+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: The Bluebirds Academy and DVP thread...

Re: The Bluebirds Academy and DVP thread...

Quote Originally Posted by Undercoverinwurzelland View Post
    Ollie Denham recalled from Dundee United. No surprise as he barely played.
    The fact that he barely played there probably means they didn't think he was good enough

There's a comment on their forum that suggests that he won't be missed

https://boards.footymad.net/showthre...313546&page=27

I would imagine he would be a much cheaper bench warmer than Panzo who has to be regarded as a mistake and probably an expensive one

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/spor...-ollie-denham/

A bit more explaining his time at Dundee Utd.

Has the tactic of picking up youngsters released by Prem or even championship clubs ever worked? The closest is probably Bagan, and we're not sure what's going to happen to him. Sang almost broke through permanently. Have I missed someone? Perhaps if they're being let go they're not going to be Championship (and above) standard. If they were, they'd be seen as at least a small financial asset and not just released (e.g. McGuinness).

Why do we think we can bring players through when QPR and Blackpool, for instance, have given up?

(For all this, maybe Denham will return with a greater sense of purpose and become part of the 1st team squad).

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebirdman Of Alcathays View Post
    https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/spor...-ollie-denham/

A bit more explaining his time at Dundee Utd.

Has the tactic of picking up youngsters released by Prem or even championship clubs ever worked? The closest is probably Bagan, and we're not sure what's going to happen to him. Sang almost broke through permanently. Have I missed someone? Perhaps if they're being let go they're not going to be Championship (and above) standard. If they were, they'd be seen as at least a small financial asset and not just released (e.g. McGuinness).

Why do we think we can bring players through when QPR and Blackpool, for instance, have given up?

(For all this, maybe Denham will return with a greater sense of purpose and become part of the 1st team squad).
    We picked up Ajayi on loan initially then permanently when his contract ran out at Arsenal. Obviously that benefitted Rotherham rather than us ultimately but I guess it shows that we're capable of picking up a decent 'reject'.

It's always going to be a hit and miss strategy, of course, but plenty of top players were rejected as youngsters. My eldest just mentioned Eze. He got released by Millwall at 18 (by Neil Harris) and by Arsenal, Fulham and Reading before that as far as I can make out. Declan Rice turned out half decent too as another example but it's a long list. It's something you'd expect the club to be looking at I'd have thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Loramski View Post
    We picked up Ajayi on loan initially then permanently when his contract ran out at Arsenal. Obviously that benefitted Rotherham rather than us ultimately but I guess it shows that we're capable of picking up a decent 'reject'.

It's always going to be a hit and miss strategy, of course, but plenty of top players were rejected as youngsters. My eldest just mentioned Eze. He got released by Millwall at 18 (by Neil Harris) and by Arsenal, Fulham and Reading before that as far as I can make out. Declan Rice turned out half decent too as another example but it's a long list. It's something you'd expect the club to be looking at I'd have thought.
    Fair point. I was looking at it with my Cardiff blinkers on.

Quote Originally Posted by Former Labour leader View Post
    Fulham score with breakaway. 1-2

Shame. City played well.
    I saw Fulham had drawn Swansea in the next round of the Youth Cup which was a bit frustrating as that would've been winnable for us - with a trip to Liverpool or Arsenal in the next round if we'd progressed. Just checked to see how that went and Fulham won 5-0. It was played on Wednesday so Swansea went out of the junior and senior FA Cups 5-0 on successive nights. Shit happens.

I'm missing something with the Youth Cup. Liverpool sneaked past Fleetwood then beat Arsenal 7-1. Man Utd lost 2-0 to Swindon, which seems bizarre. No Biancheri for United but Charlie Crew has been playing for Leeds, who are through to the 5th round.

Down to earth with a bump for the u18s - 5-0 defeat at Watford.

Quote Originally Posted by Undercoverinwurzelland View Post
    Fagan-Walcott has joined Dunfermline on loan in the Scottish championship.
    We seem to be sending a lot of our young players to Scotland.
    Excellent debut for him yesterday, from what I can make out, as Dunfermline drew 0-0 at league leaders Dundee United. Fans and management have been singing his praises. One fan wanted him to be given a lifelong contract but he should be careful what he wishes for, we tried that with Bacuna and it didn't come off.

Excellent debut for him yesterday, from what I can make out, as Dunfermline drew 0-0 at league leaders Dundee United. Fans and management have been singing his praises. One fan wanted him to be given a lifelong contract but he should be careful what he wishes for, we tried that with Bacuna and it didn't come off.
    Encouraging to hear. Hope he keeps it up.

The under 21s are at home to QPR at Leckwith today kick off 2 o clock. If you're not going, you can watch the usual live stream of the match on You Tube.

