+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: GLAMMY

Re: GLAMMY

Really absorbing game, maybe less so from a Sussex fans point of view. Durham is our next 4 day game, so I suppose a win is required if we have ambitions of top spot. Certainly looking very much in the mix for second place though.

Wonder if Yorkshire thought they'd be bottom of the pile at the T20 break. My heart bleeds for them !!

Quote Originally Posted by chrisp_1927 View Post
    Really absorbing game, maybe less so from a Sussex fans point of view. Durham is our next 4 day game, so I suppose a win is required if we have ambitions of top spot. Certainly looking very much in the mix for second place though.

Wonder if Yorkshire thought they'd be bottom of the pile at the T20 break. My heart bleeds for them !!
    On some county cricket forums I'm in glamorgan getting quite a bit of stick for not declaring earlier. After a 1st innings deficit of over 350?! I wasn't expecting glamorgan to be criticised for that!

Quote Originally Posted by Father Dougal View Post
    On some county cricket forums I'm in glamorgan getting quite a bit of stick for not declaring earlier. After a 1st innings deficit of over 350?! I wasn't expecting glamorgan to be criticised for that!
    I was switching on the stream every now and then yesterday and heard two conversations among commentators regarding a possible Glamorgan declaration - both times there was unanimity between them that there was no way that Glamorgan were going to declare (the second conversation was between a couple of Sussex supporting commentators).

There's an interview with Maynard on Twitter where he was asked by Nick Webb about a possible declaration and he said they would have considered it if Carlson and Labuschagne could have batted for longer - this might have enabled them to set Sussex something in about sixty five overs, but once Labuschagne was out, followed pretty quickly by Root, it became all about batting long enough to make the game safe.

From my own point of view, it took Sussex more than 200 overs and two days to bowl us out. The idea that we, with no decent spinner available, could have bowled Sussex out in, say, forty overs is laughable - the only way that may have happened was if Sussex agreed to keep on chasing the target come what may and they were never going to do that given that it meant they would have, effectively, been handing points to a promotion rival.

Incredible effort. Considering the first couple days of play, I couldn’t follow much yesterday and Saturday so had written the game off - very happy to check in on the score once in a while on progress and to see Glammy still batting!

I think the change in the split between drawing/winning points may come into the thinking of some people’s criticisms, especially in the 2nd div where there’s no trap door and it’s all about promotion. Also, so far with Glamorgan, first innings batting BPs haven’t been the easiest to come by.

Considering where the game was I think the approach towards the end of the last day ultimately made sense given the situation at the end of the first innings. I do think they probably should’ve had some form of go at the Sussex batters even if not much of a carrot was offered but given they’ve Pujara and Smith in the line up it would’ve been more in hope on that wicket.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I was switching on the stream every now and then yesterday and heard two conversations among commentators regarding a possible Glamorgan declaration - both times there was unanimity between them that there was no way that Glamorgan were going to declare (the second conversation was between a couple of Sussex supporting commentators).

There's an interview with Maynard on Twitter where he was asked by Nick Webb about a possible declaration and he said they would have considered it if Carlson and Labuschagne could have batted for longer - this might have enabled them to set Sussex something in about sixty five overs, but once Labuschagne was out, followed pretty quickly by Root, it became all about batting long enough to make the game safe.

From my own point of view, it took Sussex more than 200 overs and two days to bowl us out. The idea that we, with no decent spinner available, could have bowled Sussex out in, say, forty overs is laughable - the only way that may have happened was if Sussex agreed to keep on chasing the target come what may and they were never going to do that given that it meant they would have, effectively, been handing points to a promotion rival.
    Yeah as a glamorgan fan I had never even considered we may declare. Was a surprise to see some criticism from Sussex fans.

For me it's just a wonderful battle. I saw somewhere it's the biggest ever difference between a teams first innings score and their 2nd. That's unbelievable and will talked about nationwide for decades to come.

And Glamorgan’s three centurions int he 2nd innings (scoring a combined total of 453) only managed to score 11 runs between them in the 1st innings!

