+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A lot worse than I thought

A lot worse than I thought

Yesterday's game at Burton was my second City match this season after a four-year absence and I was genuinely surprised by how poor it was. The Fulham game I attended earlier in the year lacked quality, especially during a dire first half, but yesterday's contest was on a different level altogether. Burton appeared extremely limited by Championship standards, but the reality is they had to do very little other than stay organised in order to comfortably defeat a Cardiff side that appears almost totally bereft of pace, creativity and movement in key areas.

In recent seasons, the City defence has apparently been solid enough as a rule, but yesterday it looked fragile. Maybe confidence among the defenders has been affected by a combination of bad results and one of the best keepers in the division leaving the club, but whatever the reason for their current form, they simply don't look capable of keeping a clean sheet at present.

Before the game at Fulham, I was told by a couple of mates to keep an eye on Lex Immers as he was a player they thought would impress me. In the event, Immers was poor at Fulham and virtually anonymous yesterday, while the performances of the rest of the midfielders at the Pirelli Stadium were ponderous and predictable. Joe Ralls was especially ineffective, while Craig Noone and Peter Whittingham provided little by way of service for the forwards.

Up front, Rickie Lambert offered only a limited threat to a Burton defence that looked untroubled for most of the afternoon, while Fred Gounongbe and Kenneth Zohore simply didn't look up to Championship standard after their introductions. I'd love to know how those two ended up in South Wales, but I very much doubt that Paul Trollope or Russell Slade had a lot to do with either transfer.

Judging by what the lads told me about Tuesday's defeat to Derby and having witnessed yesterday's effort at Burton, the rot really does appear to have set in at Cardiff City. Not only does confidence appear to be shot, but heads clearly went down after Burton netted their second. The response to that goal was weak to say the least.

Before watching yesterday's game, I believed City were too good to get relegated from the Championship this season despite the recent poor results. I was convinced that the team had mid-table written all over it, but now I'm not so sure. The manager already seems to have run out of ideas and the players appear to be lacking not only in confidence but also in spirit. The signs are not good at all.
    Last edited by The Lone Gunman; 02-10-16 at 11:16.

Re: A lot worse than I thought

You do realise that you've fecked things up for your fan club now you've started going to matches again?

The old classic of 'if you no longer support the club then piss off because it's none of your business' isn't relevant any more.

They'll have to find another angle to slag you off now.

You inconsiderate bastard.

Good write up, nice to see you've started watching a few matches again. Shame the team are absolute shite!

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Yesterday's game at Burton was my second City match this season after a four-year absence and I was genuinely surprised by how poor it was. The Fulham game I attended earlier in the year lacked quality, especially during a dire first half, but yesterday's contest was on a different level altogether. Burton appeared extremely limited by Championship standards, but the reality is they had to do very little other than stay organised in order to comfortably defeat a Cardiff side that appears almost totally bereft of pace, creativity and movement in key areas.

In recent seasons, the City defence has apparently been solid enough as a rule, but yesterday it looked fragile. Maybe confidence among the defenders has been affected by a combination of bad results and one of the best keepers in the division leaving the club, but whatever the reason for their current form, they simply don't look capable of keeping a clean sheet at present.

Before the game at Fulham, I was told by a couple of mates to keep an eye on Lex Immers as he was a player they thought would impress me. In the event, Immers was poor at Fulham and virtually anonymous yesterday, while the performances of the rest of the midfielders at the Pirelli Stadium were ponderous and predictable. Joe Ralls was especially ineffective, while Craig Noone and Peter Whittingham provided little by way of service for the forwards.

Up front, Rickie Lambert offered only a limited threat to a Burton defence that looked untroubled for most of the afternoon, while Fred Gounongbe and Kenneth Zohore simply didn't look up to Championship standard after their introductions. I'd love to know how those two ended up in South Wales, but I very much doubt that Paul Trollope or Russell Slade had a lot to do with either transfer.

Judging by what the lads told me about Tuesday's defeat to Derby and having witnessed yesterday's effort at Burton, the rot really does appear to have set in at Cardiff City. Not only does confidence appear to be shot, but heads clearly went down after Burton netted their second. The response to that goal was weak to say the least.

Before watching yesterday's game, I believed City were too good to get relegated from the Championship this season despite the recent poor results. I was convinced that the team had mid-table written all over it, but now I'm not so sure. The manager already seems to have run out of ideas and the players appear to be lacking not only in confidence but also in spirit. The signs are not good at all.
    So sad but true.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Lecter View Post
    You do realise that you've fecked things up for your fan club now you've started going to matches again?

The old classic of 'if you no longer support the club then piss off because it's none of your business' isn't relevant any more.

They'll have to find another angle to slag you off now.

You inconsiderate bastard.
    Apologies. However, I should point out that I don't actively support the club as such. I sat in the neutral section at Craven Cottage and, although I was on the away terrace at Burton, I was more observer than supporter. And you certainly won't catch me at a home game until Tan has slung his hook.

Things are clearly grim, though. The days out with the lads are great fun as always, but it seems that so many fans I would class as real diehards have now reached the stage where they could barely care less about the team. They seem to be going to matches purely for social reasons. The football itself seems incidental. It's a situation I've never encountered before.

