+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: The Bluebirds Academy and DVP thread...

Re: The Bluebirds Academy and DVP thread...

Quote Originally Posted by Undercoverinwurzelland View Post
    New signing - Finlay Johnson, a striker from Stevenage. https://www.cardiffcityfc.co.uk/news...son-signs-city

According to Stevenage's website we've agreed "an undisclosed compensation package". Can we do that?
    https://www.stevenagefc.com/news/202...otball-league/
    Might have just offered to play a friendly there or something. To only give him a one year deal would suggest was minimal.

Hope he's as good a striker as his Dad, Andy. The bald one who played for Palace!

Quote Originally Posted by ccfcwelshlad View Post
    Might have just offered to play a friendly there or something. To only give him a one year deal would suggest was minimal.

Hope he's as good a striker as his Dad, Andy. The bald one who played for Palace!
    I'm sure (to be polite) that it was all checked and okayed. I assume this means one of Crole, Ashford or Zimba might be going out on loan.

F1k8d_aWcAEiHHl.jpg

Young team (I mean for an U21 game) for Cambrian and Clydach. No King, Semenyo, Colwill J, Antwi, Conte, Turner, Kavanagh, Kenniford.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnysideup View Post
    I’m not sure if they’ve announced the new intake yet mate
    It’s Cardiff after all lol ��
    Dan Ola is from Port Talbot
    They’re playing against Everton tomorrow so that’ll be a good test ����
    Quite a few lads from 'West Glamorgan'. Kpakio, Mafico and Ola. Has Lester signed as well? Ola looks an athlete, how come he has not been capped at U15 or U16 level for Wales; they are not flush with Strikers in his age group?

Apparently Lewys Benjamin has signed for Wolves.

Now I consider myself a reasonable man, not angry, not argumentative; but please can no-one say "good luck to the lad", because I just don't feel that way.

I've dreamt my whole life of playing for the City. At the age of 56, admittedly that's unlikely. So when someone turns down that chance I consider them to be a bit of a ....

I don't wish them ill, but I do hope that they rue the the day they turned down the City, my club.

Quote Originally Posted by AdrianAlston View Post
    Apparently Lewys Benjamin has signed for Wolves.

Now I consider myself a reasonable man, not angry, not argumentative; but please can no-one say "good luck to the lad", because I just don't feel that way.

I've dreamt my whole life of playing for the City. At the age of 56, admittedly that's unlikely. So when someone turns down that chance I consider them to be a bit of a ....

I don't wish them ill, but I do hope that they rue the the day they turned down the City, my club.
    It's a bit of a strange one. Going to Man City, I understand, but Wolves? Really? Hardly a particularly good recent record of bringing through players. The only ones I can think of really is Morgan Gibbs-White who they ended up alienating to the point he went to Forest and Ryan Giles who's never played for them.

2-2 at full-time (own goal and Ashford), 4-3 on pens. Looked as if they were 3-1 up on pens and missed their last two and then the sudden death. Looked exciting on Twitter, probably more so in real life. The Nathaniel MG Cup dream lives on. Lewys Benjamin won't get this at Wolves.

Sounds like good entertainment

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    It's a bit of a strange one. Going to Man City, I understand, but Wolves? Really? Hardly a particularly good recent record of bringing through players. The only ones I can think of really is Morgan Gibbs-White who they ended up alienating to the point he went to Forest and Ryan Giles who's never played for them.
    Cash. He'll be set for life probably. I don't blame him but I do think it is a weird move.

The irony of the Lewys Benjamin situation is that he was the only one of the eight I believe it was City players in the squad who did not see game time for Wales in the under 17 Euros. Martyn Margetson’s son played in the first game and then he was displaced by City’s Luke Armstrong for the last two - Armstrong having been picked up from Wolves’ Academy (where he had been since the age of seven) by us.

I don’t get to watch anywhere near as much under 18s football as I used to, so I’ve not seen a great deal of either Benjamin or Armstrong (the former was very good in the inder 21 match I saw him play in mind). However, it might be that Benjamin’s decision to join Wolves was influenced in some part by the possibility that his path could be blocked at Cardiff by a player that the Midlands team, apparently, released!

It might be as well that the story of George Ratcliffe influenced Benjamin - Ratcliffe was identified as the best prospect out of the talented group of youngsters coming through three or four years ago by Wales Online, yet did not get a sniff of first team action in contrast to someone brought in from Palace who, in my opinion, has been no better than decent for the Under 21s, yet has already made a league debut for us and is established as our third choice keeper following Dillon Phillips’ departure.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebirdman Of Alcathays View Post
    That was my first thought. Wasn't he on trial here last year too?
    I vaguely remember someone for Stevenage playing a game on trial, for the under 21s I think it was, towards the end of last season.

