+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: GLAMMY

Re: GLAMMY

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Well,you’re saying on the one hand that there are home players in the team because it’s got players from Somerset and GLoucestershire, but then you say the West Country doesn’t have a team. I do agree with you though that the competition doesn’t need a team as poor as Welsh Fire have been so far (I see the woman’s team lost fairly comfortably yesterday as well) . I’ve just checked and the Welsh Fire’s average crowd last year was the lowest of the eight teams by a distance which suggests that even with this season’s improved attendances, they’re still the team with the poorest support, so I think the franchise could move to another part of the country and the North East looks the most likely area.
    Bob have you really forgotten covid restrictions last year in wales which were much harsher than the English ones?

Ridiculously unfair to compare crowds in England with no restrictions to the welsh ones which apart from the last game had a capacity of about 3k!

Re home players im saying you are asking for more welsh glamorgan players. The bottom line is they arent good enough or they'd be there. Its not like they havent been picked deliberately they just aren't good enough. So the team only selected 'home' players from Somerset and Gloucester. If they did select players for commercial reasons as you seem to be suggesting then i am sure some on here would use that as evidence (and rightly so) to further ridicule the tournament.

Every Welsh Fire game has either been a sell-out, or 10k+. A quick look at Glamorgan's pre-covid financial statements show £0.6m revenue from membership fees & ticket sales per annum... the Welsh Fire will exceed this in just four games.

I'm a Glamorgan supporter, but since I live down the road from Sophia Gardens, I've been to every Welsh Fire game as well. Regardless of the fact that the Welsh Fire have the worst cricketing managing team of any franchise (and the performance reflects as such) the crowds are enjoying the games - smiles all round when leaving the ground, and mainly children. It'll be interesting to see to what extent performances actually impacts crowd-levels. We'll see next week given there's a game on both the Monday and the Friday evening.

We have to accept that there aren't many avid cricketing fans in Wales. Most people will settle for seeing just a handful of games every season. The problem for Glamorgan is that those people can now get their fix from the Welsh Fire.

Pains me to say it, but I think Welsh Fire is here to stay and there should be more concern around Glamorgan's future. A handful of people watching Glamorgan games on the streams and then discussing it on a football message board does not pay the bills.

Quote Originally Posted by blue lewj View Post
    Where do Glamorgan crowds rank against other counties?

Welsh Fire's crowds last year were hit by Covid at least a few times. Limited to maybe 3,000 from memory due to Welsh Covid rules being different to England.

I'm not sure it will be moved. With the draft style team picks there could be a completely different team there next year. This system is meant to guard against there being one outlying good/bad team and all games be at least competitive to some degree but for some reason this season on paper and result wise Welsh Fire seems to be well short of the others.

My worry from a Glamorgan perspective would be a clearly bad Welsh Fire team getting much better crowds than the established county team that plays at the same ground.
    I’ve not seen how many members Glamorgan have these days, but, traditionally, they are towards the bottom of any table of members/spectators with only counties like Derbyshire, Leicestershire and Northamptonshire tending to be below them.

That’s one of the things that frustrate me about Welsh Fire. Although it might not sound like it on here and I was one of those who was very anti Hundred before the tournament started, I found I quite enjoyed it once I watched a few games and the truth is, you put the word “Welsh” in the name of a sporting team and I’ll always want them to win. So, it’s annoying that a system that is designed to provide as level a playing field as possible still ends up with a situation where the Welsh team is, in my eyes, clearly the weakest of the eight on paper.

I watched that interview with Mark Wallace that was posted on here about the Welsh Fire signings for this season and it was put to him that Joe Clarke was a “left field” choice as what I’ll call their number one draft pick. Wallace’s answer was along the same lines that made think that he may be a bit of an inspired choice, but it’s not worked so far and it looks worse because the whole team is having a batting crisis of confidence. Of course seeing so little of Johnny Bairstow in the last two seasons has not helped the Welsh Fire cause, but this feels like those years we get sometimes when Glamorgan are clearly the weakest team out of the eighteen.

Quote Originally Posted by Father Dougal View Post
    Bob have you really forgotten covid restrictions last year in wales which were much harsher than the English ones?

Ridiculously unfair to compare crowds in England with no restrictions to the welsh ones which apart from the last game had a capacity of about 3k!

Re home players im saying you are asking for more welsh glamorgan players. The bottom line is they arent good enough or they'd be there. Its not like they havent been picked deliberately they just aren't good enough. So the team only selected 'home' players from Somerset and Gloucester. If they did select players for commercial reasons as you seem to be suggesting then i am sure some on here would use that as evidence (and rightly so) to further ridicule the tournament.
    Yes, 2020 and 2021 is something of a blur to me because what was going on with Covid, so I did forget about crowd restrictions in Wales, but the Hundred ran from 21 July to 21 August I think it was last year and crowds were allowed back at City in early August for the start of the Championship season, I assume it was the same with cricket.

The 2022 Wisden carries the following details of Welsh Fire crowds in 2021, the total attendance for their four matches was 22,280 with their smallest gate being 3,021 and their largest 9,261 which rather sounds like they had two games of restricted crowds and two of unrestricted ones. By way of comparison, the men’s Champions, Southern Braves were the only other team to have at least one attendance of below five figures with their smallest crowd being 9,204. Sixth in the average crowd table were the Northern Superchargers with 11,475 compared to the Southern Braves’ 10,786, so there’s a chance the Welsh Fire may be able to better those figures if the sort of crowds seen in their first two home matches are maintained - I still don’t think they’ll be maintained in the medium to long term without an improvement in results for one or both of the teams.

