+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: GLAMMY

Re: GLAMMY

Welsh Fire chucked it away again - useless.

Absolutely gutted. Had 11/4 on Brum to win and hit most 4s and most 6s. Pretorius nutted me on the final ball .

What a joke the welsh fire are. Birmingham didn't really turn up. They absolutely imploded with the bat, all down to stupid shots by batsman. The useless Welsh fire bowling attack still let them get to 130. As for the batting. Yet another bottle job by David Miller. They had that game won, just needed to show some balls and finish it instead of patting singles.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisp_1927 View Post
    Absolutely gutted. Had 11/4 on Brum to win and hit most 4s and most 6s. Pretorius nutted me on the final ball .

What a joke the welsh fire are. Birmingham didn't really turn up. They absolutely imploded with the bat, all down to stupid shots by batsman. The useless Welsh fire bowling attack still let them get to 130. As for the batting. Yet another bottle job by David Miller. They had that game won, just needed to show some balls and finish it instead of patting singles.
    Al the Birmingham big plauers failed and welsh fire still messed it up. 13 from 10 balls becomes 9 fron 1 needed. Elite cricketers they are not. Schoolboy stuff

Welsh fire given the same budget as everyone else and end up with josh cobb as captain. Who picked these players? I remember seeing mark walllace at the auction picking them and Maynard is assistant coach. Doesnt bode well!

You look at those two teams player for player and there are far more stars in the Birmingham team. I know Bairstow’s made himself unavailable, but the squad looks the weakest by some distance in the competition on paper - someone seriously messed up at the auction.

Quote Originally Posted by Father Dougal View Post
    Al the Birmingham big plauers failed and welsh fire still messed it up. 13 from 10 balls becomes 10 from 2 needed. Elite cricketers they are not. Schoolboy stuff

Welsh fire given the same budget as everyone else and end up with josh cobb as captain. Who picked these players? I remember seeing mark walllace at the auction picking them and Maynard is assistant coach. Doesnt bode well!
    I was thinking similar. Maynard in the dugout. Cobb captain, a bloke who probably shouldn't have a hundred contract at all. It does come down to culture a lot I think. The Maynard style would be 'stay out there til the end David miller, don't do anything silly and and bring us home '. Then you open up the possibility of a couple of tight overs and a result like this. Any team with a decent culture would really attack with 23 needed off 20. Get it done, boost the run rate and don't give them a chance of sneaking back into the game.

Same moronic culture that saw Sam northeast being asked to stick around and play sensible for the first half of our T20 campaign

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    You look at those two teams player for player and there are far more stars in the Birmingham team. I know Bairstow’s made himself unavailable, but the squad looks the weakest by some distance in the competition on paper - someone seriously messed up at the auction.
    Mark wallace was definitely in the auction and was boasting about the cutting edge data they had used to select this squad. Last year was awful but its going to be 8 defeats this year.

Well mark wallaxce is welsh fire team manager and he explains his picks here

The Hundred: 'The money's a difficult one to work out' - Welsh Fire boss Wallace - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/cricket/60996666

Well mark wallaxce is welsh fire team manager and he explains his picks here

The Hundred: 'The money's a difficult one to work out' - Welsh Fire boss Wallace - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/cricket/60996666
    The squad was mediocre last season and a lot of them are back this time, so I assume there was not as much money available for the auction as in 2021. Clarke, whose signing I can understand to some extent, now has two ducks in three innings and although he’s a talent is still like too many in the team - good county players with little or no experience of international level cricket. Zampa is a good one day international bowler and Miller has a lot of white ball caps for South Africa (although you’d never have guessed it last night), but it looks like a bottom of the table squad. and it’s playing like one - also, there’s no cricketing advantage at all to them playing at home because they handle the poor Cardiff pitches worse than their opponents do.

It’s a far weaker squad than last year and that was poor enough. I had to Google have the team. If Fire couldn’t close out that match there is no chance in hell in winning any of them.

Why has Carlson taken off a spinner and brought Harris back on when our seam attack is being hammered all over the place?

