+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: GLAMMY

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: GLAMMY

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Nice to see Kieran Carlson’s good season recognised as one of five county players of the season, with Matt Critchley, who’s been strongly linked with Glamorgan, also featuring;-

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/99...rs-of-the-year

In other Glamorgan news, Nick Selman has left the club;-

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/58712402
    That’s a nice article. Critchley would be a good signing.
    Selman is a shame. He would have been worth another contract but for the one day stuff only.

Glamorgan sign Sam Northeast on a 3 year deal

https://glamorgancricket.com/news/sa...hree-year-deal

Good signing that

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    Good signing that
    Agreed

So we're back in the 2nd Div next season. Pity I quite liked the conference format.

County Championship: Two-division structure to return from 2022 season - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/58913832

Glamorgan definitely seem to be trying to sort out what has been a long term batting problem and if what I’ve been told about Matt Critchley coming here is correct, we would actually begin to look strong in this area if Labuschagne plays a fair portion of next season for us.

I’d been told we were trying to sign Northeast and was dismissive thinking we had no chance of getting him, so well done to all involved.

Glamorgan definitely seem to be trying to sort out what has been a long term batting problem and if what I’ve been told about Matt Critchley coming here is correct, we would actually begin to look strong in this area if Labuschagne plays a fair portion of next season for us.

I’d been told we were trying to sign Northeast and was dismissive thinking we had no chance of getting him, so well done to all involved.
    I see Critchley went to Essex

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood Blues View Post
    I see Critchley went to Essex
    Yeah on a three year deal, we were always going to lose out in the face of an offer like that - I’ve no proof of this, but I wonder if we wouldn’t have got Northeast if we’d signed Critchley?

Quote Originally Posted by Madassa View Post
    So we're back in the 2nd Div next season. Pity I quite liked the conference format.

County Championship: Two-division structure to return from 2022 season - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/58913832
    That’s a shame, with a few tweaks I was hoping the structure would stick around.

Just turned on the under 19s cricket World Cup and I see Glamorgan’s young wicketkeeperAlex Horton has had 6 dismissals in their first game against Bangladesh.
    I played in a club game against him when he was probably only 12 years old and I have never seen anyone that young look so good. Hopefully there is a massive future ahead of him

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Shot Hamish. View Post
    Just turned on the under 19s cricket World Cup and I see Glamorgan’s young wicketkeeperAlex Horton has had 6 dismissals in their first game against Bangladesh.
    I played in a club game against him when he was probably only 12 years old and I have never seen anyone that young look so good. Hopefully there is a massive future ahead of him
    Let’s hope so.

Some interesting thoughts on county cricket from Aggers here. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/60016410

Quote Originally Posted by Undercoverinwurzelland View Post
    Some interesting thoughts on county cricket from Aggers here. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/60016410
    His idea would mean the continuation of a Cardiff/Glamorgan side, but spell the end for Gloucestershire and Somerset in terms of the sort of status they have now, counties are never going to accept that sort of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Undercoverinwurzelland View Post
    Bit of a daft idea from aggers in my opinion, all that does is rip all the history away and drive a wedge between cricket and its supporters. With no guarantee of a good result.

I'd personally rather see a mid season tournament between 2 or 4 representative teams made up of the best players that season. Make them 5 day matches on test standard pitches.

While the County game does have problems, I think it's also a bit rich to blame all the test teams problems on the counties. Lots of players who failed in that England ashes side had good starts to their international careers. They have then failed to improve or gone downhill rapidly. That suggests to me that the England coaches and analysts aren't doing a particularly great job.

The English/welsh County game seemed to do ok for the career development of Marnus Labushagne and Travis Head 🤣

counties are never going to accept that sort of thing.
    Definitely

Quote Originally Posted by chrisp_1927 View Post
    The English/welsh County game seemed to do ok for the career development of Marnus Labushagne and Travis Head 🤣
    That's a point!

Glamorgan’s fixtures for the 2022 season, no four day games during August again - it’s no wonder England are so weak in test match cricket when it comes to spin bowling.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/...xtures/2022-09

You've posted a link to a written article but with no comment and I wondered if you have you an opinion on any of it Bob?

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    You've posted a link to a written article but with no comment and I wondered if you have you an opinion on any of it Bob?
    Not really, Glamorgan, like so many other counties, don’t seem to have had many black home produced players down the years - there haven’t been many at all following in the footsteps of someone like Tony Cordle have there.

Not really, Glamorgan, like so many other counties, don’t seem to have had many black home produced players down the years - there haven’t been many at all following in the footsteps of someone like Tony Cordle have there.
    No you are right, it doesnt look great and although we had some top cricketers of colour play for us down the years, home grown very few.

Mr Williams says..
    "In 2020, former Glamorgan cricketer Mohsin Arif said in a Telegraph article that there had been preferential treatment for white players at the county"
    The problem I have with this is that preferential treatment goes on all the time, whether in sport or any workplace.
    Why does it have to be linked to racism?

