elsewhere I suspect, this makes our points totals of 30 and 34 for our two seasons in the Premier League look almost respectable….. :-/
    Yep Luton on 26 points and everyone saying how fantastic they have been. Any other year they'd be cut adrift with that.

We beat Man City who went on to be Champions.

I dont think that Man City would be top 4 now.

Shearers analysis of Burnley on MOTD last night was telling. The amount of goals theyve conceded from the keeper playing it out from the back is crazy. The definition of madness doing the same things over and over and expecting a different result. I know Kompany has his principles and the way he wants to play but they clearly didn’t have the quality of player required to play that way at the top level.

That said if they can keep that squad together I think they will walk automatic promotion next season. They’ve got some good young talent, especially in the forward areas and they won’t be punished defensively like they have been this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Father Dougal View Post
    Yep Luton on 26 points and everyone saying how fantastic they have been. Any other year they'd be cut adrift with that.
    Have people said they’ve been fantastic? Or have people simply commended them for giving it a go against all the odds?

Luton’s transfer fee spend for this season is apparently around £21 million. Warnock spent that amount on Josh Murphy and Bobby Reid.

Luton’s average attendance this season is around 11,000. City’s average in 2018/19 was more than 31,000.

They were long odds on to finish bottom of the table before the season started, so the fact that they haven’t is definitely an achievement of sorts.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Forest have spent an exceptional amount of money to finish 4th bottom.
    Yes, but on the whole they’ve spent poorly. I don’t think Forest can really be held up as an example of anything given how they’ve been run.

….and we only just survived in the garbage it was

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    Oh yes . Well Neil , and on a shoestring budget .

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Oh yes . Well Neil , and on a shoestring budget .
    When you think who Warnock actually bought it’s a miracle we got 34 points, most on Murphy and Reid, that latter never played and Murphy has found his level. Can’t even recall who else he bought? Anyone of any value or contribution?

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    When you think who Warnock actually bought it’s a miracle we got 34 points, most on Murphy and Reid, that latter never played and Murphy has found his level. Can’t even recall who else he bought? Anyone of any value or contribution?
    Greg Cunningham , Viktor Camarasa , Alex Smithies , Harry Arter.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Greg Cunningham , Viktor Camarasa , Alex Smithies , Harry Arter.
    Don’t forget Leandro Bacuna (and Oumar Niasse on loan).

The gulf between the championship and the premier league seems to be widening year on year

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    The gulf between the championship and the premier league seems to be widening year on year
    Last season the three promoted sides stayed up. One finished 10th.