+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: The Bluebirds Academy and DVP thread...

Re: The Bluebirds Academy and DVP thread...

In fact Mick also gave Denham his debut against Brighton so the only players Morison debuted were Zimba (45 minutes) and Semenyo (about 45 seconds)

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Incredibily, Mick has given chances to loads of young players throughout his career. Morison also knew Colwill had something and played a midfield of Rinomhota, Sawyers and Wintle.

Re the u21s, Joel Colwill and Ashford aren't in the squad, so I guess they're in the first team squad for tomorrow. Can Ashford be worse than what Etete or Diedhiou have shown so far? They're so far out of their depth themselves, I fail to see how a youngster could be less effective.
    I'm all for playing Ashford, he looks a talent, but if we try to play him as an isolated target man like we do with Etete then he isn't going to be any better

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I'm all for playing Ashford, he looks a talent, but if we try to play him as an isolated target man like we do with Etete then he isn't going to be any better
    Absolutely. Doing that isn't going to help anyone, plus I think he usually plays as a second striker.

Quote Originally Posted by Undercoverinwurzelland View Post
    Absolutely. Doing that isn't going to help anyone, plus I think he usually plays as a second striker.
    I'd play Grant through the middle, with Ramsey, Colwill and Ashford off him.

1-0 to Colchester at half time. Pretty boring viewing, but City are unlucky to be losing - I thought the penalty award was a bit dodgy and having seen a replay of it, I’m not sure that it was offside when City put the ball in the net. Also been a good save from a shot by Giles I think it was and a header just wide by Twose.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    1-0 to Colchester from a penalty which looked very soft to me, but no one argued about the decision.

Some decent approach play from the u21s but not much end product- City's right back looks a tidy player.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    I'd play Grant through the middle, with Ramsey, Colwill and Ashford off him.
    That would be worth a try.

Quote Originally Posted by Undercoverinwurzelland View Post
    That would be worth a try.
    If we stick with 5 at the back, Colwill and Ramsey off Grant, with Turnbull and Sio sitting. Literally anything but 2 DMs and Turnbull as a 10.

Quote Originally Posted by D. Advocaat View Post
    Some decent approach play from the u21s but not much end product- City's right back looks a tidy player.
    That’s Semenyo, his City career seems to have stood still these last two seasons - he hasn’t played played much this time around.

1-1, Mafico (who always impresses me when I see him play) and Wigley combine down the left and sub Nyakhuwa heads in.

Finished 1-1, fair result in the end I’d say,

Finished 1-1, fair result in the end I’d say,
    Paul

You have far greater knowledge of these things than me and they didn`t have team sheets to hand out at the game but speaking to Gavin Chesterfield during half time he said that it was a very young team today with almost half of them first year scholars. He also pointed out that he has lost a number of the more senior players because the club has now sent them out on loan and they are so short on numbers that some of the players on the pitch today are also playing tomorrow (U18 game?)

Keith

1-1, Mafico (who always impresses me when I see him play) and Wigley combine down the left and sub Nyakhuwa heads in.
    Can you give any more info. about Mafico? Had a very tidy game.
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Ninian1962 View Post
    Paul

You have far greater knowledge of these things than me and they didn`t have team sheets to hand out at the game but speaking to Gavin Chesterfield during half time he said that it was a very young team today with almost half of them first year scholars. He also pointed out that he has lost a number of the more senior players because the club has now sent them out on loan and they are so short on numbers that some of the players on the pitch today are also playing tomorrow (U18 game?)

Keith
    The team this afternoon was

Thomas (barely seen him play)

Semenyo
    Lawlor (I like him, but he doesn’t seem to have played that much this season)
    Cook
    Giles (has played a fair bit for the under 21s, I take it Beecher is injured, because he’s not played for months)

Mafico
    Perrett
    Kenniford
    Wigley (another one who barely seems to have played this season)

George
    Johnson

The subs were Armstrong
    Antwi (why only a sub?)
    Nyakhuwa
    Talbot
    Edwards (never seen the last two play before)

I would have thought one of the keepers, Lawlor, Mafico, Perrett, Kenniford, George, Nyakhuwa, Talbot, Edward’s and, possibly, Giles could well be playing tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by pomeroy View Post
    Can you give any more info. about Mafico? Had a very tidy game.
    Cheers
    I’ve only seen him play four or five times and that was a pretty typical aficionado performance I’d say.He played an under 21 game about a year ago (might be two years actually) and did not look out of place at all, he has a calmness about him of a kind that the first team could use - don’t think he’ll ever be much of a goalscorer mind.

