Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
For those of us who watch our under 23s playing three at the back with wing backs on a good day and hope that is the way Mick McCarthy will go when he’s got chance to start building his own team there are contrasting signals. His championing and inclusion of Aden Flint endorses a three stopper type centre backs approach and based on what we’ve seen of Flint and Nelson in the past eighteen months and Morrison for almost seven years says the sort of playing out from the back that we see from the younger players will not be possible or advised in the first team - it also should be said that our goals for and against with Flint, Nelson and Morrison at the back, albeit over a relatively short time, is very good and there has to be a likelihood that breaking up the current to bring in a “passer” at the back would see a reduction in goals from set pieces.

As for wing backs, I’d say it was more encouraging in terms of playing more football while Ng and Bennett were playing there. I would be in favour of us using two players more at home at full back if those two were available given the general ineffectiveness of our wingers over the past three seasons, but Bennett’s injury has put the kibosh on that. If Osei-Tutu could play on the left, I’d get him in the team as soon as possible to play left wing back, but I wonder about whether he’d be ready to do so much before early to mid April.
Ng is comfortable on his left so he could go in there whilst Osei-Tutu goes to right back

Due to his age I imagine Nelson is the safest of the 3 in terms of keeping his place, 27 isn't particularly old for a centre back. Morrison is 30 so we will have to plan for someone to replace him whilst at 31 (32 in the summer) Flint is probably the one who will make way first. Brown is probably lined up to come in for him and would provide more balance to have a left footed player in there. I wouldn't be against trying Pack out in defence in pre season