+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: GLAMMY

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: GLAMMY

Middlesex could be on their way to a win at Sussex.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Middlesex could be on their way to a win at Sussex.
    Is this intended to produce a wobble in their run chase?

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Is this intended to produce a wobble in their run chase?
    If it was, it isn’t working.

I’m sure there must be someone or something that Priti Patel is deeply compassionate and caring about.

I just want to thank ToBW for his fine prediction although would also like to point out he referred to Priti Patel as “deeply compassionate and caring”. Just sayin.

Yep a thumping win for Middlesex. They have made a strong start to the season. Is it three up these days or just two?

I thought it was just one

Quote Originally Posted by fugsyphil View Post
    I thought it was just one

It used to be 3 but Paul has just confirmed its only 2 these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    Yep a thumping win for Middlesex. They have made a strong start to the season. Is it three up these days or just two?
    Just the two. Although we beat them pretty comfortably, I think Notts will be one of the two and Middlesex’s bowling looks very good to me, not totally convinced by the batting, but wins like today will give them a lot of confidence.

Just the two. Although we beat them pretty comfortably, I think Notts will be one of the two and Middlesex’s bowling looks very good to me, not totally convinced by the batting, but wins like today will give them a lot of confidence.
    Yep apart from losing to us Notts look very strong. Shame it’s only two up. No need for a 10/8 Split in the divisions either.

Graham Thorpe, only fifty two and currently coach of Afghanistan, “seriously ill” with no prognosis for his condition. Hope he pulls through, he was England’s best batsman of the nineties in my opinion.

Graham Thorpe, only fifty two and currently coach of Afghanistan, “seriously ill” with no prognosis for his condition. Hope he pulls through, he was England’s best batsman of the nineties in my opinion.
    yes quality batsman, I remember him scoring a century I think for England with only one boundary

Yes. I remember Thorpe's application as an England opener at the time meant he was a shoe in for selection.

Nice nature about him too.

Hope he pulls through.

One report suggested that he had had a fall, but that would suggest injury not illness?

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    One report suggested that he had had a fall, but that would suggest injury not illness?
    I’ve read it as fallen ill, rather than a fall.

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Shot Hamish. View Post
    I’ve read it as fallen ill, rather than a fall.
    Yes, that’s what I took it to be.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Yes. I remember Thorpe's application as an England opener at the time meant he was a shoe in for selection.

Nice nature about him too.

Hope he pulls through.
    Don't think he ever opened?

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    It used to be 3 but Paul has just confirmed its only 2 these days.
    Yeah my mistake I knew it was one less but for some reason I thought that went from 2 to 1 not 3 to 2

Quote Originally Posted by Father Dougal View Post
    Don't think he ever opened?
    You are right Father, my mistake. I'm not sure why I thought he opened!

My memory is wavering somewhat but thinking about him now, I do seem to remember him getting England out of all kinds of bother in his career.
    Didn't England try him in a number of positions further up the batting during their many struggles?

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    You are right Father, my mistake. I'm not sure why I thought he opened!

My memory is wavering somewhat but thinking about him now, I do seem to remember him getting England out of all kinds of bother in his career.
    Didn't England try him in a number of positions further up the batting during their many struggles?
    England chopped and changed their batting order all of the time back then. It usually depended on where they wanted to play Alec Stewart, which was anywhere from 1 to 7. Players like Hussain, Hick, Butcher and Thorpe just fitted around them. I don't think Thorpe would bat at 3 though - he was more 4 5 or 6 I think.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    England chopped and changed their batting order all of the time back then. It usually depended on where they wanted to play Alec Stewart, which was anywhere from 1 to 7. Players like Hussain, Hick, Butcher and Thorpe just fitted around them. I don't think Thorpe would bat at 3 though - he was more 4 5 or 6 I think.
    Yep correct. Terrific battler of a player in an incredibly tough era of fast and spin bowling.

Glamorgan seconds are 377-1 against Worcester with the only wicket to fall being Joe Cooke for 135, Billy Root 175 not out and Colin Ingram is forty odd not out. Bit surprised Ed Byrom hasn’t batted yet - Billy Root the next player to have a go at opening for the first team?

Glamorgan seconds are 377-1 against Worcester with the only wicket to fall being Joe Cooke for 135, Billy Root 175 not out and Colin Ingram is forty odd not out. Bit surprised Ed Byrom hasn’t batted yet - Billy Root the next player to have a go at opening for the first team?
    thats a good call root opening worth a try

I would prefer Joe Cooke is given a chance. He is a useful bowler too. Root has had a lot of chances and apart from the occasional innings has been below par.

I think I'm in a minority of 1, judging by this forum and Facebook. But I actually don't mind Salter opening. He's worth his place in the team for his bowling, and he's facing an average of 32 balls per innings. OK, his average is rubbish at present, but when I look at some of the early collapses we've endured over the years I don't mind him being there. If he wasn't bowling well I'd be a lot more receptive to looking at his place as opener.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisp_1927 View Post
    I think I'm in a minority of 1, judging by this forum and Facebook. But I actually don't mind Salter opening. He's worth his place in the team for his bowling, and he's facing an average of 32 balls per innings. OK, his average is rubbish at present, but when I look at some of the early collapses we've endured over the years I don't mind him being there. If he wasn't bowling well I'd be a lot more receptive to looking at his place as opener.
    Salts is a decent bowler in the shorter form of the game but in first class cricket his bowling average at just below 48 is pretty poor. I know he got a good haul of wickets in one innings this season but in the main he does very little in the longer form of the game with the ball. Batting wise his average is around 24 which is fine if he were coming in at 8 but nowhere near up to it as an opener. I think his batting average is around 13 this season.