The team this afternoon was

Thomas (barely seen him play)

Semenyo
    Lawlor (I like him, but he doesn’t seem to have played that much this season)
    Cook
    Giles (has played a fair bit for the under 21s, I take it Beecher is injured, because he’s not played for months)

Mafico
    Perrett
    Kenniford

George
    Johnson

The subs were Armstrong
    Antwi (why only a sub?)
    Nyakhuwa
    Talbot
    Edwards (never seen the last two play before)

I would have thought one of the keepers, Lawlor, Mafico, Perrett, Kenniford, George, Nyakhuwa, Talbot, Edward’s and, possibly, Giles could well be playing tomorrow.

Which of that team would be the younger scholars?

Armstrong, Lawlor, Giles, Perrett and Giles were all in the Wales Under 17 squad for the Euros, so you’d think they.could play for the Academy team next season. Mafico would be in the same boat I think as would Talbot, Edwards and possibly George.

All of the players you mention at the start were given debuts by other managers rather than Morison apart from King and Denham and I was answering the charge that there have not been any opportunities to give young players games in lower pressure situations in recent years. There was an opportunity at the end of 21/22 when we had a run of about six matches when the clock was just ticking down on the season - having been humiliated at home by Swansea in the last game with anything riding on it of that campaign, Morison, largely, stuck with the “tried and tasted” and our results were pretty dreadful, so a chance to learn about some younger players was lost.

The argument that we’ve never had the chance to pick youngsters in recent years was in response to my comparison between the situation at City and Bristol City - based on what I’ve seen in age group football in matches between the two clubs over a period of twenty years and more, I see nothing to explain fully why they consistently produce young players that are sold to Premier League clubs and we don’t. Although, the fact (and it is a fact, not an opinion) that the wurzels are more willing to give young players a chance in league football has to be a factor as to why.
    I'm a bit confused. You said Morison didn't use youngsters at the end of that season, I said he was using five Academy products as well as Denham but apparently they all stopped being young as soon as they'd been given debuts so they don't count. I felt Morison was comfortable enough using youngsters (he wouldn't have brought Drameh, Doyle and Philogene in if he wasn't) but he just didn't rate most of ours.

Mick played them, Morison played them but results weren't great and they didn't demand a first team spot. We gave them a chance, they didn't take it, what then? Play the lesser youngsters and hope they do better or keep playing them through thick and thin and hope they improve? How's that going with Etete? How happy are posters on here that the club are standing by a youngster in his case (he's still younger than Isaak Davies last time I looked)?

I don't know enough about Bristol City to comment on them. It's certainly odd we seem on even terms when we play them at that level yet they produce more first teamers. But which of our youngsters in recent years would've gone for £25m if they'd been through their system do you think?

Looks like a young team for the u18s today, a Rob Tankiewicz of Cardiff City played for Wales under 15s yesterday and it appears he may be on our u18 bench today

https://x.com/CF11Academy/status/175...729763199?s=20

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Looks like a young team for the u18s today, a Rob Tankiewicz of Cardiff City played for Wales under 15s yesterday and it appears he may be on our u18 bench today

https://x.com/CF11Academy/status/175...729763199?s=20
    That's a big step up at that age.

Didn’t realise the under 18s were away today Keith, see the link to the team above Keith, I make it there are three players who were on for a half yesterday in the starting line up.

They’re 2-0 up at half time mind.

Finished 3-0.

I forgot to say this at the time but Wigley got a mention from Bulut (I say mention, Bulut seems to have forgotten his name) in the article I posted further up the thread. He's had a long term injury but has been training with the first team.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/...-news-28255185

U21s v Charlton this afternoon. Stream on YouTube.
    https://www.cardiffcityfc.co.uk/news...ton-athletic-0

Joel Colwill starts for the under 21s, no Ashford though.