+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: static caravans

static caravans

anyone ever bought one on a holiday park? what are the pros and cons please? is it worth doing?

Re: static caravans

Wrong site.

They make your hair stand on end.

Quote Originally Posted by kingbillyboy View Post
    anyone ever bought one on a holiday park? what are the pros and cons please? is it worth doing?
    The service charges are the biggest con. Thought of buying a caravan at a site in Pembrokeshire until I found out the charges were 3k a year, also caravans depreciate a lot. Some of the sites have non existant security as well. Personally if you like a particular caravan site I'd just keep booking a weeks holiday as you want, it's a lot less hastle.

Expensive to buy as the site owner sells at a higher price than if you bought the van from anywhere else. Most insist that you can only buy through the site owners. And when you come to sell you will lose a fortune as normally you must sell through the site owners who take a very hefty commission. Annual costs around my way (Devon) charge between £4600 and £7600 per annum site fees. You can rent the static out but only through the site operators and - you've guessed it - they take a hefty commission. Also some operators insist that after 10 years or so the caravan must be replaced in order to maintain the appearance of a site. That is why some perfectly good caravans are being sold for £9000 which must be towed away to some other location often to be used as building site offices.

A static can be great if you have plenty of time to use it. That is why the majority are owned by pensioners. But the whole experience is designed to make plenty of money for the site owners. However, if you can put up with these negatives it can be a worthwhile experience especially for kids.

The message I'm getting from this thread is "be a site owner".

thanks to the replyers. i will give it a miss it sounds horrendoos with those fees.

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Cærdiffi View Post
    The message I'm getting from this thread is "be a site owner".
    As opposed to the majority of parks, who are shite owners.

I had one on the Gower, never again due to the reasons already stated.
    Everything is to stacked in favour of the site owner & ours cost us about £200 a week after taking everything into account including depreciation & that is after paying cash for it so no finance costs.
    To give you an example my caravan was available from the dealer for £20k cash but it had to be bought through the site (who bought it from the same dealer at a trade price so less than £20k) & through the site it cost £30k cash !
    Site owners make a killing.

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    Expensive to buy as the site owner sells at a higher price than if you bought the van from anywhere else. Most insist that you can only buy through the site owners. And when you come to sell you will lose a fortune as normally you must sell through the site owners who take a very hefty commission. Annual costs around my way (Devon) charge between £4600 and £7600 per annum site fees. You can rent the static out but only through the site operators and - you've guessed it - they take a hefty commission. Also some operators insist that after 10 years or so the caravan must be replaced in order to maintain the appearance of a site. That is why some perfectly good caravans are being sold for £9000 which must be towed away to some other location often to be used as building site offices.

A static can be great if you have plenty of time to use it. That is why the majority are owned by pensioners. But the whole experience is designed to make plenty of money for the site owners. However, if you can put up with these negatives it can be a worthwhile experience especially for kids.
    This reply is spot on. I've never owned (or wanted to own) a static caravan for the reasons given above. It seems to me that these sites are run on mafia-like principles!

I've never owned one or a tourer for that matter because I think depreciation on both is horrendous and makes it not a cheap way to holiday at all despite what owners tell you.
    That said £3000 ground rent per year isn't bad is it? It's a business he's not doing you a favour, plus he's got the upkeep of the place ( a mates paying £8k at Lydstep!!)
    As mentioned just rent one though, can't see the attraction of holidaying in the same place every weekend you might as well stay home

Well I'm not moving mine from Morriston until the football season is over.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhiw-Blue View Post
    I've never owned one or a tourer for that matter because I think depreciation on both is horrendous and makes it not a cheap way to holiday at all despite what owners tell you.
    That said £3000 ground rent per year isn't bad is it? It's a business he's not doing you a favour, plus he's got the upkeep of the place ( a mates paying £8k at Lydstep!!)
    As mentioned just rent one though, can't see the attraction of holidaying in the same place every weekend you might as well stay home
    £3,000 site fees were in 2009 so 7 years ago, I believe they are about £5,000 on that site now.
    Gas, electric & water were on top of that & insurance in 2009 was around £600 through the site (under £200 from a broker but the site wouldn"t accept insurance unless it was done through them).
    If your friend at Lydstep pays gas, electric,water & insurance on top of that £8,000 he will be paying around £10k a year or £200 a week before he has even used the caravan, plus he will have depreciation on top which will be £2,000-£3,000 PA.
    I sold the static & bought a camper van.
    Go where we want when we want & if we don"t like a place don"t go there again.
    In fact we are off this afternoon for 4 days.
    £16 a night fees & for that we get a hardstand, electric hook up, water & site shower & toilet block if we wish to use it.
    We have all the same things in the camper that we had in a 34ft static.
    Will cost about £25 in diesel there & back so £90 for 4 nights not including food.
    Fraction of the cost of the static & much less depreciation as the first owner took the big hit & when it is 10 years old we won"t have to scrap it or give it away.
    Insurance is about £160, standard road tax & no fees when it is parked on our drive.
    Each to their own but static caravan sites are so skewed in favour of the site owners basically ripping you off never again.