The squad was mediocre last season and a lot of them are back this time, so I assume there was not as much money available for the auction as in 2021. Clarke, whose signing I can understand to some extent, now has two ducks in three innings and although he’s a talent is still like too many in the team - good county players with little or no experience of international level cricket. Zampa is a good one day international bowler and Miller has a lot of white ball caps for South Africa (although you’d never have guessed it last night), but it looks like a bottom of the table squad. and it’s playing like one - also, there’s no cricketing advantage at all to them playing at home because they handle the poor Cardiff pitches worse than their opponents do.
    Can you understand clarkes signing for cricketing reasons or because he went to bilingual secondary school- ysgol uwchradd Llanfyllin and promotes the welsh brand?

Can you understand clarkes signing for cricketing reasons or because he went to bilingual secondary school- ysgol uwchradd Llanfyllin and promotes the welsh brand?
    For cricketing reasons, but now you mention it, that’s about as close a connection to Wales as the team’s going to get. I was told by someone who was at the first game that Josh Cobb was announced as being Welsh - having just looked at Cobb’s Wikipedia page, I can only assume he was taking the piss or, probably more likely, misheard what was said.

For cricketing reasons, but now you mention it, that’s about as close a connection to Wales as the team’s going to get. I was told by someone who was at the first game that Josh Cobb was announced as being Welsh - having just looked at Cobb’s Wikipedia page, I can only assume he was taking the piss or, probably more likely, misheard what was said.
    Its a pisstake. Hes calling himself and being announced as josh the welsh Cobb for some reason!

Quote Originally Posted by blue lewj View Post
    I understand where you're coming from totally but the team have just had the largest domestic cricket crowd in Wales ever.

Marketing clearly isn't a problem at the moment. As you have rightly pointed out too, this crowd is off the back of some very poor performances.

If the performances stay bad then people will simply not go to games. I'm not sure they'll be thinking "Right, how many Welsh players have we got before I consider still going to games or not". I just don't think it is factored in as much as many would like to think it is in any sport these days.
    I’m not sure where this claim about the biggest domestic attendance cricket ever in Wales comes from, but this game which I can just about remember seems to have had a bigger crowd than Sophia Gardens’ current capacity.

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...201964&f=false

I’m not sure where this claim about the biggest domestic attendance cricket ever in Wales comes from, but this game which I can just about remember seems to have had a bigger crowd than Sophia Gardens’ current capacity.

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...201964&f=false
    That was against Australia. Stretching it a bit to give a crowd for a match against an international team but whatever really.

The main point was that they get a lot more than Glamorgan do for domestic games currently. They do, whether you like it or not, or their lack of Welshness.
    You say the team is bad, fair enough. Adding glamorgan players who are struggling in lesser competitions isn't the answer though. As much as it would put a few thousand on the gate once they heard they were Welsh...

Maybe the crowds are bigger because of all those Somerset and Gloucester fans popping over to support their franchise?
    #facepalmsmiley

Quote Originally Posted by blue lewj View Post
    That was against Australia. Stretching it a bit to give a crowd for a match against an international team but whatever really.

The main point was that they get a lot more than Glamorgan do for domestic games currently. They do, whether you like it or not, or their lack of Welshness.
    You say the team is bad, fair enough. Adding glamorgan players who are struggling in lesser competitions isn't the answer though. As much as it would put a few thousand on the gate once they heard they were Welsh...
    You seem to be taking this personally, do you work for the ECB or Welsh Fire . All I’m saying is that the claim that it was the biggest everWelsh crowd never sounded right to me - that’s not say it wasn’t an impressive attendance and there was another one yesterday, but there weren’t 20,000 at either game and when you see how much football crowds went up in the immediate post war years, I’d say there’s a good chance bigger crowds watched Glamorgan as they closed in on the Championship in 1947.

I have zero interest in the Hundred and franchise cricket in general, but unfortunately it looks like it's the future as that's where the cash is https://www.theguardian.com/sport/bl...rnative-season

You seem to be taking this personally, do you work for the ECB or Welsh Fire . All I’m saying is that the claim that it was the biggest everWelsh crowd never sounded right to me - that’s not say it wasn’t an impressive attendance and there was another one yesterday, but there weren’t 20,000 at either game and when you see how much football crowds went up in the immediate post war years, I’d say there’s a good chance bigger crowds watched Glamorgan as they closed in on the Championship in 1947.
    I'm taking it personally? You replied to a six day old message. What am I taking personally? I just think your point about Welshness would please fans isn't a great one when the team with more Welsh players get a lower crowd.
    The Welshness of the cricket players doesn't seem to matter to many people as it does to you.

