+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: GLAMMY

Re: GLAMMY

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood Blues View Post
    On the other hand........... 72-0 6.5 overs!!!

Polar opposite from yesterday
    Yep this looks too comfortable for Somerset.

Why bring Douthwaite back on when he went for 20 in his first over? Bring on Labuschagne or go for broke and bring back Hogan or Neser. No point holding back your best bowlers when the game is close to being lost.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    Why bring Douthwaite back on when he went for 20 in his first over? Bring on Labuschagne or go for broke and bring back Hogan or Neser. No point holding back your best bowlers when the game is close to being lost.
    Douthwaite gives away a free hit with a brainless bouncer no-ball, and then drops the ball short so it's another 6! All these boundaries are square of the wicket. It's pathetic. 38 conceded off 2 overs.

Quote Originally Posted by rich munn View Post
    Douthwaite gives away a free hit with a brainless bouncer no-ball, and then drops the ball short so it's another 6! All these boundaries are square of the wicket. It's pathetic. 38 conceded off 2 overs.
    This is painful. Given up watching after Hogan went for 14 off his last three.
    We don’t seem able to bat first very well. Three defeats all from batting first but we have won both games batting second.
    Really disappointed in Labuschagne this season. He has played some really poor shots in both red and white ball cricket. He isn’t timing the ball at all well.We need a lot more from him.

This is painful. Given up watching after Hogan went for 14 off his last three.
    We don’t seem able to bat first very well. Three defeats all from batting first but we have won both games batting second.
    Really disappointed in Labuschagne this season. He has played some really poor shots in both red and white ball cricket. He isn’t timing the ball at all well.We need a lot more from him.
    I said earlier. Our only threatening over was Nesser's first then instead of putting pressure on an average total Lloyd switches ends in the powerplay rather than trying to get the early wickets we needed.

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    I said earlier. Our only threatening over was Nesser's first then instead of putting pressure on an average total Lloyd switches ends in the powerplay rather than trying to get the early wickets we needed.
    Yep I agreed with this. Lloyd struggles to read the game and has a fixed view that our best bowlers have to bowl at the death. By then it’s too late. Neser should have been kept on.

We have been hammered which doesn’t help our run rate. The weather forecast suggests our game on Sunday will be rained off against a team that has lost all of their games. Not helpful.

Labushagne has been well below par. hope he's he's on prp as he needs to get focussed quick.

Quote Originally Posted by Taffy Blue in Berkshire View Post
    Labushagne has been well below par. hope he's he's on prp as he needs to get focussed quick.
    He is off on tour with Aus in a couple of games time, He has been a big disappointment this season.

hardly set the world alight and acted like a prima donna

Plenty of twenties and thirties from Glamorgan players and then they get out. I watch Carlson bat thinking he’ll be out every ball - that’s fair enough if he’s playing under orders to thrash at everything, but it seems a bit of a waste of a real talent to me.

Colin Ingram is not the player he was and I can understand the decision to start with Labuschagne and Neser, but he knew how to convert promising starts into fifties or more - generally speaking, you need someone to do that if you’re going to get the sort of totals we should have got at Middlesex and last night especially, but unless our “anchorman” Northeast does it at a slower pace (it’s okay having someone anchor the innings when chasing the sort of totals we had to in our two wins, but it’s a luxury you can’t afford in most twenty over games surely?}, we’ve got no one who can do that it seems - I think I’m right in saying that we’ve only scored one four day game century so far in this high scoring season as well.

We’ve plenty of players who can play attractive cameos which don’t win matches, but we’ve never replaced the Ingram of five years ago and I’m beginning to wonder if it might be worth getting him back in the side before Labuschagne departs in the hope he can roll back the years because otherwise I can’t see us getting beyond the 180/190 range which is limiting the number of ways we can win matches.

I wouldn’t blame the bowlers, who’d done really well before then, for last night - Smeed will be playing for England soon I reckon and he’s a young player who can do what no one in our side is capable of by the look of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Claude Blue View Post
    Had to mute the commentary, what an annoying trio.
    Same here, all of the other counties use the BBC commentators who tend to be biased, but in a Test Match Special type way (I.e. with wry and self effacing humour). From previous experience, the young commentators aren’t too bad if Trego’s not there, but he brings out the worst in them it seems and doesn’t provide any of the insights you want from a former player. - Trego was a good one day player and all round sportsman, but he was something of a journeyman cricketer overall
    and not as good as he seems to think he was.