Quote Originally Posted by headlight View Post
    £3,000 site fees were in 2009 so 7 years ago, I believe they are about £5,000 on that site now.
    Gas, electric & water were on top of that & insurance in 2009 was around £600 through the site (under £200 from a broker but the site wouldn"t accept insurance unless it was done through them).
    If your friend at Lydstep pays gas, electric,water & insurance on top of that £8,000 he will be paying around £10k a year or £200 a week before he has even used the caravan, plus he will have depreciation on top which will be £2,000-£3,000 PA.
    I sold the static & bought a camper van.
    Go where we want when we want & if we don"t like a place don"t go there again.
    In fact we are off this afternoon for 4 days.
    £16 a night fees & for that we get a hardstand, electric hook up, water & site shower & toilet block if we wish to use it.
    We have all the same things in the camper that we had in a 34ft static.
    Will cost about £25 in diesel there & back so £90 for 4 nights not including food.
    Fraction of the cost of the static & much less depreciation as the first owner took the big hit & when it is 10 years old we won"t have to scrap it or give it away.
    Insurance is about £160, standard road tax & no fees when it is parked on our drive.
    Each to their own but static caravan sites are so skewed in favour of the site owners basically ripping you off never again.
    you are the bastad that clogs up the motoways then

I wanted to buy a paper this morning so I went to the newsagent with my 65p but they said I had to buy the paper through the site owner and now it's costing me £7000 a year ffs

I wanted to buy a paper this morning so I went to the newsagent with my 65p but they said I had to buy the paper through the site owner and now it's costing me £7000 a year ffs
    you are a mongo who does nothing for this message board. how about you **** off or shut the **** up you cockmuncher.

Quote Originally Posted by kingbillyboy View Post
    you are a mongo who does nothing for this message board. how about you **** off or shut the **** up you cockmuncher.
    Apology accepted.

Apology accepted.
    i should bloody well think so. tosser.

hmmmm some interesting comments there

I have had a static down west wales for 8 years...best move ever. If you are going to use it on a regular basis then there is a lot in it's favour. Over the summer hols for an example I am down every Sat-Tue, then a full 10 days coming up

Have a look at these.......if you are interested give Fae a ring, he is a city fan and will tell you straight.

https://www.valeholidayparks.com/

I got a touring caravan, I'm actually sat typing this now lying on my bed down at Unity Farm over in brean. Love the caravan in the 6 weeks holidays.
    As I do school run contracts I save enough to have the whole 6 weeks off work in the summer time and would definitely recommend a tourer so you can try different sites and not be stuck in just one place as this gets boring after a while.
    It's brilliant as long as the weather is good.

Quote Originally Posted by uncle bob View Post
    I got a touring caravan, I'm actually sat typing this now lying on my bed down at Unity Farm over in brean. Love the caravan in the 6 weeks holidays.
    As I do school run contracts I save enough to have the whole 6 weeks off work in the summer time and would definitely recommend a tourer so you can try different sites and not be stuck in just one place as this gets boring after a while.
    In Brean? Oh dear.

Pop over for a pint of my home brew wine if you fancy Taunton Blue

Quote Originally Posted by uncle bob View Post
    Quite a few of the drivers from Llanrumbo go there. Do you do a bit a carp fishing while you're there Bob.

It's the same principle as buying a boat. If you worry about the cost don't do it , I love ours in Penally and have made lifelong friendships down here, the stress of running a business falls away in the Pembrokeshire breeze and is priceless . It is fantastic for young families as the quality of life is safe and chilled. Even when it is pissing down and the rain hammers on the roof I love it .

Apology accepted.