+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: John Stones for 47.5m to Man City

John Stones for 47.5m to Man City

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37020275

Confirmed. For a defender who can't defend that well that's another embarrassment to add to English football transfers.

This will almost definitely open the door for Williams to move to Everton now.

Re: John Stones for 47.5m to Man City

Not learned from the Sterling transfer.

Meanwhile,
    Paul Pogba: Man Utd midfielder worth record fee - Rio Ferdinand

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36969709

FOOTBALL

Quote Originally Posted by Nelsonca61 View Post
    Meanwhile,
    Paul Pogba: Man Utd midfielder worth record fee - Rio Ferdinand

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36969709
    So they sell him four years ago for £1.5m now he's worth £90m??? Great bit of business that

Love Rio's quote : "I said two years ago at the 2014 World Cup that I thought he would become the world's best midfielder. He is not there yet - but there is a lot more to come from him."

If £90m doesn't buy you the best midfielder in the world, football has got problems.

If Joe Allen was English would he have been sold for £25m+ this summer?

Williams deal getting done now

Quote Originally Posted by TH63 View Post
    So they sell him four years ago for £1.5m now he's worth £90m??? Great bit of business that

Love Rio's quote : "I said two years ago at the 2014 World Cup that I thought he would become the world's best midfielder. He is not there yet - but there is a lot more to come from him."

If £90m doesn't buy you the best midfielder in the world, football has got problems.
    The thing is in terms of revenue it's nothing for them to spend, probably the equivalent of us spending a few million.

Quote Originally Posted by TH63 View Post

Finally, the Cornelius deal starts to look like good business.

John Stones is a liability at the back .Interesting to see if Pep sorts him out.

Yeah Sterling has come on leaps and bounds at Man City...not...

Quote Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
    If Joe Allen was English would he have been sold for £25m+ this summer?
    Ummm No.

Being Welsh didn't harm Bales valuation or the figures being talked about for Ramsey.

Get that chip off your shoulder

Pogba and Stones will prove good value buys. With their ages the buying clubs could no doubt get 5 years service out of them and still recoup the majority if not more of the outlay (same applies to Sterling too imo)

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    The thing is in terms of revenue it's nothing for them to spend, probably the equivalent of us spending a few million.
    Yeah I saw a video show that reckoned the Pogba fee is roughly 20% of Uniteds forecast revenue. So went as follows as the equivalent of

Liverpool spending roughly £58mil
    Man City -£69 mil
    Chelsea - £62 mil
    Everton - £24 mil (they spent £28mil on Lukaku)
    Real Madrid - £86 mil
    Leeds (for some reason they included these) - £4.7mil

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    Yeah Sterling has come on leaps and bounds at Man City...not...
    He didn't look bad in the Arsenal friendly on Sunday. Great assist for Aguero

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    Finally, the Cornelius deal starts to look like good business.

All that happens when there is a new television deal is that transfer fees go through the roof (again). Premier League sides are signing players for £30 million this summer that could have been bought for about a third of that two years ago - £30 million buys you a good player in the Premier League now, but not a great one.

Against that background, I think the Stones deal could work out very well for Man City if (and it's a pretty big if) they can improve his defensive play by about 15%.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueArmy 86 View Post
    He didn't look bad in the Arsenal friendly on Sunday. Great assist for Aguero
    WHAT. A second good performance from the lad? Well worth every penny of his 48m fee.

I thought he was outstanding in the Wales game at the euros (from a welsh perspective)

Crazy.

I recall when Arsenal paid £100k for Peter Marinello, and a few years later Man U spent over £200k on Ian Storey Moore and it just went on and on and on and now we have all but reached £100m.

It won't stop at this, with more and more money being pumped in the global game.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    All that happens when there is a new television deal is that transfer fees go through the roof (again). Premier League sides are signing players for £30 million this summer that could have been bought for about a third of that two years ago - £30 million buys you a good player in the Premier League now, but not a great one.

Against that background, I think the Stones deal could work out very well for Man City if (and it's a pretty big if) they can improve his defensive play by about 15%.
    Wenger eluded to this in an interview. Commenting that French Ligue 1 players are valued differently when sold within the French leagues or certain other foreign leagues. The moment an English club gets involved the value is inflated because everyone is aware of how much money there is now in the Premier League.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhiw-Blue View Post
    Ummm No.

Being Welsh didn't harm Bales valuation or the figures being talked about for Ramsey.

Pogba and Stones will prove good value buys. With their ages the buying clubs could no doubt get 5 years service out of them and still recoup the majority if not more of the outlay (same applies to Sterling too imo)

What? take any young player and change his nationality to English from wherever he comes from and you can add 30 percent plus to his value partially thats down to Uefas home grown rules, seem Sterling, Raheem.

Stones may be the closest thing English football has to a Pep defender (and Pique, Boateng improved while he was their manager) but it's a football oddity that something as essential as defending is valued so poorly that those who master it cannot compare to those classed as an attacking defender. How can Stones and Luiz be the two most expensive CB's in the world when they certainly wouldn't get into the top 25, and possibly top 50, CB's of the past 10 years?

Quote Originally Posted by Rhiw-Blue View Post
    Ummm No.

Chill out mate, how long have you had all that sand up your arse?

Confirmed. For a defender who can't defend that well that's another embarrassment to add to English football transfers.

A defender who can't defend, being replaced by an even worse defender, who cannot defend!

It all depends how you set your side up.
    Man City have an attack mentality where offence starts from the keeper, through defence and Stones adds value in that department.
    I am sure he will make mistakes, just like David Luis did and continues to do, but the game has changed (for the elite sides anyway) from the dependable centre half who clears his lines to a chance spotting positive strong runner who can ping a ball.

Of course if he does fail there for whatever reason, they will recoup much of the investment after selling on and the loss is no biggy for the billionaire owners.

It makes me cringe the amounts paid but it is all relative to the obscene money within football these days