He's 21, played in the Champions League 4 years ago. Why has he not featured for our first team this season!

Quote Originally Posted by alan_corneli View Post
    He's 21, played in the Champions League 4 years ago. Why has he not featured for our first team this season!
    ..because he's only 21.... needs time to mature.....(this is meant to have a tinge of sarcasm...)

Just seen the transfer story of midfielder Adam Wharton (19) from Blackburn to Palace for £18m rising to £22m.

He came through the Blackburn academy and has 51 appearances for the club (26 last season - 2 goals).

England u20 - so recognised quality.

Hopefully the day will come soon when that sort of story (including 51 appearances by age 19) will apply to Cardiff!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68141875

Albert Adomah playing for QPR today.

0-0 at half time, QPR are unbeaten in three months, but they should be behind. Clan Ashford hit the post with a great shot from thirty yards and Raheem Conte should have scored from at least one of two very presentable chances he’s had. They both came from breaks from a QPR with Will Spiers to the fore, but he took too long over the first chance and the keeper was able to save and then he was a bit unlucky when Spiers, Ashford and Fin zJohnson combined to set him up ten yards out, this time he beat the keeper, but a defender made a good clearance off the line.

1-0 to QPR, although, unlike the senior team, there is the odd moment of excitement, watching the under 21s at home lately is quite like watching the first eleven - you always have the feeling we’re not going to score. City have fifteen minutes left to prove me wrong.

Who is our no. 8? I'm not impressed at all. He seems to be running around as if he'd prefer to be somewhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by alan_corneli View Post
    Who is our no. 8? I'm not impressed at all. He seems to be running around as if he'd prefer to be somewhere else.
    Ryan Kavanagh - he gives away too many free kicks for me and, like Joel Colwill, it struck me that he had been told to concentrate on the ugly, unappreciated side of the game today,, you know that sort of things that us mere punters are told we miss. Kavanagh hit two magnificent long passes within thirty seconds to show the ability he has got, but I thought we looked like a team where such things were discouraged today, we were just meh.

QPR won 2-0 and at the end of the game, I was left thinking that City must be the Championship team with the lowest percentage of natural finishers on their books.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Ryan Kavanagh - he gives away too many free kicks for me and, like Joel Colwill, it struck me that he had been told to concentrate on the ugly, unappreciated side of the game today,, you know that sort of things that us mere punters are told we miss. Kavanagh hit two magnificent long passes within thirty seconds to show the ability he has got, but I thought we looked like a team where such things were discouraged today, we were just meh.

QPR won 2-0 and at the end of the game, I was left thinking that City must be the Championship team with the lowest percentage of natural finishers on their books.
    Why is Finlay Johnson playing?. He adds nothing and never looks like scoring.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post

Is it time for a change at this level in respect of the manager , as results have been poor of late , especially give what you have just observed.

Quote Originally Posted by pomeroy View Post
    Why is Finlay Johnson playing?. He adds nothing and never looks like scoring.
    😊Someone I was sat near at the game said he was a relative (son?) of the former WBA striker Andy Johnson who is a friend of coach Darren Purse

Quote Originally Posted by Ninian1962 View Post
    😊Someone I was sat near at the game said he was a relative (son?) of the former WBA striker Andy Johnson who is a friend of coach Darren Purse
    Yes, he is Andy Johnson’s son Keith.

Part of a young footballer’s education is to get some experience of playing in positions they’re not used to, but, looking at the way we were set up today, we had, in my opinion, players such as Joel Colwill, Antwi and Ashford in positions where you wouldn’t get the best out of them (Ashford was stuck out on the right wing).

I don’t know how much freedom the person in charge of the under 21s gets when it comes to things like tactics because he may be being told what to do from above, so I’m not sure getting rid of Darren Purse would help, but, although we’ve had big wins over the jacks and the wurzels, it feels like it’s been a poor season for the under 21s.

Just ;noticed I didn’t quote TWGL1s question, the above is an answer to it.

Everyone criticising Purse should remember what a whole hearted defender he was for the City.
    Doesn’t seem to have the same ability as a coach, very sadly.

James Crole headed on loan to Queen's Park. Hopefully goes better than his last loan

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    James Crole headed on loan to Queen's Park. Hopefully goes better than his last loan
    Should come up against Fagan-Walcott on Saturday week.

Eli King got 90 minutes in for Ross County at Livingston last night in a 2-2 draw. A 3,696 crowd, in contrast to the 58,850 that were at Celtic Park for his league debut on Saturday. Not sure how he played last night but it's interesting to see that the BBC report of Saturday's game gave him man of the match.

At the bottom of the page here.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68039658