+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: GLAMMY

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: GLAMMY

Ingram has rolled back the years this season. It will have helped that he played red ball cricket before T20. He deserves another season and in all formats.
    Whilst Cooke is likely to return there is no reason why Cullen should be dropped. He always has such a positive attitude and his strike rate matched Ingram’s.
    A great win from where we were.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    Ingram has rolled back the years this season. It will have helped that he played red ball cricket before T20. He deserves another season and in all formats.
    Whilst Cooke is likely to return there is no reason why Cullen should be dropped. He always has such a positive attitude and his strike rate matched Ingram’s.
    A great win from where we were.
    You’d never have thought it when the T20 ended, but Glamorgan have built up a winning momentum.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    You’d never have thought it when the T20 ended, but Glamorgan have built up a winning momentum.
    There seems to be a real self belief. It’s great to see. Chuffed for Cullen at the end. His innings wasn’t really appreciated as the commentators kept on mentioning how important Ingram’s wicket was even though Tom was 50 odd not out at that stage. I started watching properly after Joe Cooke’s dismissal and thoroughly enjoyed it and another record breaking stand for the sixth wicket.

I wonder what Royal London think of the 50 over format being tucked away behind The Hundred...hardly any coverage (just like last year) also players getting hoovered up to play in the ECB heavily backed format. Maybe Ingram will get picked up now ? That would be just Glamorgan's luck having lost 2 players in past couple of days

Quote Originally Posted by billy.ronson View Post
    I wonder what Royal London think of the 50 over format being tucked away behind The Hundred...hardly any coverage (just like last year) also players getting hoovered up to play in the ECB heavily backed format. Maybe Ingram will get picked up now ? That would be just Glamorgan's luck having lost 2 players in past couple of days
    Yeah we could end up losing a couple, fingers crossed we don't.
    Quite surprising that Ingram and northeast aren't already in the hundred.

I was watching it on You Tube. Great coverage. When Glamorgan needed a hundred to win with 5 wickets down a loss seemed inevitable. But Ingram and Cullen played really well. Much better than the Welsh Fire match last evening.

Welsh Fire’s bowlers ruining what was a decent effort in the closing few balls - no balls, wides to the fore and they’re going to be chasing around 160 on what the commentators say is an awkward pitch.

I couldn’t care less about this. Welsh Fire my arse. Not a single Welsh player or Glammy player in the squad.
    Welsh in name only.

Another ropey performance from the Welsh Fire batsmen who added 119 to the 107 they got in their first game - it looked like a good crowd to watch what has to be the most unWelsh team to represent Wales in sporting history.

The Welsh Fireis supposed to be representing Glamorgan, GLoucestershire and Somerset. Completely understandably, supporters of the two English sides don’t want to know about the team that’s supposed to be representing them and, as a Welshman, I can’t get too excited about them either, so I find myself wondering what is the point in this team?

Another ropey performance from the Welsh Fire batsmen who added 119 to the 107 they got in their first game - it looked like a good crowd to watch what has to be the most unWelsh team to represent Wales in sporting history.

The Welsh Fireis supposed to be representing Glamorgan, GLoucestershire and Somerset. Completely understandably, supporters of the two English sides don’t want to know about the team that’s supposed to be representing them and, as a Welshman, I can’t get too excited about them either, so I find myself wondering what is the point in this team?
    No point at all. Not interested in this competition

No point at all. Not interested in this competition
    I love cricket. I believe it to be the best sport. I enjoy all formats until now.

I haven't watched a single minute of the Hundred. It's a meaningless franchise driven competition, and to name a team Welsh Fire when i has no connections whatsoever with Wales apart from where it plays half its games is a most patronising English decision.

I really hope it dies a quick death.

Quote Originally Posted by rich munn View Post
    I love cricket. I believe it to be the best sport. I enjoy all formats until now.

I haven't watched a single minute of the Hundred. It's a meaningless franchise driven competition, and to name a team Welsh Fire when i has no connections whatsoever with Wales apart from where it plays half its games is a most patronising English decision.

100% agree

Quote Originally Posted by rich munn View Post

im sure it will

Apparently biggest crowd ever to watch a domestic cricket match in wales today. Ever.

Yep nobody is interested in it! Lots of kids and families there. Cheap tickets. But it's not traditional so some obviously won't like it so no point debating it.

Quote Originally Posted by Father Dougal View Post
    Apparently biggest crowd ever to watch a domestic cricket match in wales today. Ever.

Yep nobody is interested in it! Lots of kids and families there. Cheap tickets. But it's not traditional so some obviously won't like it so no point debating it.
    Sorry. Didn't see this.

People might not agree with the format but it is certainly getting the crowds in.

If anything the more traditional forms of the game need to look at this to see where they're going wrong with marketing and the like.

Surely a competition that isn't for your traditional cricket fans that is five minutes old getting crowds that any Glamorgan fixtures can only dream of should tell them something.

I couldn’t care less about this. Welsh Fire my arse. Not a single Welsh player or Glammy player in the squad.
    Welsh in name only.
    Why can't we have a Welsh national team, breaking away from the ECB and going it alone? Ok, so we may not do very well on the international stage but it really pisses me off seeing the likes of Scotland, Ireland and Afghanistan present at the big competitions but no Wales. I am sure that people on here will come up with some valid reasons why not but it really does annoy me.

