+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: GLAMMY

Re: GLAMMY

That’s an excellent win. Joe Cooke had a.very good all round game.

Welsh Fire won last night in a tremendous game. Glammy won today in a longer game. Enjoyed both - why not??

Brilliant result. Good to see us playing confident and aggressive cricket

Roman Walker leaves with immediate effect. What's going on with Glamorgan !!

Quote Originally Posted by chrisp_1927 View Post
    Roman Walker leaves with immediate effect. What's going on with Glamorgan !!
    To Leicester on loan then permanent
    His decision as he thinks he'll get more opportunities over all formats

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Blue View Post
    Welsh Fire won last night in a tremendous game. Glammy won today in a longer game. Enjoyed both - why not??
    Going along tomorrow and thoroughly looking forward to it - though typically there're showers forecast. Bought tickets last year for tomorrow and 6th August. Sold out (though only 2000 allowed tomorrow I think). After what we've been through over the last year I'm a glass half full guy from now on. Life's for living.

Roman Walker has left the club to join Leicestershire citing he wants opportunities across all three formats. This was totally avoidable. Weighell was signed when there was no need and now Walker has gone. Simply not good enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    Roman Walker has left the club to join Leicestershire citing he wants opportunities across all three formats. This was totally avoidable. Weighell was signed when there was no need and now Walker has gone. Simply not good enough.
    He's been so good this year when he has had the opportunity. It just seems like there's a self destruct button at sophia Gardens. So frustrating. The character him and carey showed to bring us home last week was brilliant. The club have let him down big time

Weighell was signed when there was no need and now Walker has gone. Simply not good enough.
    Agreed. Disappointing news after a couple of fine wins in the one day game.

I've watched a few of the Hundred games and they've all been exciting and free to watch.

Crowds seem to have bought into it and looks cracking. Not sure why there's the dislike.

that's disappointing and an example of the shambolic management again

Really disappointing news about Roman Walker and, as someone who is a Maynard fan, I think he's messed up in this case. Given some of the awful seasons we've had in recent years, it's amazing to think Walker never played a four day game for us - a part of me thought Walker owed us some loyalty when I learned he was leaving, but I can entirely understand him thinking he's been handled poorly by Glamorgan.

I don't think anyone expected Walker to be in the four day team at the start of the season, but Pearcey is right to mention the pointless signing of Weighell just as the season was starting - he's been a pretty regular member of the team so far this season and has done nothing to change the opinion I formed of him after a game or two that he offers us more with his occasionally ferocious hitting than he does with his wayward and very expensive bowling.

Walker was our best bowler in the T20 and there was a chance to give him his four day debut in the two matches played earlier this month against Sussex and Northants. Instead Weighell was in again against Sussex with pretty typical match figures of eleven overs, one for fifty seven (three overs for twenty five in the second innings strongly suggest that Chris Cooke had lost faith in him by then). Hardly surprisingly, Weighell was dropped against Northants, but Walker still didn't get his chance and now Glamorgan have paid the price for that.

I've got to ask as well, was James Harris signed because they knew Walker was leaving? If that wasn't the case, then you have to wonder what sort of signal that sends out to younger players at the club - young players have to earn their place in any team, but the signs were that Walker was doing that this season, the club have blundered by ensuring that we'll never get to know if he could have done the same for the four day side as he did for the T20 one.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Paget Flashman View Post
    I've watched a few of the Hundred games and they've all been exciting and free to watch.

Crowds seem to have bought into it and looks cracking. Not sure why there's the dislike.
    My dislike is the messing with format, scrapping overs, 100 ball, 5 ball set rubbish etc. I can't see any reason why all the positives you mention couldn't have been achieved with t20, in exactly the same way as has happened in other countries

My dislike is the messing with format, scrapping overs, 100 ball, 5 ball set rubbish etc. I can't see any reason why all the positives you mention couldn't have been achieved with t20, in exactly the same way as has happened in other countries
    There was outrage when coloured kit was introduced in the one-day game - pajama cricket it was referred to. The game has to change. Cricket is in big trouble otherwise. We may not like it but we do have to support it if the game's counties like Glamorgan are going to survive.

The season before lockdown, Glamorgan closed the club shop. As if that wasn't bad enough, they didn't have any of the new Blast tops until half of the matches had been played and they were tucked into a dark corner of the gutted old shop. I went to all but the last of the T20s and they were awful/stale. Didn't help that we were crap but none of the kids going to the early matches could buy any merchandise. This stuff is important. At the World Cup matches at Sophia Gardens it was buzzing (and not just the England match). I hope the 100 can get the families back in the ground and not the drunks.

If the 100 helps the other formats survive then that's a win in my book.

Can't wait for the inevitable 0.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    There was outrage when coloured kit was introduced in the one-day game - pajama cricket it was referred to. The game has to change. Cricket is in big trouble otherwise. We may not like it but we do have to support it if the game's counties like Glamorgan are going to survive.

The season before lockdown, Glamorgan closed the club shop. As if that wasn't bad enough, they didn't have any of the new Blast tops until half of the matches had been played and they were tucked into a dark corner of the gutted old shop. I went to all but the last of the T20s and they were awful/stale. Didn't help that we were crap but none of the kids going to the early matches could buy any merchandise. This stuff is important. At the World Cup matches at Sophia Gardens it was buzzing (and not just the England match). I hope the 100 can get the families back in the ground and not the drunks.

