+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: GLAMMY

Re: GLAMMY

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Byrom and Rootcomfortably bat out for the draw - meanwhile, Leicestershire, chasing 380odd at Headingley look like they’re going to beat Yorkshire.
    It was a very good season opener, Gloucester ducked out of setting a target with the hope of winning.

If Stokes had been their captain we would have had a game.

What if you lose the first game of the season in a good tussle? There's been too much negative cricket in the longer game, and this was an example of it.

Quote Originally Posted by rich munn View Post
    It was a very good season opener, Gloucester ducked out of setting a target with the hope of winning.

What if you lose the first game of the season in a good tussle? There's been too much negative cricket in the longer game, and this was an example of it.
    There was an article on whether counties would be adapting "Bazball" ...obviously Gloucester did not get the memo and stuck to let's make sure we can't lose declaration

loks like bbc sport has removed the draw from the tables

Quote Originally Posted by poc View Post
    loks like bbc sport has removed the draw from the tables
    Changed rules this year only 5pts for draw.
    Batting 250 1pt to 450 5pts

Quote Originally Posted by rich munn View Post

Isn’t there some sort of unwritten ancient cricket lore about you don’t set opponents who put you in to bat a realistic target via a declaration or am I imaging it?

I think Gloucester should rightly be proud of a draw. To overcome a 239 run deficit on first innings and not lose is an achievement. I love attacking cricket, but the draw is also a legitimate cricket result.

I do find it a bit strange the way they approached the innings mind. Played very aggressively late on Saturday, as if they were setting up for setting us a total to chase, then didn't really do it. They almost took the risk, but didn't chase the reward

Isn’t there some sort of unwritten ancient cricket lore about you don’t set opponents who put you in to bat a realistic target via a declaration or am I imaging it?
    I played a couple of three day games many moons ago and what you said Bob is correct. I remember asking Barry Lloyd if we’re going to try and set the opposition some sort of chase for maybe the final three hour on the final afternoon.He told me that as they had batted for 125 overs and had gone for bowling us out twice going for an innings victory, once we had made the game safe, there was no way that we would declare to give them a sniff. That apparently was the way 3 day games were played.

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Shot Hamish. View Post
    I played a couple of three day games many moons ago and what you said Bob is correct. I remember asking Barry Lloyd if we’re going to try and set the opposition some sort of chase for maybe the final three hour on the final afternoon.He told me that as they had batted for 125 overs and had gone for bowling us out twice going for an innings victory, once we had made the game safe, there was no way that we would declare to give them a sniff. That apparently was the way 3 day games were played.
    Cheers Hamish, thought I’d read something about it ages ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Shot Hamish. View Post
    thanks good to hear things like this

Labuschagne and Neser (who’s not been named in Australia’s squad for their first three tests of the summer) return to the Glamorgan squad for tomorrow’s match with Durham. The forecast is not bad for the first and last days, but not great for Friday and not much better on Saturday.

https://glamorgancricket.com/news/la...r-durham-clash

Anyone else think we look a bowler light? I'd like to see Salter, Prem or even another paceman in their myself. Looks like a team set up for a draw

Quote Originally Posted by chrisp_1927 View Post
    Anyone else think we look a bowler light? I'd like to see Salter, Prem or even another paceman in their myself. Looks like a team set up for a draw
    sure do think this is going to be a struggle

Quote Originally Posted by poc View Post
    sure do think this is going to be a struggle
    Durham are a bit of a bogey side for Glamorgan - Cup Finals excepted!

Carlson and Van Der Gugten have put on seventy six to take Glamorgan to 257-8 at lunch with Carlson having scored his second century of this season after failing to get one last year. Glamorgan are still some way short of the follow on target, but with only two sessions left and a dodgy looking forecast, a draw seems the big favourite.

As for Salter, having bowled leg spin and medium fast for us, Labuschagne now fancies himself as an off spinner, so maybe that’s got something to do with his omission? I agree with you though, we could have done with another bowler - I’ve not been too impressed by Podmore so far (he has been bowling in the early to mid seventies mph with frequent no balls) and James Harris wasn’t great against GLoucestershire. Douthwaite isn’t a reliable bowler either. I reckon one or both of Salter and McIlroy will play next week against Leicestershire.

Looks like I spoke too soon, Glamorgan following on are 54-4.

66-5 now. Doing their best to lose it

Saved by the rain - Rotherham style.

Quote Originally Posted by Undercoverinwurzelland View Post
    Saved by the rain - Rotherham style.
    It’s not been a good start for Glamorgan, the bowling looks almost wholly reliant on Neser and Van Der Gugten and the batting is patchy with Northeast yet to get started this season.

It’s not been a good start for Glamorgan, the bowling looks almost wholly reliant on Neser and Van Der Gugten and the batting is patchy with Northeast yet to get started this season.
    “They totally outplayed us" said Maynard. Think he's right.

Leicestershire 121-2 after being put in to bat. Neser very expensive by his standards and only Van Der Gugten posing a threat - our bowling’s looking very light this year

Leicestershire 121-2 after being put in to bat. Neser very expensive by his standards and only Van Der Gugten posing a threat - our bowling’s looking very light this year
    not looking like a smart decision and now Salter's on...................

Could certainly do with a Hogan running in. Looking for a silver lining, McIlroy had a good economy rate this morning, hopefully that'll turn into a couple of wickets for not many runs by end of innings. Glad to see Podmore dropped, he's looked completely disinterested in the field and his bowling has been very pedestrian.

Another wicket for tvdg. He's carrying us this year

Could certainly do with a Hogan running in. Looking for a silver lining, McIlroy had a good economy rate this morning, hopefully that'll turn into a couple of wickets for not many runs by end of innings. Glad to see Podmore dropped, he's looked completely disinterested in the field and his bowling has been very pedestrian.
    Podmore’s career record is good, but he’s had serious injury problems in recent years and his signing has to be seen as a risk. I presumed the speed gun or whatever they call it was not working properly because it was only showing around 72mph when he opened the bowling against Gloucestershire, it was the same against Durham this time accompanied by no balls and a run rate against him of about five an over.

McIlroy often doesn’t go for many runs per over, but, to me, he never suggests he’s going to run through a team or even take the odd wicket or two. Going back to 70 mph opening bowlers, Glamorgan’s left armer Malcolm Nash got pretty close to the England team back in the seventies because he was able to bowl an inswinger to right handers which made him devastating when the ball was swinging, Graham Wagg had the same gift to a lesser extent, but I’ve not seen much sign of it from McIlroy, although, to be fair, I’ve not seen a great deal of him.

Four wickets for Van Der Gugten now.