+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brexit, it's up to the lawyers now.

Brexit, it's up to the lawyers now.

"Three months after Britain voted in an advisory referendum to leave the EU, we know a little more about what happens next, but not much."

So now the whole vote is being downgraded to that of being merely "advisory" according to some.

Right, I don't know about you but I was always dissatisfied with the initial outcome of the Battle of Hastings in 1066, I mean how can one arrow among all the thousands that were fired off by either side determine a result. If that was truly the case, why not just fire off one arrow and be done with it?

No, I'm far from happy and think that the historical result was merely advisory and we should look at the whole thing all over again, maybe have a rerun of the battle to establish a decent result.

http://www.newnations.com/bulletin/brexitoct.html

Re: Brexit, it's up to the lawyers now.

Quote Originally Posted by Splott David View Post
    "Three months after Britain voted in an advisory referendum to leave the EU, we know a little more about what happens next, but not much."

So now the whole vote is being downgraded to that of being merely "advisory" according to some.

Right, I don't know about you but I was always dissatisfied with the initial outcome of the Battle of Hastings in 1066, I mean how can one arrow among all the thousands that were fired off by either side determine a result. If that was truly the case, why not just fire off one arrow and be done with it?

No, I'm far from happy and think that the historical result was merely advisory and we should look at the whole thing all over again, maybe have a rerun of the battle to establish a decent result.

It wasn't advisory when we joined!!!!, perhaps i'm wrong but i seem to it being all about butter mountains, fishing rights and basically, a common agriculture policy, I don't think those who voted in at the time voted for the behemoth that it had become.

Quote Originally Posted by Nelsonca61 View Post
    It wasn't advisory when we joined!!!!, perhaps i'm wrong but i seem to it being all about butter mountains, fishing rights and basically, a common agriculture policy, I don't think those who voted in at the time voted for the behemoth that it had become.
    A very fair point. We were lied to about the true nature and intent behind Britain joining in 1972 and then again we were denied a vote under Ted Heath in 1975. The denial of any say in the matter back in 1975 really pissed me off, but not being the sort to carry a grudge or nurse one I waited 41 years to get my own back......and made sure I was first in the queue to cast my stone/vote. After all we couldn't get any accountability from the elected peadophiles that we had in this country, so how on earth were we supposed to get it from the un-elected ones on the Brussels gravy train?

Quote Originally Posted by ninianclark View Post
    Maybe there should have been a contract drawn up detailing exactly what powers the EU had and would use and areas which would be left to individual countries. Instead you get project creep and all of a certain the reality is 100% noting like it was explained in the first place.

Interestingly last week the shadow chancellor when questioned about his 'new economics' he said that post Brexit they would no longer have to adhere to the restrictions that meants large Corps dont pay tax, in a post Brexit setup - companies would have to pay tax on all transactions bought by UK customers.
    So maybe McDonnell was a 'brexiter' after all
    The cross border transfer pricing avoidance loopholes were closed even before the bullshit Apple ruling... McDonell will never be in a position to dictate how we tax our resident MNC's, so I dont particularly give a flying fuk what he thinks.

If anything, I suspect post brexit will see even more deals to try and entice FDI along with the further slashing of corporation tax, all good as long as they also transfer operations here providing high value employment... Thou I suspect being outside of the EU will put us at a disadvantage. The Irish particularly will gain, especially if we really are dumb enough to leave the single market.

[QUOTE=ninianclark;4679588]I have no idea what the Govt will do, but I suspect given the decision the following will happen :-

1. We will leave the single market
    2. We will adopt all the EU laws as UK Acts of Parliament especially those that affect the import / export of goods etc
    (would be simpler to stay in the EU obviously - but that ship has already sailed)

If you sell goods / services to UK residents your company will pay the relevant taxes on them - or you cant trade here.

You do know, Britain has all the sovereignty to limit tax avoidance today as a member of the EU. Brexit wont change anything, the MNC avoidance schemes have been constructed within the rules of existing member states, neither despite or because of existing EU legislation. Who'd have thunk it eh, the worlds wealthiest corporates exploiting the idiosyncrasies and complexities of tax legislation to limit their liabilities

It was an EU treaty that stated large corps could domicile themselves wherever they wanted in Europe - thats why all of a sudden Google decided it loved the Republic of Ireland - if it was a level playing field that would be the last place they would setup their HQ.

No idea what point your trying to make here. You can domicile wherever you like, you are still liable for tax on profit within the jurisdiction where the trading activity occurs. I suspect your confusing brass plate inversions designed to circumvent the US tax code and prevent double taxation with some imaginary cunning scam that only exists in your head to screw over the UK treasury.

btw, my work takes me to Sandyford and Leopardstown in south Dublin as well Oranmore over in the West several times a year. I love the place, great place to live and work and currently attracting more high value FDI than anywhere else worldwide. The workforce is predominantly young, 3rd level educated and highly productive...Unlike here incidentally where productivity per capita is diabolical. Transport Infrastructure, particularly road and air have been transformed beyond all recognition and is continually seeing ongoing improvement. The progress they've made post crash is astonishing. Instead of vacuous prejudice you'd be better served trying to emulate their achievement...they're light years ahead of us.