Apologies. However, I should point out that I don't actively support the club as such.
    if you no longer support the club then piss off because it's none of your business

Apologies. However, I should point out that I don't actively support the club as such. I sat in the neutral section at Craven Cottage and, although I was on the away terrace at Burton, I was more observer than supporter. And you certainly won't catch me at a home game until Tan has slung his hook.

Things are clearly grim, though. The days out with the lads are great fun as always, but it seems that so many fans I would class as real diehards have now reached the stage where they could barely care less about the team. They seem to be going to matches purely for social reasons. The football itself seems incidental. It's a situation I've never encountered before.
    It used to be like that back in the 80s also when we were shit.
    Lads I went with then just went for something to do.
    Lots of others were far more interested in fighting than the game as well.
    Have to say that for a while my interest dropped then, especially as I was playing regularly and the football was so dire.

Plenty of people interested in the team when we are doing well, interest wanes when we do badly. It's normal.

The last few seasons have seen a gradual decline, taking us back to what we were in the early 80's - no surprise if some who went through all that and thought it was all behind them aren't enthralled about a repeat dose.

Then there's the success of Wales, which is far easier to support at the moment. Almost a reversal of a few years back.

The comment about the social side is valid.To be honest if my mates stopped going I probably would now.However we enjoy our get together on a Saturday and the football whilst not good has not given reason to walk away.However I do sense disillusionment setting in with comments like 'not sure if I will re-new next year'.
    There is no spirit in the side,Trollope does engender any passion and the management of the club tells fans little.
    I have no doubt that we will still be there next year whatever is being said now but there is a malaise in the club that is like a death induced by a thousand cuts.Sad days indeed,

90 minutes in the middle of a good day out, you're correct in saying that the football seems secondary to meeting mates, having a laugh and a few beers, if we were going purely for the football the number of fans going would be comfortably accommodated on a tandem. It's the gallows humour returning, perhaps its the way it should be with The City, good to see you though

Thats not true is it? I dont dispute people are going for social reasons but thats just like the bad old days on the pitch.

Great days out no one gives a sh!t about football . We will soon be back in L2 at this rate and it will be just like the old days.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    90 minutes in the middle of a good day out, you're correct in saying that the football seems secondary to meeting mates, having a laugh and a few beers, if we were going purely for the football the number of fans going would be comfortably accommodated on a tandem. It's the gallows humour returning, perhaps its the way it should be with The City, good to see you though
    Absolutely Steve , the football was lacking but the crowd were first class .

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Thats not true is it?
    It's absolutely true. Of course, there have always been plenty of people who go to home and away games primarily for social reasons rather than the football itself, but I'm talking about some of the real diehards here - people who have always previously been passionate about the club and the team regardless of how bad the results and performances got.

There is a real malaise within the club and its fanbase at present. People can pretend that isn't so if they like, but it's palpable. There are lots of genuine, lifelong supporters who were there during the dungeon days and were passionate during those times but have now reached the stage where they couldn't care less about what club or the team is doing. There are many factors that have brought about that situation, but I'm 100% confident that it is by no means simply down to what is happening on the field.

It's absolutely true. Of course, there have always been plenty of people who go to home and away games primarily for social reasons rather than the football itself, but I'm talking about some of the real diehards here - people who have always previously been passionate about the club and the team regardless of how bad the results and performances got.

There is a real malaise within the club and its fanbase at present. People can pretend that isn't so if they like, but it's palpable. There are lots of genuine, lifelong supporters who were there during the dungeon days and were passionate during those times but have now reached the stage where they couldn't care less about what club or the team is doing. There are many factors that have brought about that situation, but I'm 100% confident that it is by no means simply down to what is happening on the field.
    Spot on 100%.

Agreed and it's even worse at home Dave.

I reckon you saw our best forty five minutes, by some distance, of our season at Fulham.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Agreed and it's even worse at home Dave.

I reckon you saw our best forty five minutes, by some distance, of our season at Fulham.
    At Craven Cottage, the introduction of Kadeem Harris seemed to freshen things up considerably, but yesterday his arrival didn't make much difference even if he did look livelier than most of his teammates. It's a mystery to me why he isn't being given a start. A few of the lads were discussing it beforehand and nobody could provide an answer.

Who is this pr@ck? What a complete knobhead!!

Quote Originally Posted by PerryJason View Post

Irony, right there

he is the Lone gunman, he shoots from the hip with rapier wit

No really he does

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    he is the Lone gunman, he shoots from the hip with rapier wit

No really he does
    he does sound like a right attention seeking fool to me

he does sound like a right attention seeking fool to me
    I haven't been to one game since rebrand,Premier league included.
    Season ticket holder for 12 years.1st game 78.
    We still have a right to an opinion if thats ok with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Biggy G View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Biggy G View Post
    is it some sort of religious cult?

So along with the 2 kids who got hold of the players shirts that's 3 people in the away end who went home happy.

Quote Originally Posted by CCFC CASUAL View Post
    So along with the 2 kids who got hold of the players shirts that's 3 people in the away end who went home happy.
    Would not have to wash them no sweat or mud on them.

Quote Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
    Would not have to wash them no sweat or mud on them.
    The kids must be washed. Its Sunday and there's school tomorrow it's not up for negotiation.