On the face of it, a bit weird. Keeper is obviously the position you get blocked the easiest by somebody in your same age group, but then why you'd choose to go to the team that probably has some of the least paths for British youngsters in the country because half of their team comes from the Portugese setup I'm not really sure. Good luck to him, but a big step down from Man City for his future career.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    The irony of the Lewys Benjamin situation is that he was the only one of the eight I believe it was City players in the squad who did not see game time for Wales in the under 17 Euros. Martyn Margetson’s son played in the first game and then he was displaced by City’s Luke Armstrong for the last two - Armstrong having been picked up from Wolves’ Academy (where he had been since the age of seven) by us.

I don’t get to watch anywhere near as much under 18s football as I used to, so I’ve not seen a great deal of either Benjamin or Armstrong (the former was very good in the inder 21 match I saw him play in mind). However, it might be that Benjamin’s decision to join Wolves was influenced in some part by the possibility that his path could be blocked at Cardiff by a player that the Midlands team, apparently, released!

It might be as well that the story of George Ratcliffe influenced Benjamin - Ratcliffe was identified as the best prospect out of the talented group of youngsters coming through three or four years ago by Wales Online, yet did not get a sniff of first team action in contrast to someone brought in from Palace who, in my opinion, has been no better than decent for the Under 21s, yet has already made a league debut for us and is established as our third choice keeper following Dillon Phillips’ departure.
    Ratcliffe, unfortunately, didn’t kick on because of injuries and because he didn't grow. He simply wasn't tall enough for a pro goalie, he made Ron Healey look a giant

Quote Originally Posted by AdrianAlston View Post
    Ratcliffe, unfortunately, didn’t kick on because of injuries and because he didn't grow. He simply wasn't tall enough for a pro goalie, he made Ron Healey look a giant
    That’s not how I remember him, he never struck me as small for a keeper and if he was, Healey was one of the better City keepers I’ve seen. As someone who is old enough to remember goalkeepers who were five foot eight tall and still enjoyed long careers in the First Division, I’m not convinced by the modern thinking that keepers have to be giants - especially during an era where most of them stay rooted to their line when a cross comes in.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Cash. He'll be set for life probably. I don't blame him but I do think it is a weird move.
    in fairness, Wolves might not be man city, but they still have a better current record of producing players than we do

That’s not how I remember him, he never struck me as small for a keeper and if he was, Healey was one of the better City keepers I’ve seen. As someone who is old enough to remember goalkeepers who were five foot eight tall and still enjoyed long careers in the First Division, I’m not convinced by the modern thinking that keepers have to be giants - especially during an era where most of them stay rooted to their line when a cross comes in.
    Neil Alexander, Mark Grew, Tony Elliot, Jon Roberts were all short for keepers. Draculas ...

Les Green springs to mind. Cloughy had him at two clubs.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Les Green springs to mind. Cloughy had him at two clubs.
    And Colin Boulton the man who replaced him. There was also Laurie Sivell at Ipswich - they were slightly before my time, but the Springett.brothers never struck me as that either.

Taz Mayembe, one of our old next big things, has joined Goytre United of the Cymru South

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Taz Mayembe, one of our old next big things, has joined Goytre United of the Cymru South
    Was wondering what had happened to him.

Just seen that. It’s a bit disappointing.

The first year scholars enjoyed an outing against Everton yesterday afternoon.
    Kick off was delayed due to the traffic and our late arrival.
    City dominated the majority of the game with an our striker Nyakuhwa scoring a half volley which flew diagonally into the bottom corner.
    Half time we held a deserved lead but only got outdone in the second half when a headed flick on was looped over our advancing keeper
    One all was flattering for the home side but the experience will do our lads the world of good ⚽️

And Colin Boulton the man who replaced him. There was also Laurie Sivell at Ipswich - they were slightly before my time, but the Springett.brothers never struck me as that either.
    Peter Bonetti was no giant if I recall.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Peter Bonetti was no giant if I recall.
    True, I think there could have been those in the modern game who would have doubts as to whether Gordon Banks was tall enough - Joe Corrigan was regarded as a giant in his say, but I’d say he was no more than average height by modern standards.

True, I think there could have been those in the modern game who would have doubts as to whether Gordon Banks was tall enough - Joe Corrigan was regarded as a giant in his say, but I’d say he was no more than average height by modern standards.
    Evolution I s’pose, people in general seem to be taller, my boy towers over me. It wasn’t just goalies in our day though, Ron Davies was magnificent in the air, yet was ‘only’ six foot tall, Ian Ure was the same height yet seemed like a giant at the time. Jack Charlton & Wyn the Leap, 6ft 2in but they seemed huge. I reckon there’s a few knocking about now in the 6ft 4/6ft 5 + bracket and it’s not that unusual.