I can't help but feel the pro-Brexit "Britain will be like Britain" response to "Will the UK be like....?" question ignored just how many negotiations and thus compromises will be made in order to ensure the UK can leave the EU, which this article starts to sum up: https://publiclawforeveryone.com/201...nary-thoughts/

We will have to firstly work out what the UK wants Brexit to look like (and the now infamous line doesn't help) before we then start to talk to the EU and before we start to talk to the world about how we wish to open new trade deals with them. The upshot could be the UK being a smaller but more nimble market so we can negotiate with the fasted growing economies, but if the argument was about jobs or sovereignty then May's hard Brexit and May's "only Tory" Brexit is thus far failing those who wanted it.

Ahh well, at least May got to power grab and the Tory backbenches will quieten down about Europe. That's the main thing.

The EU has brought many benefits to Europe, obviously if you are an old bastard you won't have to worry about the consciences in years to come.

The term "advisory" was always there but as May suggests, we'll definitely leave the EU, but the whole thing is a mess and it'll take time.

Cue Organ in 1.... 2.... 3....

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlue View Post
    The EU has brought many benefits to Europe, obviously if you are an old bastard you won't have to worry about the consciences in years to come.
    The EU as you know it is not the finished article. It has had built-in mission creep from day one. As generations pass they ramp it up a bit more. I would imagine it will be today's toddlers who are the ones that will experience the full vision of a united Europe, that is fully integrated into a united world.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    The EU as you know it is not the finished article. It has had built-in mission creep from day one. As generations pass they ramp it up a bit more. I would imagine it will be today's toddlers who are the ones that will experience the full vision of a united Europe, that is fully integrated into a united world.
    You make it sound like a united Europe would be a bad thing?

Quote Originally Posted by Splott David View Post

fair play, you're a f*cking nutter

Quote Originally Posted by Nelsonca61 View Post

Spot on, we joined "the common agriculture policy," somehow it grew into something else, and I think a lot of folk who voted back then have now taken the opportunity to have their say , and vote out , along with the uncomfortable migration effect that has had on older folk.

The pound hit a 35-year low today versus the US dollar, and a three-year low against the euro. Gold's been slammed as well, not that Britain has much of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post
    The pound hit a 35-year low today versus the US dollar, and a three-year low against the euro. Gold's been slammed as well, not that Britain has much of it.
    my nan has ****ing loads of it actually.

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post
    Our only hope for the pound is a Trump win.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Spot on, we joined "the common agriculture policy," somehow it grew into something else, and I think a lot of folk who voted back then have now taken the opportunity to have their say , and vote out , along with the uncomfortable migration effect that has had on older folk.
    It was advisory, and the politicians decided to follow it. What they mean by advisory is that it isn't binding. Referendum in the UK aren't.

No-one who voted for Brexit actually knows what they voted for yet. It was a leap in the dark.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    No-one who voted for Brexit actually knows what they voted for yet. It was a leap in the dark.
    Agree 100% but those who voted to enter many years ago, did they vote on the current EU model ?

Looks like a nice little bitch fight on the Horizon between Nicola Sturgeon and Theresa May

If people have very little already what have they got to lose?

If people have very little already what have they got to lose?
    They may find out in due course.
    Last edited by Taunton Blue Genie; 05-10-16 at 20:18.

They will find out in due course.
    You sound as if you know what will happen, spill the beans

They may find out in due course.
    They've already got nothing or next to nothing though. The ones with stuff to lose will be the middle classes such as yourself I would guess.

They've already got nothing or next to nothing though. The ones with stuff to lose will be the middle classes such as yourself I would guess.
    Possibly reflected in the demographics of the vote

52% of the population in one of the richest countries in the world have nothing or next to nothing to lose?
    And you consider me to be middle class without knowing anything about me.

All good stuff.
    Last edited by Taunton Blue Genie; 05-10-16 at 20:33.

52% of the population in one of the richest countries in the world have nothing or next to nothing to lose?
    And you consider me to be middle class without knowing anything about me.

All good stuff.
    Know nothing about you? Where do you get that impression?

You've got a Boomerang over your doorway on your Facebook photo. I could find out your address, age, workplace etc if I really could be arsed.

You've been on here for years posting regularly about your travels, now I'm not too sure what class you count yourself in, but regular travel is one of the things I would say is a middle to upper class thing.

I don't know many people on the bones of their arse taking little trips to every few months.