Maybe it is the biggest crowd for two domestic teams then. Maybe it isn't. What I do know is that it is a bigger crowd than have watched Glamorgan for many a year.

Those facts don't change however many people grumble.

Re the crowd point- i think we can all agree its much mote than glamorgan get. If we have to go back 70 years to question it for a game v the aussies then it shows how conclusive the recent argument is.

With regards to players. The issue is each team has home superstars allocated but all of ours play for Somerset or Gloucester as its their franchise as much as it is glamorgans. However its a big statement to think the crowds would be even bigger than they are with the odd welshman in.

Finally with regards to getting more welsh players in that would be amazing. However another glamorgan defeat today shows i am not sure who is putting their hands up for that. Despite glammy losing less players to the 100 than everyone else we still struggling.

Finally i always wonder how stable the welsh fire franchise will be. Its always been the most vulnerable with no team for the North east or the west country. The crowds have done their part but the team risks becoming a laughing stock if they do, as expected, now lose all 8 games so i wonder if the ecb will look at moving them- nfl style.

Re the crowd point- i think we can all agree its much mote than glamorgan get. If we have to go back 70 years to question it for a game v the aussies then it shows how conclusive the recent argument is.

With regards to players. The issue is each team has home superstars allocated but all of ours play for Somerset or Gloucester as its their franchise as much as it is glamorgans. However its a big statement to think the crowds would be even bigger than they are with the odd welshman in.

Finally with regards to getting more welsh players in that would be amazing. However another glamorgan defeat today shows i am not sure who is putting their hands up for that. Despite glammy losing less players to the 100 than everyone else we still struggling.

Finally i always wonder how stable the welsh fire franchise will be. Its always been the most vulnerable with no team for the North east or the west country. The crowds have done their part but the team risks becoming a laughing stock if they do, as expected, now lose all 8 games so i wonder if the ecb will look at moving them- nfl style.
    Well,you’re saying on the one hand that there are home players in the team because it’s got players from Somerset and GLoucestershire, but then you say the West Country doesn’t have a team. I do agree with you though that the competition doesn’t need a team as poor as Welsh Fire have been so far (I see the woman’s team lost fairly comfortably yesterday as well) . I’ve just checked and the Welsh Fire’s average crowd last year was the lowest of the eight teams by a distance which suggests that even with this season’s improved attendances, they’re still the team with the poorest support, so I think the franchise could move to another part of the country and the North East looks the most likely area.

Well,you’re saying on the one hand that there are home players in the team because it’s got players from Somerset and GLoucestershire, but then you say the West Country doesn’t have a team. I do agree with you though that the competition doesn’t need a team as poor as Welsh Fire have been so far (I see the woman’s team lost fairly comfortably yesterday as well) . I’ve just checked and the Welsh Fire’s average crowd last year was the lowest of the eight teams by a distance which suggests that even with this season’s improved attendances, they’re still the team with the poorest support, so I think the franchise could move to another part of the country and the North East looks the most likely area.
    Where do Glamorgan crowds rank against other counties?

Welsh Fire's crowds last year were hit by Covid at least a few times. Limited to maybe 3,000 from memory due to Welsh Covid rules being different to England.

I'm not sure it will be moved. With the draft style team picks there could be a completely different team there next year. This system is meant to guard against there being one outlying good/bad team and all games be at least competitive to some degree but for some reason this season on paper and result wise Welsh Fire seems to be well short of the others.

My worry from a Glamorgan perspective would be a clearly bad Welsh Fire team getting much better crowds than the established county team that plays at the same ground.

A typical example of a team totally transforming its performance in the space of one draft style pre season transfer is London Spirit.

They finished bottom last season with 3 points from 8 games.
    They are top this season after 4 games with 8 points.

Also interesting to note is Manchester Originals have, up to this point, performed identically results wise to Welsh Fire.
    3 points last season and 0 this.

Sorry, it was 6 points last season for Fire and Manchester Originals.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    Why has Carlson taken off a spinner and brought Harris back on when our seam attack is being hammered all over the place?
    just read the scorecard v Essex.

reveals that there are some big cracks in the setup.

goodnight Vienna