Quote Originally Posted by John Buchanan View Post
    Why can't we have a Welsh national team, breaking away from the ECB and going it alone? Ok, so we may not do very well on the international stage but it really pisses me off seeing the likes of Scotland, Ireland and Afghanistan present at the big competitions but no Wales. I am sure that people on here will come up with some valid reasons why not but it really does annoy me.
    because nobody wants to

Quote Originally Posted by John Buchanan View Post
    I think Glammy fill the gap of a national team

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    because nobody wants to
    I do..

Not sure The Hundred is going anywhere soon.

That crowd yesterday dwarfed anything I've seen Glamorgan get at Sophia Gardens in recent years, including the T20 quarter against Yorkshire which was one of the largest off the top of my head.

Quote Originally Posted by blue lewj View Post
    Not sure The Hundred is going anywhere soon.

That crowd yesterday dwarfed anything I've seen Glamorgan get at Sophia Gardens in recent years, including the T20 quarter against Yorkshire which was one of the largest off the top of my head.
    If this bunch of players with no connection to Wales keep serving up “product” like they have done in their first two games, the crowds will drop soon enough - I don’t like the Hundred much, but there’s been some good, exciting matches this year and last, the Welsh Fire team have contributed barely anything towards that though and the women’s team were poor last season as well.

If this bunch of players with no connection to Wales keep serving up “product” like they have done in their first two games, the crowds will drop soon enough - I don’t like the Hundred much, but there’s been some good, exciting matches this year and last, the Welsh Fire team have contributed barely anything towards that though and the women’s team were poor last season as well.
    Isn't that the same with anything though?
    Surely the large crowds show there is appetite for it though.

Does the player's background matter if they're serving up entertainment? Keeping in mind the make up of the City squad this season.

It didn't seem to matter to most of those yesterday. I do agree that they will drop off if the product is bad though. As with anything really.

Quote Originally Posted by blue lewj View Post
    Isn't that the same with anything though?
    Surely the large crowds show there is appetite for it though.

Does the player's background matter if they're serving up entertainment? Keeping in mind the make up of the City squad this season.

It didn't seem to matter to most of those yesterday. I do agree that they will drop off if the product is bad though. As with anything really.
    Regarding City, you look back beyond the last decade and there’s always been a Welsh nucleus (often a large one) in the team. City’s first team may not have a Welsh identity these days (maybe that’s why I don’t feel as close a connection to the club now), but it’s had one for the huge majority of its existence. Same with Glamorgan, the number of Welsh players may have dropped, but they’re still there and they are definitely a Welsh team.

What is The Welsh Fire meant to be? A side representing Wales of just a franchise? The make up of the team currently suggests the latter and, if that’s the case, they may as well rebrand the team as South West Fire and start alternating home games with Bristol ( a large potential audience is being ignored there) and Taunton - after all, Gloucestershire and Somerset at least have some representation in the team.

I agree about the T20 Blast which the marketing and media people at the ECB seem to have grown tired of and thrown away like a discarded toy. You only need to look at other parts of the world to see how popular it is and yet the money men and women prefer a new competition which offers a little more than three overs a side less and a few gimmicks thrown in - give it a couple of years and they’ll be agitating for something else (the One maybe) and the Hundred will be seen as old hat.

Regarding City, you look back beyond the last decade and there’s always been a Welsh nucleus (often a large one) in the team. City’s first team may not have a Welsh identity these days (maybe that’s why I don’t feel as close a connection to the club now), but it’s had one for the huge majority of its existence. Same with Glamorgan, the number of Welsh players may have dropped, but they’re still there and they are definitely a Welsh team.

What is The Welsh Fire meant to be? A side representing Wales of just a franchise? The make up of the team currently suggests the latter and, if that’s the case, they may as well rebrand the team as South West Fire and start alternating home games with Bristol ( a large potential audience is being ignored there) and Taunton - after all, Gloucestershire and Somerset at least have some representation in the team.

I agree about the T20 Blast which the marketing and media people at the ECB seem to have grown tired of and thrown away like a discarded toy. You only need to look at other parts of the world to see how popular it is and yet the money men and women prefer a new competition which offers a little more than three overs a side less and a few gimmicks thrown in - give it a couple of years and they’ll be agitating for something else (the One maybe) and the Hundred will be seen as old hat.
    We're talking modern day though. I'm not sure the modern sports fan cares too much where the players are from. Obviously nice if they're local products and you have that connection but the requirement for many is if they are any good. Many will take performance over shoe-horning Welsh lads in for the sake of it. Do Man City fans care they have very few Mancunians in the team while winning the Premier League? I very much doubt it.

What is any new team meant to be really other than have a name representing the place it is from and actually playing there? All of the things you accuse the Welsh Fire of could be aimed at say Cardiff Devils. Most teams have to start somewhere. Again, it is a game where a glut of Welsh talent isn't at its disposal, at least if they have any aim to be competitive.

I think that the ECB could have saved money by not starting from scratch and keeping all the counties happy. They haven't though and whether we like it or not people seem to like it in record figures. Crowds drop off at City if we are playing rubbish as they do at virtually every sports team regardless of history. They could potentially go higher if Welsh Fire produce a successful team too. It isn't unique to the Hundred.

I enjoy watching it but have tried to take it on face value rather than get caught up in where the players are from etc.
    Some of the performances have been shocking though. Yesterday, having been in some kind of control, they snatched defeat from the jaws of victory.

For what it is worth I think the money spent on marketing this competition could have achieved the same for T20 blast. All while not alienating most of the Counties involved.