+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: GLAMMY

Re: GLAMMY

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Worcester View Post
    I know there’s a big degree of being wise after the event in this (always annoying), and I also know no one could have predicted no further play after tea (or maybe they could / should have?), but surely glammy declared too late. Nearly 500! Or maybe as someone else said they were really spooked by leics chase a couple of games ago. But draw has to be heavy odds on surely?
    The commentators were talking of rain coming at four during the morning session and there was a discussion as towhenGlamorganshould declare. The Yorkshire commentators were amazed when Nick Webb said we’d could be looking for a lead of459 which they thought was at least fifty too many.

I thought we could have declared at least half an hour earlier because it was clearly getting more gloomy and the rain at four forecast was going to be more or less on the mark.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    The commentators were talking of rain coming at four during the morning session and there was a discussion as towhenGlamorganshould declare. The Yorkshire commentators were amazed when Nick Webb said we’d could be looking for a lead of459 which they thought was at least fifty too many.

I thought we could have declared at least half an hour earlier because it was clearly getting more gloomy and the rain at four forecast was going to be more or less on the mark.
    This displayed the height of negativity to me. Talk about safety first.

yorkshire 99-1 at lunch

Van Der Gugten gets Bairstow for a duck, but we’re not going to get eight wickets in the time left.

The declaration was far too late. Pathetic really.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    The declaration was far too late. Pathetic really.
    Except we'd probably have lost with an earlier declaration

4 down. A burst from neser now would really help

4 down. A burst from neser now would really help
    New ball due soon as well, all day long I’ve been thinking Yorkshire were surviving so comfortably that the timing of the declaration didn’t matter, but a couple more wickets and it will become relevant.

New ball due soon as well, all day long I’ve been thinking Yorkshire were surviving so comfortably that the timing of the declaration didn’t matter, but a couple more wickets and it will become relevant.
    I said neser but of course I meant mcllroy

I said neser but of course I meant mcllroy
    King pair for Bess.

They couldn’t could they

How many overs left?

Now 6......

Is that 95 or 96 total overs ending then?

Quote Originally Posted by fugsyphil View Post
    Is that 95 or 96 total overs ending then?
    96 overs.

9 down. Draw. What an effort

I suppose that makes up for the one we got away with against Durham, we could and should have declared a bit earlier though.

I suppose that makes up for the one we got away with against Durham, we could and should have declared a bit earlier though.
    Yes, no question. But unlucky to lose the entire session. Played 4 drawn 4. County championship season could go either way

so close and prob declared at the right time as Yorks were in with a sniff.

Quote Originally Posted by Taffy Blue in Berkshire View Post
    so close and prob declared at the right time as Yorks were in with a sniff.
    In the closing overs, Glamorgan had all but one fielder close to the bat and were sometimes letting the ball go for four to keep the weaker batter on strike, they set attacking fields all day and were always looking o take wickets - they could have set more negative fields and bowled wide of the wickets if the chance of Yorkshire winning ever became an issue. For me, Lloyd got his declaration wrong and, early in the season in these days of Bazball, would it have been a disaster anyway if we'd lost while giving ourselves a better chance of winning?

In the closing overs, Glamorgan had all but one fielder close to the bat and were sometimes letting the ball go for four to keep the weaker batter on strike, they set attacking fields all day and were always looking o take wickets - they could have set more negative fields and bowled wide of the wickets if the chance of Yorkshire winning ever became an issue. For me, Lloyd got his declaration wrong and, early in the season in these days of Bazball, would it have been a disaster anyway if we'd lost while giving ourselves a better chance of winning?
    Exactly. You only get 5 points for a draw. You should be able get more than that in bonus points in a loss. Its nothing.

Plus we are in division 2 (and have been for 18 years). There's no safety to play for. If we were in division 1 fighting for survival then fair enough we need to make sure we don't lose. But in division 2 when it's our 4th game and we haven't won this season yet? Setting them nearly 500 when we bowled them out for 100 something on day 1? Come on.......

Quote Originally Posted by Father Dougal View Post
    Exactly. You only get 5 points for a draw. You should be able get more than that in bonus points in a loss. Its nothing.

Plus we are in division 2 (and have been for 18 years). There's no safety to play for. If we were in division 1 fighting for survival then fair enough we need to make sure we don't lose. But in division 2 when it's our 4th game and we haven't won this season yet? Setting them nearly 500 when we bowled them out for 100 something on day 1? Come on.......
    Very hard to argue with any of that sadly.

Glamorgan are doing well with the toss of the coin this season, they put Worcestershire into bat this morning and reduced them to 38-6 - Neser and Van Der Gugten have taken five wickets between them.

A good morning