If the 100 helps the other formats survive then that's a win in my book.
    Couldn't disagree more in terms of the 100. All the things you have mentioned could have been achieved with the t20 format. In fact they have been achieved with the t20 format in most other cricket playing countries. We mismanaged the t20 format massively in the UK, it needed fixing I agree, but fail to understand why the 100 ball format should have anything to do with it

I can see both arguments in relation to The Hundred.
    Yes, with the investment and marketing aimed at the Hundred they could have pushed the T20 game onto the next level in this country but then you have to have faith in your Glamorgan's of this world to put together a competitive squad. I'm being kind in saying they couldn't organise a pi$$ up in a brewery at the moment and Glamorgan need big change and a new direction. The likes of Walker going should sound alarm bells as they are reacting to the opportunities they are getting and the way the club is run.

I think a few aspects of the Hundred are done well. The draft system being one. You at least come away from that thinking you've got a competitive team on paper.
    Glamorgan's performance in the T20 this term has been nothing short of woeful. The Hundred will breathe some much needed life into cricket at Sophia Gardens.
    It's just a shame old Mark Dripford has seen that the crowds are reduced to 2,000. While having 8,000 at City (a tighter, more covered ground. It's ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by blue lewj View Post
    I can see both arguments in relation to The Hundred.
    Yes, with the investment and marketing aimed at the Hundred they could have pushed the T20 game onto the next level in this country but then you have to have faith in your Glamorgan's of this world to put together a competitive squad. I'm being kind in saying they couldn't organise a pi$$ up in a brewery at the moment and Glamorgan need big change and a new direction. The likes of Walker going should sound alarm bells as they are reacting to the opportunities they are getting and the way the club is run.

I think a few aspects of the Hundred are done well. The draft system being one. You at least come away from that thinking you've got a competitive team on paper.
    Glamorgan's performance in the T20 this term has been nothing short of woeful. The Hundred will breathe some much needed life into cricket at Sophia Gardens.
    It's just a shame old Mark Dripford has seen that the crowds are reduced to 2,000. While having 8,000 at City (a tighter, more covered ground. It's ridiculous.
    Totally agree re the franchise system. Its not always been something I like the idea of. But looking around the world it seems to be very much the way that works. It's pretty much an integral part of launching a new competition. It's a shame that we've been so late to the party in getting this kind of competition going, the big bash is 8 or 9 years old now and we are only just learning the lessons

Totally agree re the franchise system. Its not always been something I like the idea of. But looking around the world it seems to be very much the way that works. It's pretty much an integral part of launching a new competition. It's a shame that we've been so late to the party in getting this kind of competition going, the big bash is 8 or 9 years old now and we are only just learning the lessons
    I just like that we have something to cheer in The Hundred where as I was watching the T20 games more out of habit than anything else.

The Hundred win at Headingly gave me more joy and excitement than the last couple of seasons of Glamorgan T20 games. The main reason for that being we've been crap though. Success and a buzz in the fanbase goes hand in hand though.

Couldn't disagree more in terms of the 100. All the things you have mentioned could have been achieved with the t20 format. In fact they have been achieved with the t20 format in most other cricket playing countries. We mismanaged the t20 format massively in the UK, it needed fixing I agree, but fail to understand why the 100 ball format should have anything to do with it
    Fair enough. We'll agree to disagree.

There's so much wrong with cricket in this country though and it's not the 100 we should be worrying about. At least everyone can watch it for free. That's a good thing, isn't it?

Let's be honest here, county cricket would have died years ago without being propped up. I love/ed County Cricket but not at Sophia Gardens in an empty stadium. At Newport a couple of years ago it was a joy to watch at a smaller ground. And we have to remember that other countries' cricket enthusiasm is much greater than ours. We're stuck behind a paywall watching (and even worse listening to) p*ssed up England Stag Parties' dressed as Batman & Robin forcing Mexican Waves on people who just want to actually, you know, watch the game. I can't abide Sky's coverage anymore and have stopped watching on TV too.

But hey, I'm actually, going today with my wife and looking forward to it - something I haven't felt in a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    Fair enough. We'll agree to disagree.

There's so much wrong with cricket in this country though and it's not the 100 we should be worrying about. At least everyone can watch it for free. That's a good thing, isn't it?

Let's be honest here, county cricket would have died years ago without being propped up. I love/ed County Cricket but not at Sophia Gardens in an empty stadium. At Newport a couple of years ago it was a joy to watch at a smaller ground. And we have to remember that other countries' cricket enthusiasm is much greater than ours. We're stuck behind a paywall watching (and even worse listening to) p*ssed up England Stag Parties' dressed as Batman & Robin forcing Mexican Waves on people who just want to actually, you know, watch the game. I can't abide Sky's coverage anymore and have stopped watching on TV too.

But hey, I'm actually, going today with my wife and looking forward to it - something I haven't felt in a long time.
    Of course people watching it for free is a good thing. My point is entirely around p*ssing about with the 100 ball crap. The rest of the stuff is long overdue, it should have been implemented as soon as the aussies showed the formula with the big bash. But none of the good stuff , wether that be free to air, cheap family tickets etc is or should be dependent on 5 and 10 ball sets, it was entirely possible to do as the rest of the cricket playing world has done and launch a franchise t20 comp aimed at the family market

I’m enjoying the 100 a lot more than I thought I would because there’s been a few good cricket games so far and you could have all the gimmicks you like, but if the product’s no good, you’ve got no chance. That said, although I quite enjoy seeing spinners in the ascendancy, the type of pitches provided at Old Trafford on Sunday and Trent Bridge yesterday are, I’m sure, not what the marketing personnel had in mind when the tournament was devised and, if Cardiff goes true to form, it’ll be another pitch where the batsmen will struggle to get value for their shots today. People want to see plenty of sixes and I doubt it if there were ten in the four matches played at Manchester and Nottingham between them.

The women not doing too well today. Agree this won’t be a scoring wicket.

Ladbrokes offering 4/1 on Bairstow to score a 5 cracking price

Ladbrokes offering 4/1 on Bairstow to score a 5 cracking price
    Not many is it?

Like printing money