Quote Originally Posted by Taffy Blue in Berkshire View Post
    hardly set the world alight and acted like a prima donna
    Sorry but that's absolutely crazy. Marnus is about as down to earth as you're going to see. Cant quite understand this desire to line up and bash him to be honest. He's not at peak form at he moment, but he's still playing well.

2 big positives from last night were a glimmer of form form for Lloyd and the addition of byrom to the side. I thought Byrom looked good. Lloyds hyper aggressive style will always lead to peaks and troughs, but he is such an important t20 batter for us.

5 games in we've lost 3 , won 2. 2 of the losses have come against somerset and Surrey who look pretty good for 1st and 2nd positions. I certainly think we're pretty well equipped to fight out for third and fourth spot.

Sam has to up his strikerate, historically he's batted a lot more fluently. If it's team orders that are asking him to play these kind of innings then I'd suggest the orders need to change immediately. If he's just a bit out of touch then maybe he needs to drop to 3 or 4, come in if we lose an early wicket, or just keep dropping the order if we are going well.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisp_1927 View Post
    2 big positives from last night were a glimmer of form form for Lloyd and the addition of byrom to the side. I thought Byrom looked good. Lloyds hyper aggressive style will always lead to peaks and troughs, but he is such an important t20 batter for us.

5 games in we've lost 3 , won 2. 2 of the losses have come against somerset and Surrey who look pretty good for 1st and 2nd positions. I certainly think we're pretty well equipped to fight out for third and fourth spot.

Sam has to up his strikerate, historically he's batted a lot more fluently. If it's team orders that are asking him to play these kind of innings then I'd suggest the orders need to change immediately. If he's just a bit out of touch then maybe he needs to drop to 3 or 4, come in if we lose an early wicket, or just keep dropping the order if we are going well.
    I would drop Northeast down to 6. Promote Douthwaite to open with Lloyd and just go for it. It would probably fail but give it a go because our batsmen are falling short.

Sorry but that's absolutely crazy. Marnus is about as down to earth as you're going to see. Cant quite understand this desire to line up and bash him to be honest. He's not at peak form at he moment, but he's still playing well.

He has been disappointing this season. Pretty ordinary in both forms of the game. He is a world class player and has not really been fluent throughout the season. He should be our leading batsman guiding the team at crucial stages. Instead he has thrown his wicket away at times.

...............but a prima donna ?

He has been disappointing this season. Pretty ordinary in both forms of the game. He is a world class player and has not really been fluent throughout the season. He should be our leading batsman guiding the team at crucial stages. Instead he has thrown his wicket away at times.
    Agree he's not been on top form, but he's averaging 41 in the championship so not to bad. His blast average could well be higher if he hadn't got run out by a teammate against Essex. Questions of performances are always legitimate. The prima donna bit I just can't understand . He's a real genuine, down to earth bloke who just lives cricket.

Quote Originally Posted by Seabird View Post
    ...............but a prima donna ?
    No but he is a bit petulant when given out on occasions.

Agree he's not been on top form, but he's averaging 41 in the championship so not to bad. His blast average could well be higher if he hadn't got run out by a teammate against Essex. Questions of performances are always legitimate. The prima donna bit I just can't understand . He's a real genuine, down to earth bloke who just lives cricket.
    The batting average of 41 is based on one good performance v Derbyshire where he scored 130 and 85. Here are his other scores against other counties

8, 23, 50 not out, 3, 17, 31, 13 and 17. Very ordinary imo.

I would drop Northeast down to 6. Promote Douthwaite to open with Lloyd and just go for it. It would probably fail but give it a go because our batsmen are falling short.
    I'd have certainly been tempted to promote douthwaite and weighell yesterday with those small boundaries, hitting the ball in the air is a good option at Taunton and that's what the 2 of them like doing. Byrom could be another shout to open going forward, has opened for somerset and looks to be a fluent player.

he's a hired gun and some of his shot selection in both forms of the game has seen him lose his wicket cheaply. overall disappointing he's not clicked. no doubt a decent bloke.

Anyone backing England to win the first Test at 1/4? New Zealand available at 3/1.

Anyone backing England to win the first Test at 1/4? New Zealand available at 3/1.
    Did you have a bet Colin? Surprised by those prices, but the bookies were proved right, all very comfortable- changing the new ball last night did not work out for New Zealand did it.

I don't think I'd have been comfortable backing either side at 1/4 in that one. Must have been some wild price swings during that game. I got lucky and had nz at 5.2 when they were 3 down on day 1, laid them when they were short, and laid a bit extra to give a little profit for the England win.