+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Your working life.

Your working life.

I’ve been working now for 44 yrs, and thinking of either retiring altogether, or semi retiring and getting a part time job.
    I can honestly say in all of those 44 yrs, I’ve never woken up once, and not wanted to go to my work because I didn’t like the job.
    I’ve woken up with stinking hangovers when I was younger, but always managed to struggle through the day.
    Including the job I’m doing now, I’ve had 3 spanning over those 44 yrs.
    Has anyone on here ever had a job that they disliked so much, that they’ve woken up and not wanted to turn in ?

Re: Your working life.

I've had the odd day when I knew the problems that were before me on that particular day but in the main no.

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    I’ve been working now for 44 yrs, and thinking of either retiring altogether, or semi retiring and getting a part time job.
    I can honestly say in all of those 44 yrs, I’ve never woken up once, and not wanted to go to my work because I didn’t like the job.
    I’ve woken up with stinking hangovers when I was younger, but always managed to struggle through the day.
    Has anyone on here ever had a job that they disliked so much, that they’ve woken up and not wanted to turn in ?
    Yes. I once had such an unusual grilling session working in a call centre that I went home and started throwing plates around the kitchen. I went into work the following day and asked for a more relaxing start to get me back into the swing of things. After 20 minutes I was bored stiff and went back to my usual shift.

I had a week in Girlings Car parts plant Cwmbran,it seemed as if time stood still.
    Apart from that it was ok.
    Best job was working in a day centre in the early 70s,great job,crap money,had to leave ,family came along.

I don't mind having to work, contribute etc, but i do everything i can in order to make it work for me, own it as much as i possibly can. So, i charge what i think i am worth to the customer on private work, if they want to haggle then get someone else. I now have a job where i work for someone else, a big organisation. Knowledge is power and being decent at what you do means that the clowns in trousers leave you alone, most of them are as thick as shit anyway,and low level bent, so i do what i like, get the job done and **** off.

I have a policy of not getting involved with people from work, they're not my friends, and most of them would tuck me up if the shit hit the fan. So i don't care if it's Christmas or if someone is retiring, i'm still not coming out Basically, **** work, get in, get out so that you can do the things you want to do with the people who you want to be with. The ***** will get rid of you or blame you if it means that they're safe from the shit. And don't tell people you work with your business. This advice is free to all

“Find a job you enjoy doing, and you will never have to work a day in your life.”

Had some shit jobs in my time. Just kept my he'd down and got on with it, won't get far on the dole.

Happy with what ive achieved and where I've ended up.

Quote Originally Posted by Dembe View Post
    Had some shit jobs in my time. Just kept my he'd down and got on with it, won't get far on the dole.

Happy with what ive achieved and where I've ended up.
    👍

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    I don't mind having to work, contribute etc, but i do everything i can in order to make it work for me, own it as much as i possibly can. So, i charge what i think i am worth to the customer on private work, if they want to haggle then get someone else. I now have a job where i work for someone else, a big organisation. Knowledge is power and being decent at what you do means that the clowns in trousers leave you alone, most of them are as thick as shit anyway,and low level bent, so i do what i like, get the job done and **** off.

I have a policy of not getting involved with people from work, they're not my friends, and most of them would tuck me up if the shit hit the fan. So i don't care if it's Christmas or if someone is retiring, i'm still not coming out Basically, **** work, get in, get out so that you can do the things you want to do with the people who you want to be with. The ***** will get rid of you or blame you if it means that they're safe from the shit. And don't tell people you work with your business. This advice is free to all
    Used to work with a lad who would say "I'm not here to make friends I'm here to make money" he was the biggest wanker I've ever met in my life.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post

😂👍

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    Dont retire - your circle of friends and social life gets smaller. If you can keep on or go part time. I know someone who is 74 - still works most days - works in pharma and loves it. Goes to meetings gives his advice and generally presses the flesh to network his business.

Quote Originally Posted by pipster View Post
    Dont retire - your circle of friends and social life gets smaller. If you can keep on or go part time. I know someone who is 74 - still works most days - works in pharma and loves it. Goes to meetings gives his advice and generally presses the flesh to network his business.
    My uncle is in his 70s Sold his business years ago to retire and now works 5 days a week for other people in the trade, or sometimes picks up other odd jobs. He won't sit in the house, he had a few months of walking etc and got restless and he's back doing full time hours

Quote Originally Posted by Dembe View Post
    Used to work with a lad who would say "I'm not here to make friends I'm here to make money" he was the biggest wanker I've ever met in my life.
    It may have been me