Certain points need to be made here. The Hundred has received far more promotion than T20 blast has ever received. The Hundred benefits from BBC coverage. The Hundred benefits from each franchise having far more money to buy players than counties like Glamorgan will ever have. So we are not talking of a level playing field here.

There was never any need for the Hundred. The ECB could have provided the promotion and funding to the counties for T20 instead. I’m sure the BBC could also have become involved especially as SKY only provide live coverage of a small percentage of the games.

Yes, 2020 and 2021 is something of a blur to me because what was going on with Covid, so I did forget about crowd restrictions in Wales, but the Hundred ran from 21 July to 21 August I think it was last year and crowds were allowed back at City in early August for the start of the Championship season, I assume it was the same with cricket.

The 2022 Wisden carries the following details of Welsh Fire crowds in 2021, the total attendance for their four matches was 22,280 with their smallest gate being 3,021 and their largest 9,261 which rather sounds like they had two games of restricted crowds and two of unrestricted ones. By way of comparison, the men’s Champions, Southern Braves were the only other team to have at least one attendance of below five figures with their smallest crowd being 9,204. Sixth in the average crowd table were the Northern Superchargers with 11,475 compared to the Southern Braves’ 10,786, so there’s a chance the Welsh Fire may be able to better those figures if the sort of crowds seen in their first two home matches are maintained - I still don’t think they’ll be maintained in the medium to long term without an improvement in results for one or both of the teams.
    All four Welsh Fire home games last year were subject to some level of restriction. All four were sell-outs.

Welsh Fire’s women going all around the park in their bottom of the table clash with Manchester.

I get a feeling you're not a fan.

I get a feeling you're not a fan.
    No, I said in an earlier post that you stick the word Welsh in front of a team and, despite my misgivings in this case, I’ll always want them to win. They’ve made a good start here chasing a big target, they’re a bit behind the rate, but not out of it by any means.

I'm just trying to work out what on earth Darren Sammy is on about in his commentary.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    I'm just trying to work out what on earth Darren Sammy is on about in his commentary.
    Yes, he lost me. Another loss for the franchise, seems like they’ve only got three power hitters.

It's been bad up to this stage but this is particularly bad.

Could be game over very soon the way Fire have been batting in previous games.

Dragged themselves back into it.

Dragged themselves back into it.
    54 for 6 ...woeful

Quote Originally Posted by billy.ronson View Post
    54 for 6 ...woeful
    Yeah

If next year's team resembles anything as bad as the squad assembled here then questions need asking.

They'll probably pick Bairstow again...

Played six, lost six then with the men halfway through their programme and the women a third of the way through (they only play six games). Must say that, on the evidence so far. the women's prospects of coming up with that elusive first win are better than the men's - I've been very critical of the men's team, but, you look at that batting line up on paper and they really aren't anywhere near as bad as their woeful record this season suggests they are.

One other thing, I believe that was Zampa's last game for the season and he's been the best bowler for the Welsh Fire by a distance.

One other thing, I believe that was Zampa's last game for the season and he's been the best bowler for the Welsh Fire by a distance.
    That’s a shame, he was one of the best WF players yesterday. The team is such a mess with some woeful batting performances.

Must win today at Neath in the one day cup, although I have low hopes, and unfortunately we’re already two wickets down. Looks like a good toss to have won for Lancashire. I was hoping to get down Friday with some of the family to cross off an out ground but likely transport disruption has made me think again.

Quote Originally Posted by Kind of Blue View Post
    That’s a shame, he was one of the best WF players yesterday. The team is such a mess with some woeful batting performances.

Must win today at Neath in the one day cup, although I have low hopes, and unfortunately we’re already two wickets down. Looks like a good toss to have won for Lancashire. I was hoping to get down Friday with some of the family to cross off an out ground but likely transport disruption has made me think again.
    The forecast’s pretty good for Friday and it’s not too bad a ground to reach. I’ve been a couple of times and it’s quite a nice place to visit - Neath’s easy to reach from up here at the top of the Rhondda valley (much easier than Cardiff) and, from memory, Cardiff to the Gnoll is not too bad.

Getting another right hammering today!

Good story about two stalwarts of the county game who should have played for England, but never did - watching Glamorgan in the fifty over stuff lately, I’d think of giving Stevens a one year white ball contract.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...t-it-is-losing

Hants 99-5 , winning the toss and bowling first seems to be a big factor in these games!

Quote Originally Posted by Don Corleone View Post
    Hants 99-5 , winning the toss and bowling first seems to be a big factor in these games!
    Hampshire have an amazing record though, they’ve won something like seventeen out of their last nineteen matches - it would be some achievement for Glamorgan to win this, but 200 will probably be too much for them to chase.

Tom Bevan has scored a maiden hundred for Glamorgan’s first team off 88 balls with ten fours and six sixes. My doubts about them scoring 200 are looking idiotic 167-1 in the twenty sixth over chasing 229.

Bevan smacking it all to all corners at the moment. Fantastic knock. All in vain, campaign wise, but a very good performance against a half tidy side in Hampshire.