+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Quite a day for Scottie Scheffler!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quite a day for Scottie Scheffler!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/golf/articles/ce7r83p87r3o

World number one Scottie Scheffler has been charged with assaulting a police officer outside Valhalla Golf Club hours before his second round at the US PGA Championship.

Scheffler was released just in time to take to the course on Friday for his tee-off time of 10.08am (15:08 BST).

The Louisville Metropolitan Department of Corrections, who posted a mugshot of the 27-year-old, said he was booked in at 7.28am local time and released at 8.40am.

Speaking as he arrived at the course for his second round, Scheffler said the incident was a "big misunderstanding".

Scheffler was charged with second-degree assault of a police officer, third-degree criminal mischief, reckless driving and disregarding traffic signals from an officer.

Scheffler's lawyer Steve Romines said "multiple eyewitnesses confirmed that he did not do anything wrong but was simply proceeding as directed".

Romines added: "He stopped immediately upon being directed to and never at any point assaulted any officer with his vehicle. We will litigate this matter as needed."

Play at this year’s second major was delayed by 80 minutes on Friday because of an unrelated accident near the course.

Louisville Metro Police Department (LMPD) said a shuttle bus had struck and killed a pedestrian outside the golf club.

Scheffler, who was not involved in the accident, reportedly attempted to avoid the scene of the incident before being stopped.

“This morning, I was proceeding as directed by police officers," Scheffler said.

"It was a very chaotic situation, understandably so considering the tragic accident that had occurred earlier, and there was a big misunderstanding of what I thought I was being asked to do.

"I never intended to disregard any of the instructions. I’m hopeful to put this to the side and focus on golf today.

“Of course, all of us involved in the tournament express our deepest sympathies to the family of the man who passed away in the earlier accident this morning. It truly puts everything in perspective.”

Videos of the scene outside the course in Louisville, Kentucky, showed Scheffler handcuffed and being guided into the back of a police car.

Scheffler, who has won four of his last five events, carded a four-under-par 67 in the first round on Thursday after a remarkable start that saw him hole a 167-yard nine-iron for an eagle-two on the opening hole.

He is chasing a third successive victory after winning the Masters and RBC Heritage in April before taking three weeks off for the birth of his first child.

Re: Quite a day for Scottie Scheffler!

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Handcuffing him and taking him to jail seems to be quite an over reaction to going down a side road he shouldn’t, unless something else happened

Ah just read on an updated article he was also charged with reckless driving, failing to stop and assaulting a police officer so quite a bit more than the original article!

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Don Corleone View Post
    Ah just read on an updated article he was also charged with reckless driving, failing to stop and assaulting a police officer so quite a bit more than the original article!
    A police officer had his hand on the car door handle as Scheffler drove off. The Louisville PD are notorious for their over reaction to most things allegedly.

Could have been worse if the officer was holding a gun.

Hes in incredible form at the moment as well. Wonder if this will have any impact.?

Golfers are pricks. This episode just proves it.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lung View Post
    Golfers are pricks. This episode just proves it.
    Ah, so he’s a golfer?

I had honestly never heard the name before.

That’s my golf fix for the next 25 years sorted!

I

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Ah, so he’s a golfer?

I had honestly never heard the name before.

That’s my golf fix for the next 25 years sorted!
    You didn’t know , did you ? Neither did I , luckily Mr Lung has come along to enlighten us …

I watched some of the golf last night and the commentators seemed to be sympathetic towards him, which was a little uncomfortable. Misunderstanding, as he described it, or not, he's still been charged.
    Playing golf to the standard he did though, despite what happened, was pretty impressive.