It is also mentioned in the article that the Cardiff midweek league contained many Asian players but none "made it" so to speak.
    I played a few games in that league myself and there were plenty of white talented cricketers who too were never "spotted".
    I would agree though that the vast percentage of cricketers in Cardiff's leagues are Asian.
    You see them playing in the streets and in Pontcanna fields all year round.

I would say that cricket was, and still is to a certain extent an elitist sport. It strikes me as a bit of a closed shop at the top level and if there were a bunch of talented youngsters on the shortlist, chances are the public school kid or the chairman's business partner's boy or the nephew of a former England player would get the nod.

To me, that's life.

It would be interesting to hear say Ravi Shastri's or Waqar Younis's view on their experience of possible racism during their time at the club or even Javed Miandad's.
    I'm sure if the latter was a victim of racism he'd have sorted it out himself

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    No you are right, it doesnt look great and although we had some top cricketers of colour play for us down the years, home grown very few.

Mr Williams says..
    "In 2020, former Glamorgan cricketer Mohsin Arif said in a Telegraph article that there had been preferential treatment for white players at the county"
    The problem I have with this is that preferential treatment goes on all the time, whether in sport or any workplace.
    Why does it have to be linked to racism?

It is also mentioned in the article that the Cardiff midweek league contained many Asian players but none "made it" so to speak.
    I played a few games in that league myself and there were plenty of white talented cricketers who too were never "spotted".
    I would agree though that the vast percentage of cricketers in Cardiff's leagues are Asian.
    You see them playing in the streets and in Pontcanna fields all year round.

I would say that cricket was, and still is to a certain extent an elitist sport. It strikes me as a bit of a closed shop at the top level and if there were a bunch of talented youngsters on the shortlist, chances are the public school kid or the chairman's business partner's boy or the nephew of a former England player would get the nod.

To me, that's life.

It would be interesting to hear say Ravi Shastri's or Waqar Younis's view on their experience of possible racism during their time at the club or even Javed Miandad's.
    I'm sure if the latter was a victim of racism he'd have sorted it out himself
    I played a few games in the midweek league as well in the seventies. They were ahead of their time in that they were twenty over games, so you had to get on with it when it came to batting. I kidded myself I was a decent player of spin bowling when I was a kid, but that opinion changed when we played a team of Asian youngsters at Blackweir one evening. I came in at about number seven with us having early wickets , but our best batsman was still there and I stayed with him as we put on about fifty.

However, my contribution to the partnership was very small as i ended up facing two or three overs from someone who seemed to me to be about fifteen. He may have been young, but he was the first "proper" spin bowler I'd ever faced (all the others has just been slow bowlers) - he was quicker through the air than many of the so called quick bowlers I'd faced up to then, landed the ball on a sixpence and was actually turning it consistently, I'd never faced anything like it in my life before or since. From memory, I played out a couple of maidens and was quite pleased to have kept him out, any attacking shot was beyond me though as I proved when I finally lost patience and played a daft cut shot that got me out.

I've long forgotten the young boy's name now, but I sought it out after the game because I thought I'd be hearing it again as he made his way into first class cricket, but it never happened - the Asian lads murdered us and had a couple of talented batsmen as well, but they never went any further. Maybe, they didn't want to or they figured it wasn't worth trying because, back then, any players of Asian or Caribbean heritage in the first class game tended to be from overseas.

The team I played for had some good players, but three or four of that Asian side we played were another level up again. I'm sure that's a story which can be repeated all over the country down the years and yet barely any England qualified players with an Asian background emerged until we saw the likes of Owais Shah, Adil Rashid and Moeen Ali coming through, so you have to think that racism, whether intentional or not, played some part in that.

About five years ago, maybe a bit longer, Hugh Morris was asked to name one youngster they had coming through at Glamorgan who would make it in the first class game - he chose an Asian leg spinner who he said had tremendous ability. From memory, he was fourteen at the time and so I kept an eye open for a mention of this boy playing in our second team. I never saw anything though and mentioned what Hugh Morris had said to a mate of mine who watches a lot of second team cricket. At first, he thought I must have got it wrong, but then he remembered a youngster who he'd seen in a game some years earlier who quite impressed him, but he never saw him play again. Was he really as good as Hugh Morris thought he was I wonder, but, whether he was or not, I think cricket is still a game where the British non white player has a harder job to break through than a white one.

WNC Membership 2022.jpg

Over the years during cricket chats, it often comes up why don't we support Wales in cricket, for £20 for the year you can do just that.

For anyone wanting to watch some pre season Glamorgan cricket, there’s some very basic coverage of their warm up match at Gloucestershire here;-

https://glamorgancricket.com/news/gl...eam-and-report

There’s no commentary and I can’t read the scoreboard on my tablet, so I’ve no idea how Gloucestershire are doing, but I do know Glamorgan scored 329-6 yesterday. This follows on from a win over Somerset in their first friendly which owed much to a very generous declaration.

One other thing, I can’t be sure because of not great stream, but it looks like the Glamorgan wicketkeeper and slips are wearing bobble hats .