Yeah as a glamorgan fan I had never even considered we may declare. Was a surprise to see some criticism from Sussex fans.

For me it's just a wonderful battle. I saw somewhere it's the biggest ever difference between a teams first innings score and their 2nd. That's unbelievable and will talked about nationwide for decades to come.

And Glamorgan’s three centurions int he 2nd innings (scoring a combined total of 453) only managed to score 11 runs between them in the 1st innings!
    I like the fact that in our 2 recent massive innings, Sam Northeasts contributions have been 410 and a first ball duck.

Agree with you there, monumental effort from Glamorgan, to be criticised for not declaring is very harsh. Certainly think a 'sporting declaration' would have been daft after doing all that work to bat ourselves to safety.

From a Glamorgan point of view I am slightly disappointed we didn't have a go at them. Potentially a 9 man batting lineup, that had been in the field for over 2 days. Would have been nice to see Neser and Timm steaming in to rattle them, even if just for 20/25 overs.

But all in all, what a fantastic game of cricket. A game that shows the value of the draw as a result in my opinion.

What would have been the point of a declaration? There was no chance of taking ten wickets in a few hours.

It was a brilliant effort to bat for over two days. Northeast really missed out and needs some runs.
    Neser will be a big miss if he gets selected for the Aussies.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    What would have been the point of a declaration? There was no chance of taking ten wickets in a few hours.

It was a brilliant effort to bat for over two days. Northeast really missed out and needs some runs.
    Neser will be a big miss if he gets selected for the Aussies.
    A declaration at the beginning of the day could have meant defeat. At any other point meant an unlikely bowling victory. Why not stay in and give the batsmen some confidence going forward, knowing the draw was in the bag?

Fielding for so long after sensing a win early on must have been both soul destroying as well as tiring.

To grind one of your rivals into the ground will have done our players' confidence the world of good and them the exact opposite.

As has been said, to attempt to take ten wickets on such a pitch against a very competent side would have been silly IMO.

Neser and Labuschage will be missed but this has always been the price you pay for having great players in your team, something unfortunately we haven't experienced much

Listening to the Wisden Podcast and they’re discussing Kent’s decision to start charging non members £6 to watch their T20 matches. This is news to me and, although they think £6 is too much to attract a big audience, they think it’s inevitable that other counties will follow eventually.

I’d not be interested in paying to watch any white ball cricket, but I think I’d pay a few quid within reason for a “season ticket” for Glamorgan four day game.

Decent bowling effort by Glamorgan tonight. Glos 161-9. Nice to ruadrih Smith back, was disappointed to see him and Joe Cooke go. A fit Smith is a very good short form bowler.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisp_1927 View Post
    Decent bowling effort by Glamorgan tonight. Glos 161-9. Nice to ruadrih Smith back, was disappointed to see him and Joe Cooke go. A fit Smith is a very good short form bowler.
    Started the reply with some poor shots. 20/2

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Blue View Post
    Started the reply with some poor shots. 20/2
    never easy with this lot

Quote Originally Posted by Taffy Blue in Berkshire View Post
    never easy with this lot
    doing a feckin Cardiff

129/6

Still favourites but it’s squeaky.

Glos now favourites with 8 balls to go.

Glammy win with 5 balls to spare!

that was too close for comfort and the wheels were falling off at the end. Mind you some great catches by Glos!

Phew. Nice to start with a win though.

enjoyed that, some very good cricket, great catches by Glos, great 6 too finish the game

Topsy turvy game, but great result in the end. Nice to see Ingram and Carlson get good scores at a strong clip. Stoked for Smith, good performance with the ball and a telling blow with the bat. Good start to the comp for glam!

Quote Originally Posted by Taffy Blue in Berkshire View Post
    that was too close for comfort and the wheels were falling off at the end. Mind you some great catches by Glos!
    The caught and bowled looked a nailed on four. In the end a good win, The batting looks a little light though.

Quote Originally Posted by rich munn View Post
    Glammy win with 5 balls to spare!
    Who would have thought it just three balls earlier.